When you’re getting into DIY and thinking about extending your toolkit or upgrading your garage, you might be considering a heavy duty air compressor. Why? Because these air compressors open a world of possibilities in pneumatic power tools and decorating techniques. This makes them invaluable when it comes to completing a range of projects so that you aren’t limited by smaller air compressors or a complete lack of air compressor in the first place.
If you are looking for an air compressor that offers you a huge range of tool options and capabilities, you have come to the right place. 60 gallon air compressors are the best options for professional users and the serious hobbyist as they allow you to use almost any tool and serve any purpose.
There are many different options out there, with a range of fuel sources, horsepower output and working life. Surf’n’Buy have found the three best 60 gallon air compressors on the market in 2020 to make sure that you get everything to fill your needs. These air compressors are suitable for anyone with a hobby to a professional garage so you can be sure we have the right option for you.
Top 60 Gallon Air Compressors
1. California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet
The California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet is designed with an oil free Piston Pump motor for less wear and less maintenance. With two powerful HP motors operate at only 1680 RPM to provide a life cycle before wear of 3000 hours so there is less wear and minimal noise. In fact, this air compressor runs at only 75 decibels, making it one of the quietest 4.0 HP air compressors available on the market at 30% less noise. This makes it perfect for busy work spaces where concentration is key.
The 60 gallon tank holds enough air to power any tool. The oil free design gives the California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet an incredibly low starting temperature capability and it is also able to work on uneven terrains, which is perfect for a professional garage and the serious home hobbyist. Designed for durability, this air compressor is made from robust steel which makes it highly reliable and stable so that it can take any knock and bump that comes from hard work and busy spaces.
- The oil free piston pump requires less maintenance and reduces the wear of the motor to ensure longevity whilst also giving the added benefits of low starting temperatures and the ability to start on uneven terrain.
- The double HP motor operates at 1680 RPM provides an incredible long lifetime of at least 3000 hours and works 30% more quietly than standard air compressors of this size, working at only 75 decibels, which is much less irritating than other models.
- The robust steel body is durable enough to allow this air compressor to handle anything, making it highly reliable and built to last.
- Capable of between 40 and 90 PSI depending on the CFM you need, this air compressor can handle almost any job.
- The California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet weighs over 200 pounds and has no features to make movement easy, so transport is very difficult with this air compressor.
- For such a large air compressor, the PSI levels this model is capable of are lower than other models available, so you may be limited with the tools you are able to power with this air compressor.
One of the best value 60 gallon air compressors on the market is the California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet. This air compressor is built for durability with a strong steel body and an oil free piston pump so there is little need for maintenance due to the low wear and tear suffered by the components of the air compressor. The oil free design also reduces noise up to 30% lower than standard models, which is perfect for those who need quiet when using an air compressor so that concentration is kept at its highest.
If you are looking for an air compressor that is capable of almost anything and will suit a professional garage or fulfil everything you need as a serious hobbyist, the California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet is a great option which won’t break the bank.
2. Campbell Hausfeld XC602100
The cast iron body of the Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 features a two stage, oil lubricated pump which is built for longevity and offers at least 5000 hours of work as well as reduced noise levels to make it one of the most highest quality options on the market. The maximum PSI of 175 makes this air compressor suitable from any job from grinding welds and heavy duty nailing to painting and decorating. This makes it suitable for a professional garage or those who are serious about their hobbies. No matter what you need from an air compressor, the Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 will deliver.
The motor of the air compressor works at 240 volts and a massive 3.7 horse power to create maximum air pressure at all times whilst maintaining a stable airflow and a longer running time. This is ideal for those with larger projects or who need a long running times to finish several projects. The space saving footprint maximizes floor space to fit into any space so that this air compressor doesn’t take up as much room as other models, which is great for compact and busy work spaces.
- The cast iron body is both durable and compact so that this air compressor can work in any space and can cope with multiple knocks and bumps without receiving damage or the pump shutting off.
- The high maximum PSI level allows you to use the Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 with almost any tool and for any purpose, making it one of the most versatile air compressors on the market.
- The strong 3.7 horse power maintains maximum air pressure and heightened stability whilst ensuring the longest possible running time. Combined, these features provide you with the most consistent air compressor on the market so that your painting and tool use doesn’t vary as the air pressure changes in the tank.
- With at least 5000 hours of working time, the oil lubricated pump also reduces wear and tear and the need for maintenance so that you can keep working as long as possible.
- The Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 weighs over 330 pounds which makes movement and transport very difficult if you need the air compressor in different areas of the garage.
- The power cord and air hoses are not supplied with the air compressor which requires you to purchase this separately at an extra cost.
- This air compressor is also slightly louder than other models at 84 decibels, which can be irritating for some.
- The on and off switch is a little bit weak which requires you to check on this during use to maintain a stable pressure.
One of the highest quality air compressors on the market is the Campbell Hausfeld XC602100. This air compressor is capable of almost anything due to the high PSI level and incredible power so that you can be sure you will receive consistent and reliable air pressure throughout your use. Suitable for use with any tool, this air compressor is perfect for both the garage, a small business or for serious hobbies.
3. Quincy QT-54
The Quincy QT-54 is designed to increase efficiency and decrease maintenance, as it runs at a slower 1310 RPM whilst maintaining a high CPM and incredibly high 175 PSI level allowing it to run cooler and at less cost. The single phase motor maintains a high air pressure output without any loss of efficiency so there are no concerns of pressure loss or unstable airflow. The industrial-duty Baldor motor has an unbelievably high 30,000 hour pump life so that you have a pump that is built to last for life. There is no need for replacement unless there is a case of fault so that you have an air compressor that works with you every step of the way.
With less than 5 PPM oil carry over during use, the Quincy QT-54 is incredibly low maintenance and consistency of power is unfettered. The only requirement is regular drainage and oil replacement. The motor has a built in thermal overload to ensure your safety should the capacitor overheat, which is ideal in garages where an overheating motor can pose serious threats should something go wrong.
- Designed for durability and incredible stability, the Quincy QT-54 is one of the most resilient 60 gallon air compressors on the market, perfect for busy work spaces.
- The slower RPM doesn’t sacrifice CPM or PSI, allowing the motor to run cooler, more efficiently and at less cost, making this air compressor both high performance and cost efficient.
- The Quincy QT-54 boasts a fantastic lifetime of 30,000 hours, giving you a high quality pump for much longer than other models on the market. If you need a pump for professional use, this is the one for you.
- With minimal oil carry over, the internal mechanisms are free from any possible issue which could cause a system fault. This means minimal maintenance and continuously high performance.
- At over 400 pounds, this is the heaviest option on our list, making it incredibly difficult to move should you need to.
- The drainage mechanism can sometimes leak which causes stains on the floor and can cause issues for the internal pressure. However, this can be solved with some Teflon tape on the threads.
- The pump can make rather loud knocking noises which can be irritating for some users, especially those who need to concentrate when using the air compressor.
- There is no display for vibration or approximate hours of use which means you will have to manually time and manage oil replacement.
The final product on our list is the Quincy QT-54. This air compressor is the perfect option for professionals who need a long lasting air compressor that is capable of filling almost any need. This air compressor has an incredibly long lifetime and a range of features which increase longevity and decrease maintenance needs. With everything you need to ensure safety and stability, you won’t be disappointed with this high quality 60 gallon air compressor. Although one of the heaviest models available, this air compressor is the perfect stationary air compressor for garages and professionals.
What You Will Be Using 60 Gallon Air Compressors For?
Due to the incredibly high power and therefore great versatility of 60 gallon air compressors, you can use these models for almost anything. They are suitable for a range of pneumatic tools as well as painting, welding, and wheel movement, so you are never limited by the amount of power you need from your air compressor. These air compressors are not suitable for tires and home use, however, because they are not designed to have a low enough PSI to serve these purposes properly. This makes these air compressors more suited for garages and businesses rather than hobbies and use around the home.
How much Horsepower Does a 60-Gallon Air Compressor Need?
The power of your air compressor is generally shown in horsepower units, so the motor is a key consideration when thinking about how much power your air compressor can generate. Standard air compressors can work from anywhere between 2 and 15 horsepower units and this can drastically change how much output your air compressor is capable of.
As standard, your air compressor will release about 4 CFM at 100 PSI for each unit of horsepower, so it is important to calculate the maximum levels of CPM and PSI you need for your most demanding tool. This will allow you to obtain the right air compressor with adequate horse power so that you’re not caught short by an air compressor that won’t suit your needs.
Single vs Two Stage
If you are looking for a new air compressor you may be wondering the difference between a single or a two stage air compressor and whether it really matters. The main difference between the two is the number of times the air gets compressed between the inlet valve nozzle. In a single, this is only once where in a double, this is twice.
Single stage compressors are known as piston compressors and a two stage compressor is also known as a double stage compressor. The two stage therefore does not immediately store the compressed air. Instead, it is moved to a smaller second piston for a second stroke before it is cooled and sent to a storage tank. This generally provides more energy and is more suitable for a wider range of tools because it gives out a higher PSI due to the additional pressure.
However, both kinds of air compressor are of similar size, which is why some may be confused over the difference. Two stage pumps are generally higher powered and suitable for a range of different things, which is why they are more geared towards use by a professional.
The most common power source for an air compressor is electricity. This is a much more reliable power source because there is no risk of running out of fuel unless there is a power cut. However, these are generally the least powerful air compressors available. Other air compressors are available with fuel sources such as diesel or gasoline, which are intended for exterior use as they emit fumes. These are some of the most powerful air compressors on the market and can offer a huge range of CPM and PSI capabilities to suit professionals. These options are not considered in this guide because they are usually higher than a 60 gallon tank.
That’s all we have for 60 gallon air compressors. We here at Surf’n’Buy cannot recommend these air compressors enough as they offer a huge range of options for tools and a great reliability so that they keep working as long as you need them to. These models offer a range of features for any user so that you are sure to find the right option for your needs. For those of you who are professionals and need a long lasting air compressor that fills any need and powers any tool, you can’t get any better than the Quincy QT-54. This air compressor has an unbelievably long lifetime and a high PSI and CPM rate to service any need and make sure that you get everything you need from your purchase.
If you are looking for a smaller scale air compressor that will fill the needs of a hobby or allow you to decorate around the home, the California Air Tools CAT-60040CAD Ultra Quiet air compressor and the Campbell Hausfeld XC602100 are two fantastic options that can even be used in a professional garage. No matter what you need from these 60 gallon air compressors, you are sure to get it.