When my aunt Sheila, adopted Fudge an adorable tortoiseshell American shorthair, we were all delighted. Especially since Horace her golden retriever didn’t seem at all put out by the presence of a new furry housemate in spite of his unshakeable belief in his rightful status as ruler of the roost.
However, our relief at the canine’s seeming acceptance of the newcomer was rather short lived when we discovered the less than altruistic reason behind it – a growing fondness for wet cat food. All attempts to thwart him failed. The clever canine had learnt the art of opening doors, nimbly leaping onto ledges meant to be easily accessible to felines and most importantly, waiting until the cat was out of sight to snag a mouthful or two from her food bowl.
At last, Aunt Sheila enlisted the help of my older cousin Mark to install a cat door, ensuring her beloved feline could get to settle down to dinner safe from Horace’s covetous gaze. (She also had him install another which led to Fudge’s litter box – all the better to prevent Horace from developing a belated fondness for cat litter too.) You too can restore some semblance of order among furry housemates with the right cat door.
And even if they all tend to be exceptionally well behaved, being able to provide them with an added touch of independence will certainly prove especially convenient. As with all our buyers guides, we’ve had our resident experts at Surf’n’Buy (on all things feline, in this case) provide us with products and accessories which they’ve used personally as well as helpful titbits which will prove invaluable in getting the most out of them. And that means we have every confidence they’ll work wonderfully for you too.
Top 6 Cat Doors
1. CEESC Cat Doors
Are you fed up of a moody tabby which wants to explore your garden to its heart’s content? If so, you’ll love the CEESC Cat Door which has been designed to make getting in and out as convenient as possible for your pet. This cat flap comes with four options ensuring you get to choose if you want your pet to hang out with you in the garden for some much needed exercise or keep it safe from the dangers of prowling the streets at night time. It even comes with a weather seal in the form of a brush strip to prevent any chilly draughts from making their way in.
And in addition to being easy for your cat to learn to use, it can also be installed with a minimum of fuss thanks to the detailed instructions provided. However, it’s worth noting that you will need to measure the circumference of your furry friend’s waist to ensure it’s less than 15.75 inches or 40 cm wide (you will also need to ensure your cat’s height at the shoulder is lower than the door’s height). The cat door is also suitable for pets which weigh less than 15.43 lbs.
And once you’re certain that your pet will be able to pass through it with ease, you’ll be able to look forward to enjoying the peace of mind the CEESC Cat Door will provide, enabling you to let your furry friend out when it’s safe and keep them in when it isn’t.
- A 4-way rotary knob-style switch: The CEESC Cat Door comes with four settings which will make it possible for you to keep your cat indoors, outdoors, let them enter or leave as they please or permit them to only go in one direction.
- An improved weather brush strip: Letting your cat come in and out may mean that bugs and cold air might just find their way into your home. Thanks to the CEESC Cat Door’s improved weather brush strip, you’ll be able to keep insects and the chill out.
- Detailed instructions for easy installation: This cat door comes with detailed step-by-step instructions which are easy to follow and which will enable you to install it with the least possible fuss.
- May be unsuitable for large breeds of cats: The CEESC Cat Door is mostly ideal for small to medium cats in terms of weight and size. Hence it may not be suitable for larger cats since they may not meet the weight or size requirements.
- May be difficult to install: Certain customers who purchased the CEESC Cat Door found it difficult to install.
With its 4-way rotary, knob-style switch, the CEESC Cat Door will provide you with the options you need to ensure your pet gets to enjoy the outdoors, plenty of exercise and sunshine, while also being able to keep it safe as well. The fact that it also comes with an improved weather brush strip to keep out the chill, frost and bugs is an added plus. And you will be able to look forward to detailed installation instructions from the manufacturer – all the better to ensure your pet is able to get to enjoy its benefits as soon as possible. However, it’s worth noting that this cat door is particularly suitable for small to medium sized cats and special attention must be paid to the manufacturer’s weight and size requirements to ensure your pet meets them.
2. PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush
Products which come with loads of delightful extras are simply a cut above the rest. Just like the PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush. Featuring an adorable cat’s head design in neutral white, this cat door is the perfect option for your pet to enjoy its meals and meet its hygiene needs in private. And in addition to its delightful aesthetics, it also comes with a brush to ensure your pet enjoys a soothing caress each time it passes through it. Which means you’ll be able to look forward to having less hair shed around your home while your cat gets to enjoy the feel of their fur being brushed at some of their favorite times of the day.
To make sure installing it is as convenient as possible, the manufacturer of the PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush has also provided a perforated cardboard cutout template as well as very high bond adhesive strips too. They’ve also ensured it can be fitted into both hollow and solid doors greater than 1.25 inches thick and have also provided instructions as well. All these qualities mean that this cat door is a superb option for enabling your pet to enjoy a touch of privacy and grooming while you get to enjoy a cleaner home too.
- A dual purpose cat door: The PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush has not only been designed to provide your pet with privacy but to also groom it as well and reduce the amount of fur shed in your home as a result.
- A versatile option: The PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush is ideal for both hollow and solid doors greater than 1.25 inches thick, providing you with an extra dimension of choice in terms of where to place it in your home.
- Ease of installation: The product also comes with a perforated cardboard cutout template, high bond adhesive strips and detailed instructions to ensure you’re able to install it in the shortest possible time.
- May require a stronger adhesive: Instances of customers who had purchased the PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush, having to purchase a stronger adhesive to glue it in were noted.
- May be knocked out by a pet: Certain customers who purchased the PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush noted that a bigger pet knocked it out and went through the opening.
Unlike most products which are merely functional, the PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush comes in a delightful cat’s head shape which is also at floor level, ensuring ease of access for your cat. What’s more, it even comes with a removable brush and will provide your pet with extra grooming while also reducing the amount of fur shed around your home. The manufacturer has also provided detailed instructions and ensured that you will also have the option of placing it in a hollow or solid door. And that means you’ll be able to protect your pet’s privacy with as much convenience as possible.
3. OWNPETS Pet Screen Door
Would you love to give your pets a bit more independence with regards to exploring your garden or taking care of their own hygiene needs? Would you also love to be able to keep them safe and protect them from wandering the neighborhood at night or during those winter months? Thanks to the wonder that’s the OWNPETS Pet Screen Door, you’ll be able to do just that. This cat flap is especially durable and robust thanks to the high quality ABS material and mesh yarn used in its manufacture.
And in addition to being ideal for all screen doors, it even comes with a magnetic feature which will close it behind your pet. What’s more, you’ll also be able to look forward to installing it with a minimum of fuss since the manufacturer will provide the detailed instructions required. And even though the manufacturer of OWNPETS Pet Screen Door has specified it’s suitable for small pets, it does come in a range of measurements.
All you have to do to find out if yours is the right size is take its measurements as requested. If your pet does happen to be the right size, you will be able to look forward to an amazing cat door which is not only capable of keeping out UV rays but will also withstand the teeth of any bigger pet attempting to force its way through.
- A high quality, durable product: The OWNPETS Pet Screen Door has been manufactured using high quality ABS material and mesh yarn. It is also especially robust and will withstand any bites from a mischievous pet determined to get through.
- Magnetic automatic close feature: The OWNPETS Pet Screen Door also features a special magnet which will ensure it will shut behind your pet saving you the trouble of having to do so yourself.
- Helpful extras: In addition to being especially durable and being capable of shutting on its own behind your pet, this cat door also comes in a range of sizes and is also capable of keeping UV rays out as well.
- May be unsuitable for larger pets: Although the OWNPETS Pet Screen Door comes in a range of sizes, it may be unsuitable for cats belonging to larger breeds.
- May be difficult to put together: Customers who purchased the OWNPETS Pet Screen Door noted difficulties in assembling the product.
Especially designed to be robust and durable, the OWNPETS Pet Screen Door is an ideal choice if you wish to give your pets a little more freedom and independence. Thanks to the presence of a magnetic can, it will shut right after your cat goes out. What’s more, it will also keep out bugs and UV rays too. And there’s no need to worry about a mischievous pet attempting to chew their way through since it will withstand all such attacks. It’s also easy to install and comes with detailed instructions to make it even more convenient. That said, it’s most suitable for small pets and you will need to take your cat’s measurements to ensure it’s the appropriate size.
4. LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors
Would you love to keep your cat’s treats, lunch or litter box beyond the reach of a bigger feline or canine with covetous tendencies? Would you also love to enable the beloved furball in need of a bit of privacy and protection to access its favorite spots in style? If so, you’ll love the LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors.
Featuring a futuristic feline design, this cat door which also comes with a unique cylindrical form might just be the ideal solution you’ve been searching for. Manufactured using especially robust and durable materials, it is also resistant to breaking and scratching, and will be able to withstand any energetic attempts by a larger pet to force it open. What’s more, special noise reduction slips will also ensure no one is startled by the sounds of it opening or closing.
Hence, you’ll not only be able to create a secret, private access for your cat to take care of its hygiene needs or tuck into its supper, but will also be able to keep any odd odors from permeating your home too. Best of all, you’ll be able to look forward to setting it up in less than half an hour thanks to the detailed 12-step guide provided by the manufacturer. If your pet happens to weigh under 12 lbs and can comfortably clamber through a 5.9 x 7.5 inch opening, the LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors might turn out to be the cat door you’ve been searching for.
- An especially robust cat door: Thanks to the materials it’s been manufactured from, the LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors is resistant to breaking and scratching making it an ideal choice for keeping larger pets from accessing parts of your house you don’t want them to.
- An especially versatile product: The LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors not only scores highly in terms of aesthetics but also comes with noise reduction strips as well.
- What’s more, it’s suitable for doors and walls which are between 1 – 2 inches thick, providing you with an extra dimension of choice in terms of where to place it.
- A cat door with a 4-way locking system: In addition to the impressive features mentioned above, this product also comes with a unique 4-way locking system which will enable you to either open or shut it both ways or simply keep your pet out or in.
- May be unsuitable for large cats: As specified by the manufacturer, the LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors is ideal for small to medium sized cats. Hence, it will not be suitable for cats which are heavier than 12 lbs.
- May not keep felines out as intended: A number of customers who purchased the LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors noted that their cats figured out how to open it.
With its uniquely stylish and modern design, its 4-way locking system as well as its impressive durability, the LYNX Cat Door for Interior Doors & Exterior Doors presents the perfect opportunity for you to enhance your pet’s quality of life by providing it with an extra dimension of independence. Its noise reduction slips are also an impressive feature which will ensure neither you nor your pets will be startled by any loud noises. The fact that it’s super easy to install is also an added bonus. However, it’s worth noting that this product is ideal for smaller to medium sized pets and may not be suitable for cats belonging to larger breeds.
5. The Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door
So far most of the cat doors we’ve taken a look at have been made for cats on the smaller side, or those which are medium at most. But what if your beloved cat happens to belong to a larger breed and is a Maine Coon, Persian or Ragdoll, for example? The solution would be opting for a product specially designed to cater to them – just like the Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door. Especially since large cats certainly deserve all the love and care their smaller sized counterparts enjoy.
Delightfully wide at 8 inches, this cat door is ideal for furballs of up to 20 lbs in weight. And it’s so much more than its size too. Especially since it’s suitable for all standard interior walls. It’s also really easy to install and even comes with a cut out template and instructions to ensure you not only get it right but will be able to do so in the shortest time possible.
There are also its aesthetics too: brought to you in a lovely neutral white, styled in the form of a cat’s head, the Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door can also be painted any color you like to complement your home’s color scheme. All these awesome features mean that this is one cat door which will be ideal for cats of any size and which will enable them to enjoy domestic bliss away from other furry housemates when the need arises.
- Suitable for large cats: The Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door is not only 8 inches wide but is also suitable for cats weighing up to 20 lbs.
- Easy to install: The Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door is not only suitable for standard walls but also comes with instructions as well as a template to ensure you’re able to set it all up within about 25 minutes.
- A stylish versatile option: This cat door which has been adorably styled like a cat’s head comes in a neutral white and can be installed right away. Alternatively, it can also be painted to fit your home’s color scheme too.
- Installation issues: The two parts of the Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door may not fit in with each other perfectly when installed.
- Concerns with size: Certain customers who purchased the Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door noted that it was too large for their pets.
One of the features which sets the Kitty Pass Wall Entry Cat Door apart from other similar products is its size – 8 inches – as well as the size of cats it’s suitable for – 20lbs. There’s also the fact that it’s really easy to install thanks to the detailed instructions and templates provided which will ensure you’re able to set it up in less than half an hour. And even though it’s available in a neutral white, you do have the option of painting it any color you prefer so it can fit in with your home’s color scheme.
6. SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan
One of the main concerns about cat doors or flaps, is the possibility of a stray sneaking onto the premises and making itself feel right at home. After all, the last thing you want is to have to deal with the possible infections they may spread, not to mention the shock you and your furry friends might experience at having to deal with a possibly aggressive intruder.
Selecting an option like the SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan will ensure that you and your pets are safe from such concerns. And it’s all thanks to its RFID feature which it uses to identify your pet’s microchip ensuring no strange pets – microchipped or otherwise – can get to sneak in and help themselves to your pet’s dinner and possibly give them a fright. This cat flap will also work with a range of microchip numbers including 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB).
What’s more, it’s actually capable of storing the microchip data of up to 32 cats. The cat door is also battery-operated and uses power rather frugally but efficiently and will take about a year to run through 4 AA batteries. And you needn’t worry about the cleverest strays finding a way through either by brain or by brawn. Thanks to its robust design and special locking mechanism, the SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan will resist any effort from any furry intruder to thwart its security.
There’s also its versatility which means it can be placed over most openings used for other cat doors too. If you’ve been searching for the peace of mind only the most robust and secure cat doors can provide, this product might just be what you’ve been searching for all along.
- Versatile microchip identifying feature: The SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan is capable of identifying 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) microchip numbers.
- Robust and secure: The SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan will efficiently resist the efforts of feral cats or other mischievous pets to sneak through it.
- 4-way manual lock: In addition to its robust security features, this cat door also comes with a 4-way manual lock which will enable you to control access to your home or a part of it according to your preference.
- May be incapable of keeping out certain strays: While most clients noted the efficiency of the SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan at keeping out cats, a small number noted that raccoons had actually worked out how to get past the cat door.
- May be difficult for cats to learn to use: A small number of clients also noted that it took a while for their felines to learn how to use the SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan.
The SureFlap Cat Doors with Microchip ID Scan promises to keep out other strays microchipped or otherwise and provide you with the peace of mind that comes with knowing your pets are safe and secure. And it’s all thanks to its ability to run on low amounts of power for extended periods of time while also being capable of reading 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) microchip numbers. It’s also capable of storing up to 32 identification numbers and of fitting into most spaces created for other cat doors. You will also be able to make use of its 4-way manual lock to permit access to your home or parts of it according to your preference.
Type of Cat Doors
In your quest for the perfect cat door for your pet, there are three categories you’re likely to come across:
Manually Operated Cat Doors
Considered to be the most common and basic cat flaps, those in this variety have different settings which will let you keep your furry friend in or out depending on your safety concerns. And as their name suggests, the settings are all manipulated manually. However, their one drawback is the fact that they’re incapable of keeping out other furry residents in your neighborhood, tame or otherwise which may decide to sneak in to explore the premises.
Magnet and Infra-red Cat Doors
These cat flaps typically respond to an infrared or magnetic sensor fitted on your pet’s collar. However, their main downside is the fact that other curious cats which also happen to be wearing similar collars of their own may sneak through them as well.
Microchip-Operated Cat Doors
Products in this category will only permit access to cats with a microchip with data that corresponds to the information programmed into the doors. As a result, they’re an excellent choice for keeping out strays. And because they’re generally capable of storing data for several microchips, they’re also an ideal option if you happen to care for more than one microchipped furball at a time.
The material you’ll have to work with when installing the cat door will depend on the location you’ve selected for it. The main categories include:
- Brick: Placing a cat door in a brick wall is an exercise which may not be as simple as it appears to be. Hence calling on a builder is a step which is highly recommended unless you possess the technical knowhow yourself.
- Glass: Working with glass can be somewhat complicated compared to wood. As a result, if you intend to place a cat door in a window or glass door, you will need to enlist the services of a glazier to ensure no mishaps occur and that it all proceeds smoothly.
- Metal or wood: If you need to place a cat door in a metal or wooden door, you will need to measure its thickness and obtain an extension if necessary with which to line it.
And if you’d prefer to request for professional help, there’s no reason why you shouldn’t especially since it could turn out to be more beneficial in the long run.
Location and Installation
Your choice of where to install your cat door will depend on your cat’s needs as well as the layout of your home. Quite thankfully, the former concerns are often shared by other cat owners and have loads in common, unlike the latter – the layout of your home – which is unique. As a result, those concerns are also an excellent starting point for examining some of the best spots to place your cat door and we’ve provided some examples below:
Your Pet’s Need to Explore
Certain breeds such as Abyssinians are renowned for their love of the outdoors. Hence providing them with a means of being able to enter and exit as frequently as possible and at will, for the most part, will make them much more happier and well adjusted too. Under such circumstances, you may choose to place the cat door at the safest exits from your house which may be your kitchen door which leads to your garden, an adjoined shed or possibly even your front door.
Restricting Access to Your Cat’s Litter
If you happen to care for a feline furball and also have very young children or additional furry residents of the canine variety, one of your main concerns will be restricting their access to your cat’s litter as effectively as possible. And since litter does tend to come with a rather distinct pong, being able to keep it in a secluded spot, accessible to just you and your cat will also be an added plus as well. Under such circumstances, it’s likely that you will need to place your cat door in a wall, or door leading to another room within your home.
Staving Off Mischievous Furry Housemates
One of the biggest concerns as a cat owner are other particularly bossy and voracious furry housemates which love to lord it over everyone else and set to smaller pets’ own portions with a will. In such instances, you will need to reduce contact between the furry antagonist and the antagonized as much as possible. And that’s likely to mean using a cat door or two to carve out space in your home where the innocent party will get to relax, play and tuck into dinner far from the covetous and haughty gaze of the self-appointed lord or lady of the manor.
What added perks will you be able to look forward to as a result of installing one cat door or a few within your home? Here are some we came up with:
- Providing your pet with the stimulation they need: If your cat happens to be of the adventurous variety, a cat door will save you the trouble of planning your day around standing close to the door to respond to their demands to be let out or in. They on the other hand, will be able to go out to explore your garden and other safe environs, and make it back in time for supper and bedtime – a lifestyle which is bound to improve their mood and disposition.
- Enhancing your pet’s quality of life: When we welcome pets to our home, our intent is to care for them and ensure they’re happy, pampered and well-fed. However raising several furballs under one roof may result in conflict between them resulting in the need to separate the more laid back of them from their more mischievous counterparts. Providing the shyer furballs with their own premises and restricting access to it using cat doors is an excellent means of ensuring they get to relax. Doing so will also enable them to explore their space on their own terms and enjoy their snacks and meals without having to worry about any pilfering paws hovering close by.
- Confining cat litter: Cat doors are an excellent means of keeping curious canine muzzles out of your resident feline’s litter tray and saving yourself and puppy or adult dog (who you wish knew better) several trips to the vet. In addition to ensuring your pet gets to take care of their hygiene needs in private, they will also confine the odors too.
None of our guides would ever be complete without some of the very best accessories which in this case will provide you with reminders of your favorite pet in your home.
Evelots CAT Door Stopper
Keep the bugs, the chill and even the noise out with this feline likeness which is a must-have for any feline fan.
Home & More Kitty Doormat
Welcome your adventurous furball home with this outsize mat on which they’ll be able to scrape their paws as they step through their very own customized entrance.
ZebraSmile Cartoon Cat Mat
It’s versatile, washable and will protect your floors in your home all the while reminding you of your favorite furball in the whole wide world.
FRTWEY Over The Door Hook Hanger
Add an extra touch of feline elegance to your home with this hanger which will go almost anywhere and can be used for organizing clothing or bags.
Jxselect Anti-Scratch Cat Training Tape for Door
Keep your favorite furniture safe from your favorite furball’s paws with this medical-grade adhesive which is completely safe for pets.
Door Knob Sign Hanger – Don’t let the cat out
Alert visitors and residents alike to the presence of your regal feline with this cheerful sign which will also add a joyful touch of color to its surroundings.
Cat doors are simply another amazing category of pet-related products which will make caring for your tabby a lot more convenient. And those selected by our experts at Surf’n’Buy are actually some of the highest rated of them which have made several customers – and their pets – extremely pleased. But there’s no doubt that a few of them simply belong in a class all their own and here are those we believe deserve that distinction:
- CEESC Cat Doors: With a 4-way rotary switch, its weather seal brush strip for keeping out the cold, the CEESC Cat Doors is an excellent choice for letting your cat in and out with ease. It’s also easy to install and the fact that it has a higher weight limit (15.43 lbs) for cats compared to several other options is also an added bonus.
- PAWSM Interior Cat Door with Removable Brush: The one thing which immediately made this product stand out to us was its dual purpose flap which features a brush for grooming your cat ensuring a reduction in the cat fur shed everywhere else in your home.
The icing on the cake? The pretty, cat shaped head for both its entry and exit points.
- OWNPETS Pet Screen Door: Made from robust, high quality mesh yarn and ABS material, the OWNPETS Pet Screen Door comes with the opportunity for your pet to enjoy their very own entrance and exit quite unlike any other.
What’s more, it also comes with a magnetic feature to shut the door firmly behind your cat once they’ve come in or gone out and is also easy to install. We hope you enjoyed reading our guide as much as we enjoyed writing it. And most of all, we also hope you’ll be able to select the very best cat doors which will meet your pet’s needs perfectly. Happy shopping.
- Cat Flap Advice, Battersea
- Training a Cat to Use a Cat Flap, Cats Protection
- How to Install a Cat Door in a Hollow Core Door, SFGate
- Outdoor Cats, International Cat Care
- Cat Flaps, Omlet.co.uk
- Why You Might Actually Need a Cat Door, PetMD
- Where is the Best Place to Install a Cat Flap?, Sure PetCare
- Installing a Cat Door, Thrifty Fun
- Types of Cat Flaps, Whiskas
- Cat Flap Training, Vets4Pets