Fred, my neighbor in the twelfth grade considered his garden his pride and joy. There were rose bushes, lilies and hydrangeas which filled it with a burst of color in spring and summer, and large oak trees which were home to adorable red squirrels which loved to munch on their acorns all day long.
Arno, his 12-month old Labrador puppy, loved the garden too. Especially since he thoroughly enjoyed startling a parched squirrel or the stray neighborhood cat sneaking a few cooling sips from his water bowl and giving them the fright of their lives. However, the cuddly canine’s favorite past time soon resulted in a very itchy downside – fleas. Fred was pretty surprised. After all, he loved to pamper and groom his furry friend frequently and took great pride in his pet’s glossy golden coat. So where had those miniature horrors come from?
It didn’t take long to figure out who the culprits were – the bushy tailed rodents and other furry visitors which loved sneaking onto the premises. Banning his beloved furball from the garden was simply out of the question. And since he was still a puppy, Fred knew that he had to be really careful about what treatments were administered to Arno.
Thankfully, he discovered the mini miracles that are dog flea collars. Capable of eliminating those pesky bugs – and over a long-term period, too – they were also perfectly safe for his little pup. And so Arno got to race about in the sunshine, frighten off furry intruders and splash in the pool – all while keeping his glossy, golden coat delightfully bug-free.
And you too can get to keep your furry friend flea-proof as well. Thanks to our inexhaustible supply of facts on all things dog-related – our very own in-house experts at Surf’n’Buy – we’ve put together a list of some of the very best dog flea collars and have even addressed a few key points relating to their use as well. We believe that our guide will prove invaluable in ensuring you’re able to take the right steps required to render your beloved furball’s coat especially flea-proof and enable them to lead a blissful, bug-free existence, as a result.
Top 3 Dog Flea Collars
1. Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
The first item on our list seems almost too good to be true especially in light of its manufacturer’s promise to provide constant, long-term protection over an entire year. What’s more, it’s not only especially potent but safe since it has been made using natural ingredients which pose no risk to children or pets. And that’s not all there is to the Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs either and you will be able to look forward to your pet enjoying a life that’s as normal as possible.
Especially since its manufacturer has taken the added precaution of ensuring it’s also waterproof and is suitable for a splash in the lake or pool on a warm sunny afternoon. Being water resistant also means it will continue to remain hard at work, eliminating ticks, fleas and lice, in the event of your pet getting caught in a sudden downpour too.
And if you’re concerned about the size of your pet, you needn’t be. The Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is adjustable and therefore suitable for canines of all sizes ensuring your pet will also stand a chance of getting to experience just how wonderfully efficient this dog flea collar is.
The sign of the manufacturer’s confidence in their product to deliver can be seen in their warranty which they’ve provided ensuring a full refund in the event of your pet being dissatisfied with it. All these superb qualities mean that this is one dog flea collar which might be the perfect solution for getting rid of those pesky bugs determined to take up residence in your pet’s coat.
- Continuous, long-term protection: The Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is capable of providing constant protection against fleas, lice, ticks and larvae for 12 months.
- Waterproof and suitable for swimming: This dog flea collar is especially waterproof and will continue to keep the bugs away after your pet has been caught out in a sudden downpour or enjoyed a swim in your pool.
- Ideal for dogs of all sizes: The Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is adjustable and is therefore suitable for dogs of all sizes meaning your pet won’t miss out on how awesome it is.
- Natural, safe ingredients: This product has been manufactured using natural ingredients. As a result, it is perfectly safe for children and pets while also being impressively effective at keeping pests away from your pet’s fur.
- May be difficult to place on pet: Complaints about the slight difficulty involved in placing the Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs on pets were noted.
- Dissimilarities in the appearance of delivered product: Complaints about dissimilarities in the appearance of the Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs delivered were noted.
The Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is an example of a product which quite simply ticks every box it’s meant to. It has not only been manufactured using safe, natural ingredients which are suitable for children and pets, but is also waterproof. What’s more, it also comes with a guarantee of long-term pest protection (12 months) eliminating the need to constantly worry about your pet’s coat suddenly being invaded by an army of bugs. And because it’s adjustable, it can be used for any canine regardless of its size. The fact that it also comes with a lifetime warranty is simply the icing on the cake and proof of its manufacturer’s confidence in the ability of their product to deliver on its promises.
2. еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar
One of the greatest concerns of pet owners is finding that product which will not only function like it’s meant to, but also comes free of any harmful chemicals and potentially unpleasant side effects such as allergies or itching. And that’s what makes the еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar the ideal choice for keeping fleas, mosquitoes and ticks away from your pet.
Made containing a natural formula consisting of natural oils which will spread over your furry friend’s coat, this flea collar is also 24.5 inches long making it perfectly adjustable for your furry friend so your pet can wear it in comfort. It’s also water resistant and will hold up remarkably in the event of your resident canine deciding to enjoy a leisurely swim or getting caught out in a sudden shower.
The еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar is impressively long lasting and will keep your pet safe from the discomfort, allergies and infections caused by the presence of pests for no less than 8 months. It also features an extra dimension of safety thanks to its ability to glow in the dark. If you’d love a product which is safe for animals, water resistant and will even keep your pet safe too, this dog flea collar might just be what you’ve been searching for.
- A dog flea collar which is convenient and easy to wear: The еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar is 24.5 inches long and can be adjusted to fit your pet comfortably.
- A product which will keep your pet safe and healthy: The еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar is capable of keeping fleas, lice, ticks and mosquitoes at bay and even glows in the dark adding an extra dimension of safety for your pet when it happens to be out at night.
- A long lasting, efficient product: This dog flea collar contains a formula consisting of natural oils which is safe for your pet. It is also water resistant and will provide round the clock protection for 8 months.
- May be unable to kill pests already living on your pet: Certain customers who purchased the еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar complained their pets still suffered from flea bites.
- May be uncomfortable for pets: Certain customers who purchased the еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar noted it was too tight for their pets.
The еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar stands out from other offerings due to its ability to keep a wide variety of insects away from your pet including mosquitoes. The fact that it’s been manufactured using natural oils and is especially effective while also being safe for canines is also particularly impressive. Especially since you’ll be able to look forward to your furball enjoying round the clock protection for a period of 8 months. It also comes with welcome extras such as being adjustable and water resistant as well as its ability to glow in the dark. Thanks to its efficiency and ability to keep your pet safe in a variety of ways, there’s no doubt that this dog flea collar is an excellent choice for keeping your pet comfortable and healthy.
3. Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs
It’s vet-approved and has literally earned tens of thousands of positive reviews from delighted customers. But what is it about the Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs that has enabled it to earn that seal of approval in a way few other products can? For starters, there’s its efficiency in getting rid of troublesome bugs and succeeding where other alternatives have failed.
And it’s all thanks to its ability to slowly release its active ingredients in safe concentrations ensuring that they get to cover your pet completely. These ingredients will also eliminate any bugs which come in contact with them without the offending pest having to first discomfit your pet by sinking its fangs into its skin – ensuring an extra element of safety from infections and comfort for your favorite canine.
The Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is also capable of withstanding exposure to both sunlight and water remarkably. As a result, it will retain its bug-repellent qualities in the wake of a few laps in the pool, a much needed shower, or a random downpour.
However, it’s worth noting that swimming once a month or perhaps more frequently, will reduce the duration for which it’s able to remain active – 8 months – to 7 months for ticks and 5 months for fleas. Hence, the manufacturer advises against shampooing your pet more than once each month. And just in case you were thinking that is all there is to this dog collar, it isn’t.
Its manufacturer has also taken the added precaution of making it odor- and grease-free ensuring neither you nor your pet will have to endure any unusual odors you may find unpleasant or any stains on your furniture or rugs. With all these thoughtful features, it’s pretty easy to understand why this dog flea collar has become a firm favorite for an impressive number of satisfied customers. And there’s every chance that it might become the go-to product of choice for you and your pet too.
- Resistance to sunshine and water: The Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs will continue to eliminate both ticks and fleas even after your pet has had a swim, enjoyed an afternoon playing out in the sunshine or has just had a shower.
- Effective, long-term protection: The Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is capable of eliminating ticks and fleas on contact without them having to bite your pet’s skin. It will also provide long-term protection over a period of 8 months (7 months for ticks and 5 months for fleas, if your pet loves to swim and does so once a month).
- Odor-free, grease-free and easy to apply: This dog flea collar is not only easy to put on your pet, but is also free of any odors or grease which might prove troublesome to you or your pet.
- May cause rashes on pets: Certain customers who purchased the Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs complained that their dogs suffered from a rash after wearing it.
- May cause irritation on pets’ skin: A number of complaints about dogs suffering from irritated, sore skin after they had worn the Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs were noted.
This odor-free, grease-free offering has become the dog flea collar of choice for thousands and thousands of customers around the globe and it’s pretty easy to see why. With powerful active ingredients which will kill both fleas and ticks on contact, it presents an extra element of safety for your pet since it will protect it from any risk of infection which could arise as a result of getting bitten.
What’s more, the Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is also capable of providing continuous protection to your dog for a period of 8 months and will also hold up remarkably well when exposed to sunlight or water. However, it’s worth noting that exposure to water may limit its efficiency somewhat since a monthly swim will result in its being reduced to 7 months for ticks and 5 months for fleas. Any yet, thanks to its array of superb features, this dog flea collar is an excellent choice for keeping the bugs away from your pet with a minimum of fuss.
Do Flea Collars Really Work for Dogs?
Flea collars are considered to be an especially effective remedy for preventing fleas, lice and ticks from taking up residence on your pet’s fur. They generally rely on their active ingredients to protect your pet. These ingredients may be chemical in nature such as Deltamethrin (a relatively harmless insecticide) or Pyriproxifen (a chemical which is especially efficient at sterilizing flea eggs and larvae), for example.
On the other hand, they may consist of natural oils such as cinnamon, clove or lemongrass. However, when purchasing one, it’s important to pay close attention to what the product in question is meant to do. That is because depending on their active ingredients, dog flea collars may be meant to repel pests as opposed to killing them – such as those made from natural oils, for example. Those which are meant to kill pests will generally rely on more than one active ingredient in order to be able to eliminate any bugs during the various stages of their life cycles.
Are Flea Collars Toxic?
Depending on the ingredients used in their manufacture, dog flea collars may be toxic. Examples of potentially harmful ingredients include the following:
- Propoxur: In spite of being rather effective at getting rid of fleas – it’s capable of eliminating them within 24 hours – Propoxur is also toxic and unsafe for handling. As a result, it must not be touched with bare hands or kept within reach of children. Hence, its presence in a dog flea collar would mean the product is best avoided.
- Tetrachlorvinphos (TCVP): A flea repellent, TVCP is also a neurotoxin which can cause problems due to prolonged exposure, meaning it’s also another dog flea collar ingredient which spells bad news. According to scientific experts, this ingredient may actually pose a cancer risk to humans with children being particularly vulnerable to any harmful effects it may have.
- Organophosphates: Chemicals in this category are also considered to be harmful and products containing them should be given a wide berth to avoid any resulting health problems which may affect members of your household or your pets.
As a matter of fact, a number of them have actually been banned. Dichlorvos (DDVP) is one such example, although it’s worth noting that it may be found in older products. When travelling outside the US, you may also encounter products containing Phosmet as well. However, some organophosphates such as TCVP mentioned above, continue to be used by manufacturers.
How Old Does a Dog Have to be for a Flea Collar?
Quite frequently, dog flea collars come with a recommended minimum age which will let you know whether they’re suitable for your pet or not. Several manufacturers recommend 12 months as generally being safe for application. However, the minimum age may vary depending on the product and it’s best to carefully check each item you’re interested in before making a purchase.
How Long Does it Take for a Flea Collar to Work?
Generally the promptness with which you will obtain results depends on the brand as well as whether the dog flea collar you have chosen contains chemical or natural ingredients. Those in the former category can be especially fast acting and can even provide results within 24 hours. Dog flea collars based on natural ingredients on the other hand, may take longer. However in general, dog flea collars ought to live up to their promises within a month of your using them on your pet. And yet, it’s worth noting that certain factors will contribute to your ability to keep your pet pest-free.These include paying close attention to the manufacturer’s instructions with regards to the frequency with which you’re meant to shampoo your pet or let it enjoy a swim.
Experts also recommend taking steps to ensure fleas, ticks and lice don’t get to feel comfy in your home. These include regularly vacuuming carpets and rugs, keeping floors and surfaces spotless and washing linen used by your household and pets with the hottest cycles your washing machine can manage.Doing so will lessen the risk of your pet getting its fur invaded by pests and provide optimal conditions for the dog flea collar to work its magic and eliminate any bugs which have already settled down on its skin.
Features to Consider When Buying Flea Collar for Dogs
- Water resistance: The last thing you want is for your pet’s new found relief from itching and discomfort to come to a rather abrupt end all because it was time for their routine shampoo session or simply because they couldn’t resist a splash in the pool. The good news is that most high quality dog flea collars are water resistant and will continue to work in spite of your pet being caught out in a sudden spring shower, deciding to indulge in a leisurely lap in the pool or simply having a monthly bath. However, it’s worth noting that such exposure to water may actually shorten the dog flea collar’s shelf-life as well.
- Active ingredients: Paying close attention to the ingredients used in the dog flea collar’s manufacture is another precaution which is highly recommended. Those which are safe for both children and pets are the best options. Active ingredients which are toxic are best avoided since prolonged exposure may place your household and your pet at risk of harmful side effects.
- Effectiveness: Will the dog flea collar you’re interested in keep fleas, ticks and lice at bay, or will it kill their eggs, or eliminate the pests at their larval or adult stages? Paying close attention to the manufacturer’s description of the product’s capabilities is highly recommended in order to ensure you’re able to make an informed choice when selecting the dog flea collar you’re interested in.
- Shelf-life: How long will your dog flea collar remain effective for? Some of the very best products on the market are capable of lasting for as long as 12 months. Several also come with a shelf-life of 8 months. The length of time is particularly important since it will save you the trouble of constantly having to worry about a possible flea invasion, while providing you with peace of mind over an extended period of time.
- Natural ingredients: If you have a preference for natural products, you will be able to obtain dog flea collars which have been made using natural essential oils.
However, it is worth noting that these products may take longer to provide results than those which contain chemicals.
Getting rid of fleas on your pet has never been easier! Thanks to the wonders that are dog flea collars which will gently diffuse their ingredients in safe amounts, you will be able to put an end to the constant scratching and discomfort which so often accompany invasions. And thanks to the advice and know-how of our resident canine experts at Surf’n’Buy, we’ve been able to present you with some of the very best products which they have used themselves. These offerings have also enjoyed rave reviews from delighted customers who’ve gotten to witness the joys of having their pets restored to a pest-free state.
Here is a brief recap of those amazing products right here:
Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs: There were several things which stood out to us where the Onetour Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs was concerned. For starters, there was its active shelf-life which was considerably longer compared to several other dog flea collars: 12 months. The fact that it had also been made from perfectly natural ingredients making it safe for everyone including children and pets was also an added plus as well. We were also particularly pleased with the fact that it was also waterproof and capable of continuing to protect your pet following a swim or in the event of its getting drenched in a sudden downpour.
And best of all, there was also the fact that the manufacturer had taken the precaution of ensuring that every domestic canine, regardless of their size could get to enjoy their product by making it adjustable. And as noted above, the icing on the cake was the warranty – a rather impressive proof of the manufacturer’s faith in their product’s ability to deliver on each promise.
еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar: A quick glance at the еZOOlife Glow ECO Pest Control Collar revealed just how different it was from other dog flea collars thanks to its ability to protect your pet from a wide variety of insects, mosquitoes included. We also loved the fact its manufacturer had relied on the use of natural oils since the use of harsh chemicals which may be unsafe for both children and pets is quite often a key concern of pet carers. And in spite of the fact that its shelf-life of 8 months was shorter than the first dog flea collar on our list, we did have to admit it was still impressively long enough to keep pet owners and their furry friends blissfully stress- and flea-free.
Especially in light of the fact that it came without any unpleasant odors which could discomfit people or pets, or any grease which could leave tell tale stains on furniture, linen and rugs. And thanks to the ability of this waterproof flea collar to glow in the dark, we felt as though we were getting two products rather than one. And because no one can ever resist any additional element of safety for their pets, we simply felt that any product that came with such amazing extras deserved pride of place on our list.
Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs: Several dog flea collars actually require skin parasites to sink their fangs into your pet’s skin, to help themselves to nourishment at its expense before knocking them out for the count. Thankfully the vet-approved Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs is capable of knocking them out right away sparing your pet the additional discomfort caused by voracious pests and the risk of illness those critters bring. And even though its efficiency does become somewhat diminished following a swim or shower, we did find its ability to continue to keep pests at bay pretty impressive.
There is also its shelf-life of 8 months which although shorter than certain offerings is rather long enough to ensure peace of mind for pet owners and their charges everywhere. All in all, we did find the pet-busting properties of this product, not to mention its resilience so impressive that we simply had no choice but to add it to our list of favorite dog flea collars.
With each of these products being especially efficient, we must admit that selecting a favorite would be something of an uphill task. Do you share the same opinion? And if not, which of the three dog flea collars above stood out to you as being a particularly potent pest-buster? We’d love for you to let us know. We also hope our tips and pointers provided by our continuously supportive in-house canine fans will also prove extremely helpful in enabling you to navigate any uncertainties which may arise in your quest to keep your pet pest-free and delightfully comfy. And that you and your pet get the upper hand in the battle against the world’s most bothersome, miniature parasites.
- Do Flea Collars Work?, AdoptaPet
- Flea And Tick Medicine For Puppies, American Kannel Club
- How Effective Are Dog Flea Collars?, City Pests
- How Do Flea Collars Work?, PetCarerx
- How Long Do Flea and Tick Medications Take to Work?, PetMD
- Are Flea Collars Safe for Puppies?, Pet Source USA
- How Old Should a Puppy Be to Put on a Flea Collar?, The Nest