When I was a teen, my closest friend’s Labrador, Lexx sprained his left hind leg while attempting a particularly hair raising leap from a low garden wall. Neither my friend Taylor, nor I knew very much about slings or harnesses at the time. And for the next three weeks we carried the large puppy about like royalty as we nursed him back to health.
Thankfully, we were rather conscientious about giving him the medication Taylor’s parents had gotten him from the vet, and the precious furball was able to make a full recovery. And yet, carrying your canine friend to the bathroom, up the stairs and out to the park may simply not be a practical option for you – or them for that matter.
And that’s where dog lift harnesses come in. Especially designed to relieve your pet’s joints of excess weight, they’re ideal for enabling them to rediscover their independence following an illness or injury, or during their old age. In this guide compiled by our very own canine experts at Surf’n’Buy, we shall be presenting you with the best dog lift harnesses currently available. We shall also be providing tried and tested pointers and accessories which will enable you to provide your pet with that extra bit of support which will keep them happy and healthy too.
Top 5 Dog Lift Harnesses
1. COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support
One of the greatest concerns for a pet owner with an aging or convalescing pet is being able to provide it with the support it needs to ensure that its quality of life remains as close as possible to what it previously was. And thanks to the COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support, you will be able to provide your pet with assistance in carrying out simple day to day activities such as clambering onto their favorite seat, getting into your car for a ride and climbing up the stairs.
Especially since this dog lift harness has been made from breathable, comfortable materials ensuring it can be worn all day long by your furry friend, and also comes with adjustable straps for extra convenience. The COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support also features an added touch of flexibility and can even be used as an ordinary harness too. And because it comes in different sizes, there’s no need to worry about your pet missing out on its amazing qualities. Once you’ve taken their measurements, you’ll be able to place your order and join the hundreds of delighted customers who’ve been able to provide their pets with the care and support they deserve.
- Available in different sizes: The COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support has been provided in different sizes to ensure as many dogs as possible will get to benefit from one of the most efficient dog lift harnesses currently available.
- A dual purpose harness: In addition to being suitable for supporting your pet in its daily activities as a dog lift harness, the COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support may also be used as a standard harness as well.
- Comfortable for pets: Thanks to the breathable, lightweight products used in its manufacture, this dog lift harness can be worn all day and even comes with adjustable straps for added convenience.
- Problems with straps: Clients who purchased the COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support observed that the straps were not fastened properly.
- Flimsy material: Clients who purchased the COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support noted that the material was not durable.
With its ability to support both pairs of your pet’s limbs, the COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support is the ideal choice for improving your furry friend’s quality of life as it ages or recovers from surgery. And it’s all thanks to its being especially lightweight and breathable making it suitable for pets to wear even in warm weather, its adjustable straps for ease of use and the high quality materials it’s been made from. And to ensure your pet too can get to experience how awesome it is, its manufacturer has also provided it in a range of sizes from small to extra large.
2. Labra Canine Support for Front Legs
Are you concerned about helping your elderly or recovering male pet with his hygiene needs, getting him into the car for your favorite family picnic or helping him up the stairs after a day out at the beach? If so, it might seem that the Labra Canine Support for Front Legs has been made just for you and your resident canine. Thanks to its chest strap which will ensure the harness stays put right where it’s meant to be, your pet will be able to exercise their potty training just like old times.
And you don’t need to worry about your furry charge feeling all hot and uncomfortable while they wear it either: and that’s because it’s been made with quarter inch, lightweight padding ensuring it will feel especially cool and comfy. If you’d like to ensure your pet convalesces or ages in comfort, with that added touch of convenience which is so essential, there’s every chance that the Labra Canine Support for Front Legs might just be the very product you’ve been searching for.
- Anti-slip chest strap: The Labra Canine Support for Front Legs comes with a special chest strap which will prevent it from slipping while you’re helping your pet use the bathroom, up on to its favorite sofa to watch TV or up those stairs for a well deserved nap.
- Extra comfort thanks to lightweight padding: Worried about your beloved furball feeling hot and prickly due to having to wear their harness? You needn’t be. Thanks to its quarter-inch lightweight padding, the Labra Canine Support for Front Legs will feel soft and cool adding an extra touch of comfort for your pet.
- Designed for your male pet’s hygiene: Thanks to the chest strap which will hold the sling away from your pet’s hindquarters, this is one dog lift harness which won’t get in the way while your male pet uses the bathroom.
- Absence of adjustable straps: The Labra Canine Support for Front Legs does not feature adjustable straps which serve to add an extra dimension of convenience for users of dog lift harnesses.
- Problems with size: Customers who purchased the Labra Canine Support for Front Legs noted that it slipped off their pets.
With its handy chest strap which will prevent the harness from slipping off, and its quarter inch, lightweight padding, for an added touch of coolness and comfort, it’s clear that the Labra Canine Support for Front Legs is the ideal product for helping your male pet maintain its independence and quality of life. Especially since it will ensure you’re able to support your beloved pet without needing to bend down, making it extra convenient for you to care for your furry friend every step of the way.
3. GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs
Manufacturers of pet items who happen to be pet fans themselves always seem capable of delivering wonderfully when it comes to products which will meet your pet’s needs. And from all indicators this family owned company seems to be one such example. The proof? Its specially patented design which has not only made it the go to dog lift harness for several veterinarians, but has also earned it rave reviews from delighted customers too.
Featuring a padded sling to provide your pet with extra comfort, the GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs has also been specially designed for dogs of both genders. And just like the best dog lift harnesses, this product is also adjustable to ensure you feel comfortable while supporting your furry friend. There’s also its integrated leash which can be fitted to a collar for extremely energetic pets, or to a chest harness in case your pet requires additional support.
What’s more, its support pad is not only capable of maintaining its shape, but has also been lined with corduroy on its inside for a soft and velvety feel against your pet’s fur, and nylon on the outside for an extra touch of durability. At this point you’re probably wondering if your favorite furball in the whole world might just miss out on such an offering due to its size. But you needn’t worry. The GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs comes in a wide range of sizes from extra small to large and even has separate sizes for tall dogs too.
All you have to do is take your pet’s measurements following the instructions provided by the manufacturer to select the right size for them. No wonder everyone loves it so. And you and your furry charge are likely to find it every inch as delightful too.
- A special patented design: The GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs patented design features a corduroy and nylon lined pad which will be able to support your pet while making it feel comfortable at the same time.
- Perfect for dogs of both genders and all sizes: The GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs is not only suitable for dogs of both genders but is also ideal for all sizes too.
- Adjustable lift harness: This dog lift harness is also adjustable providing you with an extra level of convenience while you support your pet.
- Does not fit snugly: The GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs does not fit snugly around certain dogs and may sag slightly.
- Stay on straps not included with small sizes: The special stay on straps of the GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs which make it possible for the support pad to stay on when you let go of the handle are not provided with extra small and small sizes.
Brought to you by a manufacturer which possesses an in depth knowledge of elderly and convalescing pet care, the GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs features a special patented design which sets it apart from other dog lift harnesses. There’s its special padding which is not only capable of holding its shape, but has also been lined with corduroy and nylon for softness and durability. The product which is ideal for dogs of all sizes and genders is also adjustable and will provide you with an added touch of convenience while you support and protect your furry friend. There are also its special stay on straps will come in handy if you prefer to leave it on to enhance ease of movement. However, it’s worth noting they’re unavailable for smaller sizes.
4. Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness
Tailored specifically for larger canines, this dog lift harness will enable you to care for a pet recovering from surgery or an injury, or one which is aging. The Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness comes with a nylon and fleece lining to enhance its durability as well as an especially wide lift and support pad surface (it’s 10 inches wide). This product also comes with an added touch of flexibility since its support can be placed where your pet needs it the most: their chest or close to their hind quarters.
There are also its straps made from strong and soft Velcro for an especially robust handle which can be put on your pet with a minimum of fuss. What’s more, the Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness is also available in large and extra large sizes. And to ensure you make the right choice for your pet, all you have to do is measure them before making your selection. With all these features, you will be able to look forward to a high quality product which will enable you to give your pet the support and care they deserve.
- An extra touch of flexibility: The Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness features a support pad which can be placed just where your dog needs it the most, on their chest or close to their hindquarters.
- Ideal for larger dogs: The Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness not only comes with an especially wide lift and support surface, but is also available in large and extra large sizes too.
- A robust handle that’s easy to use: Thanks to the presence of strong and soft Velcro, the handle of this dog lift harness is not only especially robust but also easy to put on as well.
- Flimsy and loose: Some clients who purchased the Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness complained that it did not fit snugly and slipped when it was placed on their pets.
- Problems with bunching observed: Some clients who purchased the Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness complained that they experienced problems with bunching when they used it for their pets.
With its wide lift and support surface, the Love Pets Love Dog Lift Support Harness is ideal for providing support to large dogs which may have suffered an injury, or are recovering from surgery. It’s not only flexible and can be placed on your pet’s chest or close to their hindquarters as needed, but also comes with a robust handle. It’s even available in large and extra large sizes too, ensuring that you’ll be able to obtain the right fit for your pet.
5. Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness
Caring for an elderly pet or one which is convalescing from an injury often requires helping them with activities they could once accomplish without your assistance: settling into their favorite armchair or going out onto the porch to soak up some sunshine while taking as much weight as possible off their joints. And thanks to the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness, you might just be able to enhance their quality of life so that it’s as close as possible to what they previously enjoyed. Especially designed for comfort, this dog lift harness features a special combination of polyester and fleece for softness which will protect your furry friend’s abdomen from injury.
It is also especially durable thanks to having been manufactured with nylon band and oxford pad runs making it a suitable choice regardless of what breed your pet happens to be. What’s more, the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness also comes with adjustable straps and is ideal for dogs of any size although it’s been specifically designed for large or medium breeds. And thanks to its 12 month warranty, you can be certain that this is one product with a manufacturer that has every faith in its ability to deliver. Meaning you can only expect pleasant things for your beloved resident canine.
- Ideal for any dog breed: Whether you have a Jack Russell, Dachshund or Labrador, the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness has been designed to enhance their quality of life by taking the weight off their joints.
- Designed for comfort and durability: Thanks to the combination of fleece and polyester used in its manufacture as well as the nylon band and oxford pad runs, the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness, feels super soft and extra sturdy making it the perfect choice for assisting your pet in moving around your home and outside of it.
- Adjustable straps for extra convenience: Being comfortable while you support your dog will enable you to do so much more effectively. And thanks to the adjustable straps provided with the dog lift body harness, you’ll be able to do just that.
- May be unsuitable for small dogs: Although the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness has been manufactured for dogs of all sizes, it’s especially suitable for medium to large dogs. As a result, it may not be suitable if your dog is a small one.
- Issues with durability: Clients who purchased the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness noted it came apart shortly after they had begun using it.
With its ability to support both pairs of your pet’s limbs, the Fine-Pets Dog Lift Support Harness is the ideal choice for improving your furry friend’s quality of life as it ages or recovers from surgery. And it’s all thanks to its super soft feel which will prevent your dog from feeling any discomfort, its especially sturdy design as well as its adjustable straps which will enable you to lengthen or shorten them as needed. It also covers an impressive range of weights (it’s suitable for pets weighing between 45-150 pounds). And there’s also its 12 month warranty which is quite simply proof that this is one product which has been made with your canine in mind.
What is a Dog Lift Harness?
A dog lift harness is a flexible brace or sling which dog owners can use to support their pets which are either aging or recovering from surgery or injury. Its main function is the reduction of painful pressure on the pet’s joints in order to enable them to carry out activities which may strain them somewhat, e.g. climbing into a vehicle, climbing the stairs or taking care of their hygiene needs. A high quality dog lift harness which is the right size and provides the right support for a pet can contribute significantly to enhancing its quality of life.
Types of Dog Lift Harness
- Full Body Support Harnesses: These slings are the ideal solution for pets which suffer from joint pain in both their fore and rear limbs due to orthopedic surgery or age-related issues.
- Front Support Harnesses: An excellent choice for dogs which suffer from pain in the joints of their forelegs, these harnesses must be placed around your pet’s torso closest to the chest in order for effective support to be provided.
- Rear Support Harnesses: Slings in this category are particularly useful for pets which suffer from joint problems in their hip bones and rear legs. They are placed around the dog’s hindquarters to take pressure off the affected limbs and joints.
Measurement and Proper Fit
Ensuring you obtain a dog lift harness which is the perfect size and fit for your pet will go a long way towards enabling it to regain its independence. Hence, in addition to following general guidelines with regards to size provided by the manufacturer, you’ll also need to measure your pet.
- Full Body Support Harnesses: First of all, you’ll need to wrap a tape measure around your pet immediately behind their forelegs. This part of the body is referred to as the girth. Once you’ve measured it, you’ll need to repeat the procedure right in front of their hind legs to ensure you’re able to measure the circumference of their waist. Finally you’ll need to measure the part of its neck closest to its chest.
- Front Support Harnesses: You’ll need to measure the girth of your pet and may also need to measure the width of their chest as well as the part of their neck closest to their chest.
- Rear Support Harnesses: For rear support harnesses you’ll need to measure the distance between your pet’s lowest ribs and their hind legs. You’ll also need to take the circumference of their waist right in front of their hind legs as well. It’s worth noting that the measurements you’re required to take may vary depending on the manufacturer of the product you’re interested in.
When Should You Consider Using Harness for Your Dog
Any problems with mobility are a concern for any pet owner. So what symptoms will let you know that your canine friend is most likely in need of a dog lift harness?
The following symptoms are a sign that your canine friend might just need that extra bit of support:
- Limping or favoring a limb
- An unwillingness to run or jump
- An unwillingness to engage in previously enjoyable physical activities
- A reluctance to exercise their potty training
- Difficulty rising up from a sitting or prone position
- Problems climbing stairs and seats or entering vehicles
Which Size is Right for Your Dog?
Selecting the right size for your dog can be pretty straightforward. All you have to do is measure your pet for the appropriate dog lift harness they will need and also follow the manufacturer’s guidelines. Most times they will specify the size of pet their product is suitable for. And several of them will also provide size charts so you’ll be able to compare the measurements you’ve taken of your pet to those on the charts which may also match them to breeds as well.
Can a Dog Wear Lift Harness Through the Whole Day?
If the harness has been made using high quality materials, which are especially breathable and lightweight, it will be possible for your pet to wear it for long periods of time. As a result, paying close attention to these qualities is highly recommended when buying a dog lift harness. However, experts recommend taking it off as soon as you’re able to especially before your pet falls asleep. If you notice your pet is not too fond of having to wear it, taking it off whenever they do not need it is a great idea as the last thing you want to do is inconvenience your furry charge or make them feel uncomfortable in any way.
What mobility issues will a dog lift harness help with? We previously noted that this product has been specially designed to reduce pressure on your pet’s joints.
The main activities which are often most demanding in this regard, include:
- Climbing the stairs
- Climbing into a vehicle
- Jumping or running
- Taking care of hygiene habits
- Walking on smooth, slippery surfaces
It’s worth noting that prompt action can actually go a long way towards preventing the problem from worsening. Ensuring you take your pet to the vet once you notice any difficulties on their part in carrying out routine activities might actually enable you to prevent them from suffering further discomfort.
Rehabilitation: Back, Hip, Legs and Joint Care
What steps can you take to care for your convalescing or aging pet in addition to providing them with a dog lift harness?
Your pet is what they eat. If they suffer from joint pain, you’ll need to cut down on their favorite fatty and sugary treats which may encourage weight gain and additional pressure on their joints and limbs.
And that means having to replace them with healthy options rich in the following:
- Vitamin C: Although your dog can manufacture their own supplies, their stores tend to decrease when they feel distressed.
But what benefits does this water soluble vitamin provide for your pet?
Quite a few, as shown below:
- The production of cartilage for healthier joints
- Reduction of oxidative stress
- Enhancing the healing capabilities of your pet’s bones and muscles
Excellent sources of vitamin C which are safe for dogs include: blueberries and papayas.
- Omega 3 fatty acids: These all important nutrients seem to be recommended by just about every health care expert and a closer look at their benefits shows why they’re such a great idea. These fatty acids have been proven to soothe arthritic symptoms. They’re also effective at reducing inflammation. Oily fish are naturally rich in omega 3 fatty acids with haddock, salmon, and smelt being options which are not only safe, but tasty for your pet.
- Glucosamine and Chondroitin: Cartilage production is essential for joint health and these two nutrients are responsible for encouraging its formation. Feeding your pet meat cartilage will ensure they’re able to get a portion of their needs met. However, you’ll also need to provide them with supplements to ensure they’re able to obtain the amounts they require.
Medical treatment will be an essential aspect of nursing your pet back to health or keeping them in the best possible condition if their ailments happen to be age-related.
Examples of effective remedies include:
- Medication: While treating your pet with drugs, every effort should be made to adhere to the prescribed dosage which must never be exceeded under any circumstances.
- Supplements: Supplements can be a rather efficient means of improving joint health in your pet. Common examples include those containing omega 3 fatty acids, glucosamine and chondroitin.
- Therapy (Physical and Alternative): Physical therapy has been known to be especially effective in improving cases of canine joint pain.
Additional therapies which have also proven to be especially beneficial include: warm water hydrotherapy, massages and laser treatments. As always, you’ll need to speak to your vet before undertaking any of the above treatments for your pet to ensure you’re able to provide them with optimal care in this regard. Failing to do so may actually place your pet at risk and exacerbate their condition rather than improving it.
Mobility Support and Quality of Dog’s Life
In addition to taking the steps examined above, you’ll also need to change your pet’s surroundings to ensure moving around or eating is as painless as can be for them.
It will also be necessary for you to pay extra attention to their hygiene. Ways in which you can do this include:
- Providing carpets or runners: Moving around on smooth surfaces such as tiled floors can be painful for dogs with back or joint problems. Carpeting such surfaces or covering them with runners will make it easier for your pet to get around.
- Anti-slip socks/ toe grips: What do you do if carpeting your pet’s favorite haunts in your home simply isn’t feasible for you? Invest in a set of anti-slip socks or toe grips. Most of them are comfortable to wear and will protect your pet from slipping as they navigate your home. As a result, you’ll not only enable your pet to get around but also ensure they’re able to avoid further injury.
- Keeping your pet well fed and hydrated: Depending on your pet’s needs, they may require a support for their food and water bowls to make it easier for them to eat and drink. And to ensure your pet gets to drink as much as they need to, keeping their water bowl close by throughout the day is highly recommended as well.
- Hygiene: Joint pain will make it difficult for your pet to be able to go to the bathroom as often as they previously could. Hence you’ll need to check them regularly to ensure they haven’t had any accidents and to clean them in the event of any mishaps. You’ll also need to trim their nails regularly as well since doing so will also make it easier for them to move around.
Materials and Comfort
One of the most important factors which will influence just how comfortable the dog lift harness feels is the materials it’s been made from. The very best are those which are lightweight, breathable options. It’s also important for them to be washable in order for you to be able to maintain the hygiene of your pet and home.
Ease of Use
Convenience is also another factor which you’ll need to pay attention to when selecting a dog lift harness. Those which come with adjustable straps tick the box in this regard since you’ll be able to set them to the desired length. Certain manufacturers also provide extra features such as movable pads to enhance the flexibility of the item or even chest straps to prevent it from slipping off.
One thing you can always look forward to whenever you read our guides is the list of helpful extras which comes with each one. And as promised at the beginning, here are a number of accessories which will give you a head start in providing the very best care for your pet.
Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy, Book
Find out all you need to know about nursing your pet to health through their cutaneous, neurologic, and musculoskeletal injuries.
TopDog Health – GlycanAid-HA Advanced Joint Supplement for Dogs, 150 Chewable Tablets
Enhance your dog’s joint health with this tasty supplement which contains all the key ingredients required to make them feel as good as new.
Lord Anson Canine Agility Training Set
Enable your pet to rediscover their agility with this quality training set specially designed by fans of the world’s most loved furball.
EXPAWLORER Anti-Slip Dog Socks
Ensure the safety of your pet and the longevity of your hardwood floors with this set of socks which comes with Anti-slip Silicone Gel Print to provide traction.
Musher’s Secret Pet Paw Protection Wax
Rich in vitamin E and easy to apply, this 100% wax-based formula will protect your furry friend’s paws and keep them healthy too, while they hunt, play and explore.
Labra Heal Compression Brace
An especially effective hock brace, this product brought to you by Labra will not only encourage your pet’s sprains to heal, but will also prevent additional injuries from occurring.
LOOBANI Dog Paw Protector
Keep your sock-shy pet safe from the risk of slipping on your polished floors with these breathable, soft padgrips which will stick to their paws with a hypoallergenic certified adhesive, non-toxic & environmentally-friendly substance.
DEZAL Pet Balance Disc Cushion
Keep your pet’s body and mind healthy with this anti-burst and portable balance disc.
TOBBI Portable Dog Ramp
Provide your pet with their very own ramp for getting into your car with this product which is capable of providing the traction they need while also being portable and easy to store.
With our special list of dog lift harnesses, you’ll be able to bid farewell to towels, or having to carry around a rapidly growing pet as I and my best friend did. And best of all, your dog will get to feel brand new too as it gets to engage in its routine activities thanks to that extra bit of help. And while we at Surf’n’Buy feel all five products are amazing, there were three which simply seemed extra special and we’ve provided a summary of their superb qualities below:
COODEO Dog Lift Harness for Full Body Support: A dog lift harness which seems to tick all the right boxes, this product has not only been made using lightweight, breathable materials, but also comes with adjustable straps. As a result, you can be certain of that extra touch of comfort and convenience which is so essential for both you and your pet. Especially since you can actually use it as a standard harness too. And there’s no need to worry about your pet missing out on it since its manufacturer has taken the extra step of providing it in various sizes.
Labra Canine Support for Front Legs: Another product which has been designed to stand out from offerings supplied by other manufacturers, the Labra Canine Support for Front Legs has been specially designed to support your male pet with their hygiene needs. And it’s all thanks to the presence of a chest strap which will keep it out of the way while they visit the bathroom. It’s also pretty cool and comfortable too, thanks to its quarter inch, lightweight padding ensuring it will feel especially cool and comfy for your furball.
GingerLead Dog Support for Back Legs: Brought to you by a manufacturer which possesses in depth experience of ailing pet care, this harness features a special patented design which has made it a firm favorite of veterinarians and pet owners alike. There’s its support pad which has been designed to maintain its shape and comes with an inner corduroy lining which will feel soft and velvety against your pet’s fur. There’s also an outer nylon lining for an added touch of durability. And the fact that it’s perfect for dogs of both genders and comes in all sizes (there’s even a special category for tall sizes too) means your pet too can get to experience it for themselves.
The right dog lift harness can work wonders in enabling you to restore your pet’s independence, and thanks to our list of favorites and those handy tips, you’ll know just what to look for when selecting the perfect sling for your pet. And you’ll also know what accessories and additional care to provide too, ensuring your pet will feel cherished and especially cared for.
- Dog Harness: Improving Your Dog’s Mobility & Recovery, Four Paws Rehab and Fitness
- 6 Amazing natural foods to help joint pain and mobility in dogs, PetHonesty
- Strains and Sprains Spell Pain for Dogs, Pets WebMD
- Teach Your Dog to Wear a Lifting Harness, Vet Street