When I think of summer, I think of being surrounded in a garden full of colorful flowers and enjoying the smell of the bloom and the hot summer sun. To achieve that image, however, I need to put a little work into making sure my flowers have the best support in order to grow big, beautiful blooms. When looking into what my flowers needed, I found that there are so many kinds of fertilizers, with specialist fertilizers for almost every flower in my garden. Since I didn’t want to have to buy every single flower its own fertilizer, I did some research into which fertilizers are best for all of my flowers, not just one.
That is why we at Surf’n’Buy have brought you this buying guide, because we know the frustration of so many different fertilizers and varying information on which is the best to use. We have brought you three of the best fertilizers for all flowers and all of the information you need to get the best out of your flowers this summer. We hope this information helps you and that you will be enjoying your flowers looking their best this summer.
Top 3 Fertilizers for Flowers
1. EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes
EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes are a quick and easy to use fertilizer which you can simply place in the soil and let the water do the work. The slow release formula is released as the pods break down and the nutrients will feed your plant directly from the roots. This saves you from multiple applications and provides high quality and high value.
Suitable for a large range of flower breeds, you can use this on all of your flowers without the need for specialist flower fertilizers. Created from organic matter, EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes have plenty of trace minerals, acids and natural growth hormones to help support your flowers in every stage of growth. This also makes them entirely environmentally friendly, which is perfect for the eco conscious flower grower. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, the EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes go a long way to help all of your flowers reach their full potential.
The compact design of the spikes and container make them easy to store in a shed or cupboard to keep from taking up too much space. It is also completely recyclable, making all aspects of this fertilizer eco friendly.
- The easy application of EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes makes them perfect for those with busy schedules, simply place them in the soil and let them get to work.
- The slow release formula means there is no need for frequent applications, saving you time and making this fertilizer great value.
- Suitable for a range of flowers, you can use this fertilizer on almost any plant without the need for plant specific fertilizers, giving you more savings.
- The natural ingredients feed your plant with organic nutrients to aid them at all stages of growth and development.
- The organic materials also make EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes environmentally friendly and sustainable to protect both your plants and be kind to the environment.
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor flowers, you can use these fertilizer spikes any time and anywhere.
- The compact design of the container takes up little space in storage and is completely recyclable once the spikes are finished.
- The spikes can sometimes break if they are being pushed into hard soil which makes application difficult. We therefore recommend you loosen the soil with water or gently with a trowel to aid application.
- There are not many spikes in on packet which means that those with many plants may use a whole container in one session, which makes this fertilizer a bit more expensive than other options.
- The application method makes it difficult to ensure your plants are getting the right amount of nutrients and that the nutrients are being provided evenly around the root structure.
For a high quality, easy to use organic flower fertilizer, we suggest none other than EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes. This fertilizer is so easy to use and provides your plant with a big boost of nutrients from an entirely natural and organic source. This makes EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes ideal for the eco conscious, because both the fertilizer and the container are eco-friendly and the container is recyclable.
The main issue with these spikes is getting an even level of fertilization around the base of the plant. However, with enough water, the nutrients will be mobilized across the whole plant. Simply push them in and let them get to work as their slow release formula means you won’t have to apply several times to keep your plants fed and happy. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use, EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes are very adaptable to the environment and suitable for a range of plants, so you won’t need to go buying lots of specialist fertilizers. This one will do all the jobs for you.
2. Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food
Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food offers a high quality blend of 11 essential nutrients to give your flowers everything they need for a beautiful bloom. This blend also makes the fertilizer suitable for almost all plant types and any growing environment so you can use this in and outdoors at all times of year. With a balanced NPK ratio, this is the perfect fertilizer for a wide range of plants.
Capable of feeding your plant for up to six full months, you can use this fertilizer once per year and know that your plants are still getting everything they need for the growing season, no need for constant applications. When used as directed, it is almost impossible for this fertilizer to burn your plants, perfect for first time growers.
The easy application needs only a sprinkle of fertilizer then a sprinkle of water to activate the fertilizer to release nutrients. This makes for quick, easy and clean application, no mixing or dust.
- With a fortified blend of 11 essential nutrients, Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food offers your flowers everything they need for strong growth and a colorful bloom.
- Suitable for a range of different plant types, you can use this fertilizer on any flower variety, no need for specialist fertilizers.
- Also suitable for a range of different growing environments, you can use this fertilizer on any plant at any time of year.
- With a six month feeding period from one application, Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food is incredibly high value and is ideal for those with busy schedules.
- When used as directed, this fertilizer will not burn your plants, which is perfect for those with little growing experience.
- The ease of application makes this fertilizer clean and fast, simply sprinkle and let the water do the work.
- The balanced NPK will offer your plants all the nutrients they need when they need them.
- The balanced NPK will not fix soil deficiencies, so it is only suitable for soil which has been tested and has balanced levels of each essential nutrient.
- Due to the long feeding period, it can be easy to forget when you last applied fertilizer, so make a note of it.
- Due to the slow release formula, this is not a suitable fertilizer to give plants a quick boost, which some flowers may need if they have higher nutrient requirements.
- Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food is one of the more expensive fertilizers available on the market.
Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food is an incredibly high quality and easy to use fertilizer that will feed your plants for up to six months with their slow release design. This is most convenient for those who have busy schedules, but don’t forget when you last applied it! The balanced NPK is suitable for all plant types, all growing environments as well as indoor and outdoor use so there is no need to purchase several different kinds of fertilizer for your flowers, Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food will feed them all and keep them healthy and happy.
The easy application requires only a sprinkle of fertilizer and a sprinkle of water to get to work, all you need to do is wait to watch your flowers bloom bigger than ever before. The natural blend of 11 essential nutrients is guaranteed not to burn your plants when used as directed, making it the ideal option for those with little gardening experience or if it is your first time using granular fertilizer. All of this is such as to make Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food the perfect fertilizer for almost any flower at any time of year.
3. Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed
With a variety of micronutrients included in the unique ingredients, your plants receive all of the nutrients they need to grow strong and bloom with color and a greater size for a beautiful summer garden. This fertilizer is an all purpose fertilizer capable of feeding for up to three months depending on the population of the bed, so you don’t have to keep fertilizing your plants as often when you use Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed. You can also use this fertilizer with a wide range of plants, not just for flowers. Also suitable for both in ground and container plants, you can use this fertilizer anywhere it is needed to provide food for your plants and flowers.
The dry granular application is clean and quick, simply sprinkle the fertilizer around the base of the plants then water to release the nutrients into the soil then sit back and let the water do the work. The NPK ratio of 12-4-8 is ideal for many flowering plants so there is no need to buy several different specialists fertilizers for each species. Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed will offer the right kinds of nutrients for almost any plant or flower.
- The NPK ratio makes this fertilizer well suited for almost any flower species so that you know they’re getting the nutrients they need.
- The wide range of micronutrients makes all nutrients available to your plants as and when they need them.
- With up to three months’ worth of feed in one application, this fertilizer needs few applications through the year, saving you time and money.
- The granule application is clean and easy, sprinkle on the soil then water to release nutrients to your plants for quick fertilization.
- Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed is suitable for a wide range of plants so that you can use it on almost any plant such as trees or shrubs, not just flowers.
- The re-seal bottle keeps the fertilizer safe from wet weather conditions so you don’t need to worry about storage conditions.
- As with all granule fertilizers, there is a risk of uneven application and even root burn if placed too close to the root system.
- Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed is not suitable to be used as an immediate boost, which may be needed mid-season to give highly demanding flowers the nutrients they need at their most stressful growing period.
- This plant is a synthetic fertilizer which may be dangerous for use around young children and pets and carries a higher risk of root burn
- This product will not improve the quality of the soil due to its synthetic nature so it is recommended to use with organic fertilizer also.
- This fertilizer is more difficult to use on perennials as the soil will need to be disturbed to make sure it reaches the roots properly.
If you need an easy to use, long lasting and powerful fertilizer which will offer your flowers the nutrients they need for a beautiful bloom this summer, Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed is a great option. With fertilization for up to three months, Miracle-Gro Shake ‘N Feed is the ideal fertilizer for those with busy schedules or limited growing experience.
Suitable for a wide range of plants, you can use this all over your garden to give your garden all of the nutrients and feeding it needs to grow more green, bigger blooms and better strength so you can enjoy your flowers year after year. The main drawback is the synthetic nature of the fertilizer, so be careful with small children and pets and make sure to allow for plenty of time after application to make sure it has soaked in.
What Kind of Fertilizer Makes Flowers Bloom?
Flowers tend to bloom in the summer months so finding the right fertilizer for the best bloom will need to be tailored for summer application. During the summer months, the growth of plants slows down and they begin to bloom. This means they will need very little nitrogen during the summer, so the best fertilizer for flowers to bloom will need a small percentage of potassium and nitrogen and a higher percentage of phosphorus. So the P of the N-P-K ratio will need to be greater than the N and K percentages to really help your flowers bloom.
During the summer, it is also recommended to use a quick release formula to provide your plants with the nutrients they need right before blooming. This will allow them to take in the extra nutrients to reduce the stress of blooming and make them bloom bigger and more beautiful.
The important thing to remember, however, is that this will only aid plants who are living in balanced soil. If your soil is deficient in phosphorus, a fertilizer will do very little to help your flowers bloom. The best way to make sure that your flowers get the right flowers they need to increase the size and color of their bloom, make sure to get your soil tested before you purchase or apply any fertilizers. This will allow you to better understand the soil environment and take any necessary steps to balance it before providing your plants with the right nutrients in the blooming period.
How Often Should You Fertilize Your Flowers?
How often you should fertilize your flowers depends on the kinds of fertilizers you’re using. The Miracle-GRO 3001910, for example, will only need to be applied every three months. However, if you are looking for a more successful growth and bloom this year, you may want to consider creating a fertilization schedule throughout the year to allow your plants to access the nutrients they need at different stages of their growth. The bloom doesn’t just come from the fertilization in the summer or spring months, it is a continuous process of helping your plant grow large and strong with the right nutrients at the right time.
When planting, you should use a balanced fertilizer at the end of the winter months to prepare the soil for new growth. This will give your flowers the nutrients they need at the beginning of their growth.
For more established plants, fertilization should begin in the middle of spring and reapplied every six weeks through the growing season to make sure your plants are able to access the right nutrients to help them grow. During the growing and blooming season, a fertilizer with a higher phosphorus content is recommended as this is the nutrient which aids in fruits and flowering production, whereas nitrogen and potassium are not needed but should still be available in case they are needed.
Can You Over Fertilize Your Flowers?
As with all plants, of course it is possible to over fertilize flowers. Over fertilization is incredibly detrimental to plants and can result in burns and can leave plants vulnerable to disease and insect population. That is why it is important to get it right when you apply fertilizer and follow the instructions on the packaging.
Signs of over fertilization include stunted growth, burned or dry leaves, wilting, yellow leaves and stem collapse. Another symptom may be a build up of salts, which are used in synthetic fertilizers, which makes it difficult for the plant to take up water as it needs to. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms in your plants, don’t worry, there are a few steps you can take to reduce the damage and keep your plant alive until it recovers.
The easiest symptom to tackle is a build up of salt. If you are experiencing this, you can simply place the plant in a sink or near a drain and flush it with water, repeating until the salt has been removed. Just remember to allow the plant to drain properly in between each flushing period.
If it is the plant which needs a little help, the first step is to take a break from fertilizing altogether. Remove any wilted or damaged leaves and remove any fertilizer granules you can see in the soil. Remove the surface soil, but no more than ¼ of the total soil amount, and replace it with a balanced top soil. Then, simply allow your plant to grow at its own pace and recover. In the future, rethink the amount of fertilizer you are using and cut the amount by half then slowly build back up to allow your plant to tell you just how much fertilizer it really needs.
That’s all of the information you need to know about how to fertilize your flowers and how to protect them from over fertilization. This information is important for those who don’t have the greenest of thumbs or are first time growers, and we hope we have helped you to solve all of your flower fertilizer related issues.
If you are looking for a quick and easy flower fertilizer, EarthPods Fertilizer Spikes and Miracle-GRO 3001910 are two great granule options that you can simply sprinkle on and leave to work. However if you are looking for something a little more powerful, the Osmocote Smart-Release Plant Food is recommended by many specialists and will give your flowers the best bloom yet. Yet, no matter what flowers you are growing, what your growing schedule is like or how experienced you are, we are confident that each of these products will produce excellent growth and blooms in your flowers this year.
We hope that all of this information has helped you and that our Surf’n’Buy buying guide has brought you to the fertilizer that is perfect for your flowers. Looking forward to seeing you in the next guide!