Have you been recently injured or gone through surgery on your foot or ankle? You may be thinking that the next six to twelve weeks are going to be a long road ahead, especially having to manage on crutches for up to three months, which can get painful. Did you know that there is an alternative to crutches which makes getting around quicker, easier and almost pain free? The answer is a knee scooter and they are revolutionizing the leg injury medical space. They are simple devices which allow you to rest your injured leg as you propel yourself with the other, eradicating the comfortability of crutches and giving you back your freedom.
We have found some of the best knee scooters on the market so that you can get back outside and make the most of your recovery time.
Top 3 Knee Scooters
1. KneeRover All Terrain
The KneeRover All Terrain provides a contoured, padded knee platform to ensure comfort and support during use. Compatible with both the left and right leg, you can use this scooter no matter where or what your injury. With three inches of molded foam, your leg will feel as though it’s floating on air. The easy folding mechanism makes this knee scooter easy to store away and transport so that you can use it wherever you go. The KneeRover All Terrain can accommodate users between 5’6” to 6’6” with a fully adjustable support and handles and a weight limit of up the 350 pounds.
The 12 inch air filled tires enhance stability and maneuverability while the locking hand break gives you full control over speed and stopping. The heavy duty frame is durable enough to withstand bumps and knocks, making it perfect for outdoor use.
- The 350 pound weight limit and adjustable handles and knee support make the KneeRover All Terrain perfect for almost any user.
- The 12 inch air filled tires keep the scooter stable and secure without sacrificing movement and turning radius.
- The pneumatic tires are able to navigate all terrains with easy and agility so that you aren’t held back by your injury.
- The folding mechanism makes this scooter easy to compact and travel with, or store away when not in use.
- The durable frame stays strong on uneven terrain and ensures that this knee scooter is built to last.
- The thick, supportive cushion ensures total comfort and support to maximize your recovery experience.
- At only 27 pounds, this knee scooter is easy to move use and easy to lift in and out of a car.
- The built in basket is convenient for carrying anything you need with you.
- The tires have a large traction, which can make them difficult to use on flatter surfaces, as they require more effort to keep them moving.
- Turning with the KneeRover All Terrain can be a little bit tippy and this can feel unsafe for some users, especially when getting used to the knee scooter.
- The turning radius is quite wide which can make it difficult to navigate tight corners or busy areas.
- This knee scooter is not suitable for anyone under 5’6”, which makes it unsuitable for smaller people. If you are looking for a model for a smaller person or child, check out our other options.
At the top of our list is the KneeRover All Terrain. This knee scooter has all of the adjustability you need to ensure you receive premium support during your recovery, but can still do all of the things you love. The high maneuverability and pneumatic tires means that you can take this knee scooter wherever you go. With a durable yet lightweight frame which can fold down for transport and storage, you won’t struggle to get the KneeRover All Terrain into a car or van when you’re on the move, making it perfect for those who love adventure..
2. OasisSpace All Terrain Knee Walker
Fully FDA approved, the OasisSpace All Terrain Knee Walker is the highest medical standard knee scooter in our guide. With 12 inch pneumatic wheels, you can use this scooter on any terrain and with a reduced risk of puncture so you won’t get caught stranded. The shock absorbing function ensures that your injured leg won’t feel a thing when going over bumps and uneven terrain. The steering frame has a tie rod steering mechanism with adjustable locking handbrakes and a rear drum pedal break to make sure that you are safe when going down hill and at a stop. The 50 degree steering angle is 10 degrees higher than most for quick and easy steering around corners and in busy areas.
The 300 pound weight limit makes this knee scooter perfect for almost any user to help make your recovery much more pleasant. At only 24 pounds, this knee scooter does not take a lot to power and can also be folded down to easily be transported or stored.
- The OasisSpace All Terrain Knee Walker is FDA approved so you can be sure that it is of the highest medical standard for your needs.
- The large, pneumatic wheels can be used on any terrain so that you can go anywhere, any time with this knee scooter without worrying about a puncture.
- Shock absorption from the heavy duty frame makes sure to protect your injured leg from bumps and knocks which could hurt your injury.
- The fully adjustable breaks allow you to slow down and stop when needed and the drum pedal rear brake means you can secure the scooter when you’re at a halt.
- The high weight limit makes this scooter accessible to many different patients.
- The lightweight design makes this scooter easy to propel and the foldable frame makes it easy to move and transport the scooter when needed.
- The tires have a large traction design which can be difficult to use on flat surfaces and some customers have said they mark hardwood floors.
- The folding function can be a little tricky and may take some getting used to when you first try to use it.
- The wheels and steering are very noisy, which can be irritating for some users and will need oiling fairly regularly to avoid this.
If you are looking for a high quality knee scooter, you can’t get much better than OasisSpace All Terrain Knee Walker. FDA approved and with everything you need for comfort, agility and support, you will have everything you need to keep moving around even whilst you are injured. With adjustable hand breaks and a rear drum pedal break, you have everything you need to assure stability and security when going through uneven terrain or wanting to come to a stop. The shock absorption and large traction wheels will keep you safe from bumps and slips whilst you heal so that your recovery time is much faster and you are completely comfortable and supported.
3. NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker
At 400 pounds and capable of supporting anywhere from 4’11” to 6’2”, the NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker offers the highest weight capacity in this guide to make it suitable for almost any user, no matter their shape or size. The leg rest and handles are easily adjustable to your height so that you get the right level of support and comfort that you need.
With locking handbrakes and 8 inch rugged wheels, you can navigate almost any terrain without trouble, or risk of flat tires. The unique frame is specially designed to keep the ride smooth and reduce any shock or vibration which could irritate your injury. The steering wheel easily folds down to store away when not in use and makes traveling easy with only a 29 pound frame. You can lift the scooter into the car without strain so you can take it anywhere. The lightweight design also makes self propulsion a little easier so you won’t get tired when using the NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker.
- The high weight capacity and wide range of adjustable parts, the NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker is the perfect knee scooter for almost any user.
- The durable wheels have a high level of traction to ensure that you can use this scooter on almost any terrain without issue, giving you the freedom to explore.
- The lightweight design is easy to propel and pick up when putting it into the trunk, especially since the frame folds down to make storage a breeze.
- The frame is also specially designed to reduce the amount of shock and vibrations which come from uneven terrain to protect your injury from bumps and potholes.
- The locking handbrakes give you full control over speed and stopping so that you feel totally secure when using the scooter.
- The rear wheels are slightly tippy which may be dangerous when bending or stretching, so beware.
- The wheels can also wobble slightly and feel unstable. It is recommended to tighten any nuts and bolts you can to keep them secure.
- The turning radius is not as tight as other options on the market, so tight corners can be difficult to get around.
- The scooter takes some assembly to get it up and running which may be difficult for older users or for those who aren’t particularly handy.
If you are looking for a knee scooter for someone who is big and tall, you have found it in the NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker. With a huge weight capacity and a great range of adjustability, you will struggle to find a person who can’t use this knee scooter. The lightweight design makes self propulsion easy, and the specially designed frame both protects you from vibrations and absorbs shock and folds down to make transport quick and easy. With large, durable wheels, you can go anywhere with the NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker without worry of difficult terrain or risk of a flat.
Who Should Consider Using a Knee Scooter?
If you have recently had an injury of the foot, ankle or shin, then you may want to consider using a knee scooter. They take the pressure off the arms and shoulders and allow you to use your good leg to propel yourself to reduce the risk of further irritation. The great thing about knee scooters is that they are suitable for everyone, but they are especially geared towards those who don’t want to use crutches, or can’t use crutches for various reasons.
Comfort and Posture
When you’re injured, comfort is your number one priority. To make sure you are comfortable, you need the right level of support so that you have the right posture and you reduce the risk of any muscle aches and pains. Make sure that the knee platform is the right height for your injured leg. Your good leg should not be fully extended and you shouldn’t feel it is bent too much. If you can relax your good leg and simply rest your injured leg, you’ll know it is in the right place.
Next, make sure that the handlebars are around waist height so your arms are at a comfortable angle. This will make sure you aren’t overbending and you have the right level of control. Finally, consider adding some extra padding to the knee cushion to add warmth and to enhance circulation, which will help improve your recovery overall.
Mobility, Speed and Control
The most important thing about a knee scooter is mobility, since that’s what it’s built for, however speed and control are also important. To have the right amount of control, ensure that the scooter is set up to the right specifications for your height and make sure you have some kind of braking system in case you need to slow down. The speed of the scooter is largely up to how hard you propel yourself, but you will need brakes in case of going downhill as you don’t want to lose control.
There are a number of factors which add up to make a scooter more mobile, such as a tighter turning radius and narrower handles, so make sure to take these into consideration if you want a hyper-mobile knee scooter.
1. NOVA Medical Basket for Knee Walker
A basket is a great addition to a knee walker as it helps you to carry everything you need whilst your hands are busy steering.
2. NOVA Medical Knee Walker Cushion Cover
To give yourself all the more comfort and support, you can add a cushion cover to the knee pad of your scooter to enhance warmth and circulation as your injury heals.
We here at Surf’n’Buy know how annoying a leg injury can be, it’s the worst feeling to think you’ve lost your freedom for as many as twelve weeks. Many of us have never heard of a knee scooter before, but with incredible products such as the KneeRover All Terrain, you’ll never look back on your purchase. These products offer you the freedom of movement without the discomfort of crutches and walkers. If you are looking for great quality and great valye, we are sure that the OasisSpace All Terrain Knee Walker will do you proud, but if you are particularly big and tall, NOVA Medical Heavy Duty Knee Walker is the one for you. From the team at Surf’n’Buy, we hope you heal up soon!