There are many uses for chopped wood, both in the home and for small businesses and sending wood off to be cut, or buying in chopped wood can be expensive, so buying your own woodcutter and doing the job yourself can be a time saver, and a lucrative option to save money. Finding the best log splitter for your needs, however, can be a challenge, as there are many different kinds of motors and capabilities that decide which process the woodcutters are best for, and you need a product that will suit your needs best and perform all of the things you need it to.
This Surf’n’Buy’s guide is here to help you decide on which product may be best for you. We will recommended products that we believe will offer an option for everyone so that you can find the right log cutter for you and your needs. Take a read through our extensive guide, with sections that revolve around helping you to define your needs and how to find the best quality product, so that you can find the right wood cutter that will suit your needs. Whether you are looking for a home based log cutter, a log cutter for a small business, or even an industrial option, we are certain that this guide will help you to find the right option.
Now let’s go through the top five log splitters in 2019.
Top 5 Log Splitters
1. Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter
- Powerful - 25 tons of splitting capacity with a large 224 cc Champion single-cylinder OHV engine
- Versatile - Converts from horizontal to vertical in seconds, allowing you to handle large, heavy logs with ease
- Efficient - 12-second cycle time, expanded operator area and dependable auto-return valve capable of 300 cycles per hour
- Portable - Towable up to 45 mph and fits most ATV/UTV towing applications with an extended tongue, 2-inch ball hitch coupler and 16-inch tires
- Reliable - Champion Support includes 2-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
This log splitter is capable of splitting logs both horizontally and vertically to ensure that you may customize the shape and size of your logs. Cool, huh? Both operations are easy to switch between for easy and quick use. It is easy to tow on the back of a vehicle to move the log cutter from A to B. The log splitter is incredibly efficient, acting in only 12 seconds altogether. The Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter weighs only 100 pounds in order to minimize fuel consumption when towing. With two years of limited warranty, you are covered for technical support for life. This log splitter is capable of splitting logs up to 25 tons.
- With both horizontal and vertical capabilities, the Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter is one of the easiest log cutters to use.
- The lightweight body and two inch ball coupler make this log cutter much easier to tow and keeps fuel consumption to a minimum.
- The quick and efficient cutting cycle makes the process a lot faster than other options so that you can get more work done in a smaller space of time.
- The long warranty gives you coverage should any technical issue occur so that you don’t have to cover repair costs yourself.
- The extended tongue fits most ATV/UTV towing application so that you can tow the Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter with almost any kind of vehicle.
- The bolts holding the Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter are not as strong as the bolts in other models and this can make it feel less secure when towing it for long periods of time.
- The set up manual is not as in depth as other product manuals, this makes it difficult for beginners to use and can be difficult for more advanced lumber workers to get used to also.
- Some parts can become damaged easily and are not covered under the technical warranty, this can cause you to have to repair the log splitter under your own cost, which can be pricey.
- The tow support is not as strong as it could be, which makes the log splitter seem less stable on longer journeys.
The Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter is one of the best wood splitters on the market, offering you one of the fastest and most powerful options available today. With so many features that make it easy to use and get around, such as a light weight body and 12 second timing on the cycle, you can ensure that you will get all of your logs chopped much faster than other methods and log cutters. Although the towing supports may seem weaker than others, the Champion Power Equipment Log Splitter is still a great option that will hold fast on the back of any vehicle, as it fits onto almost any fixture. If you need an adaptable wood cutter that will make your job easier, this wood cutter is one of the best machines to choose for convenience, as well as durability.
2. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter
- Powerful 2 HP electric motor
- 7 tons of splitting force
- Convenient one-Handed operation
- Automatic ram return
- 2-year residential warranty.Hydraulic Pressure (psi):3500
The Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter is much easier to use than other options on the market, with the ability to even use the log splitter with one hand. The automatic ram return makes the log cutter much faster than other log splitters, as it is easy to quickly put more logs through each time. The professional standard hydraulic system makes this log cutter much more powerful than other machinery, so it won’t struggle with any logs you want chopped.
The one-button start makes this log splitter very easy to set up and work with straight away. The 2 HP electronic motor gives the log cutter incredible power without using too much power, conserving the energy whilst working through the logs at a powerful and impressive speed. The Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter weighs around 100 pounds to reduce the fuel consumption when towing the log cutter.
- The one-button operation of the log cutter makes it incredibly easy to use and much faster to set up and get started so that you can get straight into it.
- The lightweight design makes the log splitter much easier to tow and reduces the amount of extra fuel needed to tow the log splitter.
- The powerful hydraulic press has enough power to cut through the toughest of logs and will automatically spring back into place to begin the next log once you have finished, making it very convenient for busy sites.
- The 2 HP motor is powerful enough to cut through any logs and conserves power throughout use to make sure that the motor lasts as long as possible.
- The one handed operation allows you to use the Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter without too much set up and manual control.
- The Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter is not as strong as some other log cutters and some logs may be an issue to cut some thicker and more difficult logs, restricting your abilities with the log splitter.
- Some of the mechanical parts of the log splitter may be difficult to reach in order to maintain the machine, such as oil and other engine parts.
- This log splitter may sometimes need rebooting if the machinery traps, which can add time to the splitting of your logs.
- The dipstick is difficult to read when checking the oil of the machinery.
- The Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter sits very close to the ground, so you need to bend to work with the machinery and this can be an ussie for those with back issues or pain.
For those who are looking for a high quality log splitter without the high cost of the more expensive models, the Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter is one of the best options to choose. With the powerful motor and automatic resetting, is incredibly easy to use and is powerful enough to cut through almost any wooden logs you need splitting. Although the machine works relatively low to the ground, this helps to make it sturdier than most options, without making it too heavy and wasting fuel when towing the log splitter. When looking for a high quality log splitter that will give you everything that you need to get everything done with the most convenience possible, the Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter is one of the best machines to purchase.
3. Dirty Hand Tools Gas Log Splitter
- DOT approved 16 inch outside diameter high speed road tires. 2 inch ball with safety chains.
- Reliable DHT 196cc 6.5 HP engine.
- Fast 10.9 second cycle time to get through the job quickly.
- 4 inch diameter x 24 inch stroke cylinder.
- Two stage 13 gallons/minute pump, 5.6 gallons max. system, 4 gallons operational hydraulic capacity.
The Dirty Hand Tools Gas Log Splitter weighs 473 pounds, making it much more stable when cutting and splitting logs to reduce tilts and falls. Wow! This awesome log splitter runs on gas, making it easier to run and maintain the energy levels. The entire cycle time of the log cutter is 10.9 seconds, making it one of the fastest cycles on this list. The Dirty Hand is only 4 inches in diameter, so it is easy to store when not in use. The 2-stage 13 GMP pump makes it much more efficient and capable of cutting larger and more difficult logs. This log cutter is capable of cutting logs both horizontally and vertically so that you can choose the finish on the logs you wish to cut and customize the size. Pretty useful, right?
- The heavy weight of the log cutter makes it much more stable and safer for busy working sites, as the log cutter will be much less likely to tip or fall and cause injury or damage.
- The gas motor is much more powerful than some electrical options and is much easier to maintain high energy levels with the right fuel, rather than having to charge the cutter electrically.
- The slender design of the log cutter makes the machine easy to store when not in use so that you don’t need a lot of space to store the Dirty Hand Tools Gas Log Splitter.
- The fast cycle of the log cutter is much more efficient than other models and allows you to work faster with the logs you cut.
- With both horizontal and vertical capabilities, you can do much more with this log cutter and you can customize the size and shape of your logs.
- The Dirty Hand Tools Gas Log Splitter is a very heavy log cutter and this can make it difficult to tow, as it will cause a lot of fuel consumption from the towing vehicle when moving.
- This log cutter runs on gas and this is not very environmentally friendly if the cutter is being used on a regular basis, as it produces a lot of CO2 emissions.
- The gas engine can be expensive to maintain the fuel levels, as it needs a large amount of fuel to fill the engine.
- The Dirty Hand does not come as one full machine, it comes in parts and can take a long time to assemble.
- Does not come with the necessary oil or gas, these must be purchased separately and can be expensive to maintain.
For those who need a more powerful motor, the Dirty Hand Tools Gas Log Splitter is the perfect option, as it runs on gas rather than electricity, and this allows the motor to be much more powerful and efficient. Although this does comes with several drawbacks, such as the CO2 emissions and expensive prices of gas, it is the perfect option if you are using the log cutter for large and difficult logs, as it will not have any trouble powering through them, no matter which way you want your logs cut. Once assembled, it is incredibly easy to store and maintain for minimal upkeep throughout its use. If you are looking for a heavy duty log cutter, the Dirty Hand Tools Gas Log Splitter is one of the best options to choose for your site for convenience, power and ease of use.
4. WEN Electric Log Splitter with Stand
- Powerful 15A motor provides over 13,000 pounds of log cracking pressure
- Use the log splitter with or without the 34-inch stand depending on user preferences
- Included pull handle and 5.5-inch never-flat wheels make for easy transportation between jobs
- Electric power means no gasoline, no carbon monoxide emissions, and limited maintenance
- Split logs up to 10 inches in diameter and 20.5 inches in length
The motor runs off the power of an electrical mains, making it much less expensive and a lot more reliable. The lightweight and compact design makes the WEN Electric Log Splitter the perfect option for home based log cutting and small scale business use. The fume free design makes this log cutter suitable for both indoor and outdoor use. The design of this log splitter has a unique log cradle to prevent any movement or slipping, making the log cutter much safer. The two grip handles make the log cutter much more comfortable to use, which is ideal if the log cutter will be used quite frequently. The 5.5 inch tires make the WEN Electric Log Splitter easy to move around if needed. With two year warranty and a great customer service you are sure to find a log splitter that will suit your needs perfectly.
- The highly portable design makes the WEN Electric Log Splitter perfect for home and small business use, as it can be moved and stored away if needed.
- The built in log cradle stabilizes the logs as they are being cut, making it much safer to use with larger logs.
- The grips make this log splitter comfortable to use, giving you full control during longer periods of use.
- With a fume free design, you can use the log cutter both indoors and outdoors, making it very versatile.
- The WEN Electric Log Splitter runs from an electrical mains port, making it much cheaper to run, a lot more reliable, and perfect for home based use.
- The WEN Electric Log Splitter is not as powerful as other log cutters that run on gas or charged electricity, so it is not as capable at coping with larger and more difficult logs.
- The manual that is provided with this log splitter is not as detailed as other products and modes, so it can be difficult to understand and get to know the log cutter right away.
- The design of the log cutter requires you to be very close to the wood as it is being cut and this can cause the risk of shavings and splinters hitting you and causing injury.
- The electrical cord ties you to a port and this can be an annoyance without extension cables.
The WEN Electric Log Splitter is a great option if you like to chop wood logs at home rather than purchasing precut wood. The design of the log cutter is very light (it weights only 98 pounds), making it easy to move around if needed and the wheels make it incredibly easy to do so. The wooden cradle and comfort handles make this log splitter easy to use and very safe so that you don’t need a lot of experience to get started with the machine. Although the design requires you to bend over the machine due to its low position, it is one of the easiest models to power, as you can simply plug it into an electrical mains port and get started. For those looking to start chopping logs at home, the WEN Electric Log Splitter is a great log cutter to get you started.
5. Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter
- Motor: 4HP, 2900 Watts - no running out of gas and starts every time
- New patented hydraulic system increases torque by 45%
- Quiet, no fumes and no air compressor needed
- An be used on the ground or on the bench, outside and inside as there is no fumes!
- Very easy to use. No experience necessary
The Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter weighs 118 pounds, making it one of the more stable log splitters on the market, but still light enough to move if needed. The hydraulic pump makes this log splitter much more capable at cutting and chopping logs. This log cutter can cut logs up to 20.5 inches long and 12 inches wide. The motor cycle returns to its original place in only 5 seconds, so it is much faster to keep cutting and get a lot of wood chopped much faster. The wheels attached to the body of the motor make it easy to move by hand. The compact design is ideal for home based use.
- The lightweight design of the Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter makes the log cutter easy to move and store without sacrificing the stability of the log cutter.
- The 9 ton hydraulic pump powers through even the toughest and largest of logs for a successful split every time with all logs that you want to split.
- The high powered motor ensure that it doesn’t cut out and starts every time, making it highly convenient.
- The compact design makes this log cutter perfect to use at home and easy to store away if needed.
- The quick rotor cycle makes the Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitterreturn to the starting position sooner than many other log cutters so that you can work faster.
- The manual that is provided with the Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter is not sufficient to help those with no experience with a log cutter and this can make it difficult to get used to the log cutter right away.
- This log cutter is not fully assembled when delivered and takes time to assemble once delivered and this can be difficult due to the poor quality user manual.
- If the wood splitter struggles with the more difficult logs it can blow a fuse and cause damage to indoor appliances.
- The power cord is quite short and can be restricting if you do not purchase extension cords to give yourself more space away from the home
- The bolts are loose in the box rather than bagged together and can be lost in transit.
The Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter is another excellent quality option for those who want to chop their own wood and logs in the comfort of their own home, or for the use of their small business. The electric motor is almost as powerful as gas, so it can power through tough logs and provide you with the perfect sized firewood. The lightweight body is easy to move and store, but still stable enough to ensure that you can trust the Powerhouse XM-580 Electric Hydraulic Log Splitter not to tip or fall over whilst using the machine to keep you safe and secure whilst using.
Quality vs Cheap Log Splitter
Finding the right log cutter can be a hard challenge, and you need to be able to find a log cutter that will match all of your needs and be of high enough quality to last as long as possible, be safe, secure and be convenient. To help you tell the quality log cutters from the cheap log cutters, Surf’n’Buy has developed five of the best ways that you can tell which log cutter is better than the rest and we hope that this will help you to find a log cutter that will suit you and your needs perfectly.
Safety is key with any major appliance or piece of machinery, especially one as powerful and sharp as an electrical or gas powered wood cutter. Most wood cutters will be fitted with safety features such as handles and automatic power cutting in case of jams, but you should look into how many safety features the wood cutter offers. If you are buying a wood cutter for a business then you will perhaps need more safety features than if you were to buy your wood cutter for home and personal use, as the business may be held liable in case of an accident.
The weight of the wood cutter will determine how portable the wood cutter is and how stable it stands when in use. The higher the weight, the better the stability, which is ideal for commercial use. These options will be not be as portable, but many have a towing port so that they can be moved by a stronger vehicle. If you are using your log cutter at home, you may need a lighter model so that you can move it by hand and store it when it is not in use, but be aware that you may need to stabilize it during use.
Horizontal or Vertical
Log cutters work in three ways, horizontal cuts, vertical cuts, or both. Depending on the logs you are chopping and the size of firewood you wish to achieve, you may need an option that will do both. This is best for both home and commercial use as you will not be restricted by the capabilities of the wood cutter, or the needs of the customer. Higher quality wood cutters will offer both, but this may not be necessary.
The tonnage is the measurement of pressure that the log splitter is capable of, and this will change the types of wood that you are able to cut with it. Basic home models will give around 4 or 5 tons of pressure, whereas more commercial level wood cutters will exert anywhere from 15 to 25 tons, and some even up to 30. The stronger the log splitter, the higher the quality and the tougher the wood it will be able to power through, so commercial businesses will need stronger wood cutters than the standard home will, as they will be using much more varied wood types.
Types of Wood
Different woods have different thicknesses and will require different exertions of pressure in order to cut through them. Typical home log cutters will be dealing with woods such as cedar and elm, as they burn easily. Commercial woodcutters will deal with anything from pin to apple wood, so they will need a strong enough power to drive through these woods also. Make sure that you know what woods you will be dealing with before you start researching into the power of the wood cutter, as this will give you a gage of where you need the power to be and if the machine will be able to withstand these pressures frequently.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing Log Splitter
There are many factors to consider when purchasing the best log splitter for you, primarily the price you are willing to pay for it and what it will be used for, but there are many other considerations to take to make sure that you get a wood cutter that is best for your needs. Most customers tend not to think of many more factors than just price and power, but we are giving you these ten factors to consider that will get you the best deal and the best product for your needs if you keep them in mind when buying a log cutter.
Price is the obvious consideration for home based usage, as most customers look to stick to a set budget. Commercial and business customers need to spend more as they will be required to provide as many safety features for their staff as possible and a higher level of power for their customers.
The power of the log cutter is what gives it the ability to cut through different and stronger woods, rather than the average woods of a lower power log cutter. Homes will not need a high power or tonnage, as they will be dealing with more basic woods, but commercial buyers will need to look for the highest tonnage possible to minimize restrictions.
Home models will need a light and portable model that can be moved by hand so that it can be stored away when not in use. If you are planning to use the log cutter for commercial use or on building site, you will need a powerful model that can still be moved around, so you should consider an option that is towable.
If you are looking to use the log cutter at home then size is an important consideration, as you may want to store the log cutter in a shed or in a yard, and if you are short on space it will need to fit in the space that you have. There are many different sizes of log cutter to choose from, but smaller sizes will not generally be as strong, so make sure that you check your needs of both power and size.
Distance from Body to Mechanism
This is quite an important safety feature as some models lie close to the ground, requiring you to lean over them and this can be dangerous as it can cause wood shavings and splinter to fly close to your face. It is also very uncomfortable to be bent down whilst using the machinery for long periods of time.
Besides distance between your body and the mechanism, you will also need to look at other safety features such as a log cradle, comfortable handles and many more. The more safety features you can afford the better, as this will keep you safe whilst using the machine. Commercial lots will need as many safety features as possible to meet health and safety requirements of government run lots and proper business practice.
Wood types are an important consideration for a number of reasons, firstly for the power of the wood cutter itself, but also the size and shape of the wood cutter and log cradle. Different woods will require different specifications so it is important to note these specifications before purchasing the wood cutter to ensure that you get the right product and the right fit for your needs.
Electric or Gas
There are two main modes of powering wood cutters and that is electric and gas. Gas models are generally a lot stronger and larger, whereas electrical models are much more convenient. Gas models will be more expensive but are better for those who need larger and more powerful machinery, whereas electrical models are more suited to home and small time usage. Yet electrical models do have their own problems as they can cause power cuts within the house itself.
One-handed or Two-Handed Operation
Smaller, less powerful models can sometimes be used with one-handed operation, which is convenient if you want to cut multiple logs at once or cut logs at a faster pace. More powerful models will have to be two handed as the size of the logs is larger and the power is higher, so one handed operation is not as safe, but it still available in some models.
One of the most important factors to consider is comfortability. Some smaller models are placed low to the ground and can cause you to be bending over while using them and this can be uncomfortable for long periods of time. Other models will offer comfort grips on the handles so that you have a reduced risk of blisters when using the wood cutter for long periods of time, which is ideal for commercial use.
Best Log Splitter Brands
There are many brands on the market when looking at power tools and heavy machinery, so finding the best fit can be confusing, as many brands offer different features, safety procedures, and warranties with their products. These are all important considerations, as there can be several complications to come with heavy machinery than cannot be simply fixed by hand and will need proper repairs or replacements. These should be included in warranties, but the length and extent of these warranties and offers will vary from brand to brand, so it is important to check out what each brand can offer you before buying anything.
Boss Industrial is an incredibly high quality brand that focuses on superior manufacturing and powerful hydraulics to make their products some of the most powerful on the market, without charging a fortune. Their warranty gives you two years of coverage on home and family use, and 180 days on commercial products, and these include tune ups, wear and tear and overall maintenance on gas engines. This gives you plenty of time to get to know your machine, but still have enough coverage to keep it working.
Champion Power is another of the most popular brands on the market and offers an extensive range of products for both home and commercial use, specializing in both branches of industrial products and machinery. As well as their impressive and powerful products, they offer broad warranties that vary from product to product, ranging from 6 months up to two and free customer service line for you to call should you encounter any issues. If you are looking for a brand that you can trust, Champion Power is a strong contender for quality and excellent customer satisfaction.
Established in 1951, WEN have focused an enormous amount of energy and resources into developing some of the most powerful and high performing machines and products to help in the manufacturing and building processes. With products from a chainsaw up to a bench grinder, WEN are one of the most well known brands on the global market and have developed some of the leading technologies in the field. They offer a free warranties and expansions which you can pay extra for to get the best service for your machinery and keep it in top condition and working at its best for you.
Powerhouse are not as large a brand on a global scale, but have still developed a reputation as one of the best products for quality and power. Although they do not have as strong an online and global standing, they have produced some of the best products on the market with a number of different power tool branches and are readily available. Each product has a two year warranty, which covers any damages or issues that can come from heavy use, and will be handled with the company’s expert mechanics to keep it in top condition for your satisfaction.
Dirty Hand Tools
The final brand on our top five recommended list is Dirty Hand Tools, a relatively new brand on the power tool and heavy machinery scene. Although they are new, they have created an excellent reputation for themselves and are featured on many online retail centers for many of their products, so you can be assured of their quality. Their warranties vary between two and three years and will protect you against much of the manufacturing issues that can occur with log cutters and other products, as well as spare parts and damage repair should you happen to encounter these issues.
Finding the Best Log Splitter for Your Needs
Every customer will have a different need from their wood cutter, as some will be using it at home where others will be using it for commercial or industrial use, and this will change the features and specifications that you will need to look for in your log splitter. This part of Surf’n’Buy’s guide has developed some helpful advice on how to define what your needs are when looking at wood splitters and log cutter so that you get the product and machinery that will best suit you and give you the results you’re looking for from your wood cutter.
At Home Use
If you are using your wood cutter at home then you will not need as much power as commercial or industrial users, as you will most likely be working with common woods and common shapes and sizes.
If you are using your wood cutter for making your own firewood then the you do not need to go for a machine that has heavy power and lots of tonnage. A compact log splitter with either a horizontal or vertical split is enough to make firewood.
– Small Scale Building Work
If you’re looking into a log cutter for small scale building work then you may want to go for a machine that has both vertical and horizontal modes, and can handle tougher and more resilient woods, as this will give you everything you need for most DIY building projects. However, you should make sure that you look for more safety features to ensure your safety during frequent use.
– Common Woods
Log splitters in the home will be dealing with common woods such as Oak and Birch, as these are the best for burning firewood and small scale building projects. These woods do not require the higher levels of power and tonnage behind them, but you should research the power needed for the wood you use the most.
Industrial use and large scale building work will need some of the tougher logs, and the wood splitter should be transportable so that you can take it from site to site, customizing the size and shape of the logs and wood as the project continues. This gives you much a more convenient machine.
– Large Scale Building Work
Large scale building work requires much more stable and strong woods, so you will need a log splitter that will be able to deal with these. You will also need a wood cutter with both horizontal and vertical modes and as many safety features as possible so that you can ensure the health and safety regulations are met on every site.
– Varied Woods
With each project, you may be using a number of different woods and materials, most of which will be stronger than the average woods. You will need a wood cutter that can deal with this and will require a higher tonnage and a greater power behind the machinery. Most industrial wood cutters work up to 25 tons, and this is best for those larger building projects.
– Frequent Use
Industrial wood cutters will be used very frequently, so they need to be able to cope with this busy workload. This means they need to be maintained properly, kept in an appropriate place when not in use, and handled carefully in order to keep them in proper working order.
Commercial use will need similar specifications to an industrial wood cutter, as it will need to be able to cope with any demand put forward by the customer.
– Range of Woods
Commercial log cutters will need to be able to deal with a large range of woods without damaging weaker woods, and still being able to power through stronger woods.
– Range of Shapes and Sizes
With each customer wanting a different specification for their woods, the best way to meet these is to have a wood cutter than can handle horizontal and vertical modes so that you can meet the needs of your customer.
– Frequent Use
Commercial log cutters will be used almost as much as industrial wood cutters and will require the right care and attention, as well as safety features, to ensure that the machinery will keep up with the demand.
Log Splitter Tips and Tricks
Safety is key with any piece of heavy machinery, for both the area around the machine and the person operating the log splitter. We have a few tips and tricks to help you keep yourself and your workspace as safe as possible, whilst still getting the most out of your log splitter and reducing the risk of any damage.
Goggles are needed to keep your eyes protected from any of the debris thrown out by chopping the wood, which can cause a serious injury if it reaches your eyes. This is especially important if the log splitter requires you to be close to the mechanism, as your face will be at a much greater risk the closer it is to the wood. If you are worried about your face you can also purchase a full protective mask.
Protective gloves are the best way to protect your hands from flying splinters and shards of wood that can cause damage and injury if your hands are left unprotected. They also prevent hands from drying out in the dry areas created by excessive wood work.
Proper lighting is paramount when cutting wood so that you can see what you’re doing and take proper care and attention when handling the machine. If working outside make sure to work in broad daylight, if working indoors then ensure that the light is bright enough to concentrate and not dim. Dim lighting can cause you to make mistakes and this can cause injury and unnecessary damage.
– Read the Manual
The manual is full of useful information for you to put to good use when taking safety precautions with the use of your log splitter, but many do not consult the manual before taking to using the machine. By not reading the manual you may miss some important steps in keeping your work area safe and secure, so make sure to read it through before handling any heavy machinery.
Prepare the Area
Before using the log splitter make sure to prepare the area you are working in. Your work space should have a level floor, be uncluttered and well lit. Organize the wood into piles to be split and those that are already split so that you can simply concentrate on the work at hand, and not dodging any unneeded clutter in the work space. This will make it much safer and more efficient.
Prepare the Wood
Some woods will need to be prepared before being able to split them. Most woods will need to be aged for the sap to be released and the wood to be dry enough to split. All wood will need to be squared off at the ends so that you don’t damage the ram of the machine. Inspect the logs for nails and knots which can damage the machine and make sure any branches are removed.
Allowing the engine to cool completely before storing it away is one of the best ways that you can prevent any residual heat from the machinery causing damage to itself or its surroundings. Allowing it to cool off in an open are reduces the risk of damage and fires that can come from the heat being trapped in an enclosed area and will keep the log splitter from becoming damaged itself.
Towing the log splitter can be a great way of storing it and putting it into a proper storage area for safety and security. However, you should be careful that the tow jack of the log splitter is properly secured and perhaps consider extra support on top of the connection. Log splitters can be heavy and this extra precaution can save you from a damaged tow jack and a potentially damage log cutter.
– Storage Area
The storage area of the log splitter should also be of an appropriate cleanliness before storing. It should fit the log splitter and still leave a bit of room left over so that you can walk around and check the wood splitter after use and before towing to check on the maintenance of the machine. Any clutter should be kept well away and the log splitter should be completely cooled before covering it to ensure no residual heat could cause any complications.
With any big purchase, there are a huge number of factors and considerations to make so that you find the right product for your needs and get a product or machine that will give you everything you need, as well as the safety that you require. That is why we develop our guides, as researching all of these different areas, products and safety precautions can be incredibly time consuming, and many websites will give you conflicting information. We aim to help take the time and confusion out of these purchases by giving you all of the information you need in one place.
The Surf’n’Buy’s five recommended products are also carefully researched and all of the information is compiled for you in one easy to read review so that you know whether or not it will suit your needs without the extensive research. We hope that we have helped you to make a decision on what the best log splitter that will suit you and even helped you to make a purchase from our recommended list, which we believe are the best on the market.
We are constantly growing and developing our list of reviews and guides so that we can help you with all of your big purchases, so make sure to take a look at the other products we have recommended and the advice we have on many more products. We have new guides being developed all the time, so we hope to see you in the future for your next big purchase.