A few years ago, I made the decision to switch to organic fertilizers for my garden and, to be honest, I’ve never looked back. Not only are organic fertilizers better for your plants in the ingredients they use, they can actually be more potent and powerful than their synthetic counterparts. They are a natural and ecologically friendly way to help boost your garden and give you the produce and blooms you crave in your garden, completely sustainable and supportive for your plants.
If you have made the decision to switch from synthetic to organic fertilizers, have we got the products for you. We here at Surf’n’Buy have found three of the best organic fertilizers which will offer a range of different purposes for different gardens and gardeners. Take a look through each of our products as well as the information you need to make the switch and find the organic fertilizer your plants crave. We have all types, applications and factors to consider when making your purchase so that you get the right fertilizer for you. Keep reading and we assure you, you will find the right fertilizer for your garden.
Top 3 Organic Fertilizers
1. All Purpose Organic Plant Food
Plant Magic’s All Purpose Organic Plant Food provides your plants with everything they need to unlock their full genetic potential. This organic fertilizer uses entirely natural ingredients to rid your garden of synthetic fertilizers which are harmful to you and the environment.
Also known as Compose Tea, All Purpose Organic Plant Food is an easy to use, just add water formula so that you have the perfect mixture every time you apply it. This means that your plants will get the right level of support every time so that they can grow strong and beautiful. One bag makes up to 128 gallons of fertilizer which can cover up to 4,000 square feet, which is ideal for those with larger gardens or who are looking for the best value for money overall. To apply, simply water directly onto the soil when planting or watering to provide your plants with supreme support to aid their growth.
- Suitable for a large number of plants, flowers and fresh produce, this organic fertilizer can be used in any garden for any purpose.
- The high yield from each bag spreads across 4,000 square feet to give you the best value for money, and is ideal for larger gardens or grows.
- The easy to use ‘compost tea’ only requires water and promises an even mix of nutrients every time to give your garden the support it needs all year round.
- Free from all synthetic materials, this is an entirely natural and organic fertilizer for your garden or plants.
- All Purpose Organic Plant Food is also sustainable due to its natural ingredients and much better for the environment.
- The natural ingredients reduce the risk of burns on your lawn or damage to your plants.
- The natural support of All Purpose Organic Plant Food also reduces the risk of your plants succumbing to insects and grubs to maintain beautiful vibrancy and lush growth.
- There is a very high calcium content in All Purpose Organic Plant Food which can be dangerous for some plants.
- There is also a low level of magnesium and Sulphur in this fertilizer which may not provide all plants with the nutrients they need, so make sure to check the requirements of your plants.
- This fertilizer contains bone ash which you may not want to put around your plants.
- The smell of All Purpose Organic Plant Food is very strong, which can be unpleasant if you are using it on indoor plants.
- The strong smell can also attract gnats which can eat the leaves of the plants and be an annoyance if used on indoor plants.
- This fertilizer can also grow mushrooms around the grows which compete for root space with the plants you are trying to fertilize.
For those who are looking for an easy to use, all natural method of fertilizing their plants, the All Purpose Organic Plant Food is an excellent option. True to its nickname of compost tea, simply add water to this formula to obtain the same level of nutrients and minerals for your plants every single time, then water around the roots for the best support for your plants.
The natural ingredients make this fertilizer ideal for families with small children and those looking for natural fertilizers to use on home grown produce, as there are no synthetic chemicals which pose a threat to you or your plants. Although not suitable for every plant due to the low magnesium and Sulphur contents, this fertilizer is suitable for many different kinds of plants to make it an all round fertilizer for most gardens. If want quality as well as value, the All Purpose Organic Plant Food is the perfect fertilizer for you.
2. Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer
Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer offers an entirely organic and fast acting fertilizer for those who are looking for fast effective results in their garden. USDA certified, you can be sure that there are no nasty chemicals in this fertilizer, making it safe for young children as well as vegetables so that you can use it on almost any plant. The all purpose use means this fertilizer is suitable for flowers and vegetables, shrubs, trees and lawns to give you a high value, multipurpose fertilizer that you can use anywhere in your garden.
Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer includes Jobe’s biozome, a special microorganism archaea which aggressively breaks down natural materials. This biozome is the secret to this fertilizer’s fast acting results and will break down the organic materials to allow for quick release of their nutrients and goodness. Jobe’s biozome also helps to improve soil conditions, resist disease and insects as well as drought to give your plants the best protection throughout the year.
- The inclusion of Jobe’s biozome gives your plants the quick results you are looking for by aggressively breaking down natural materials to make nutrients available to your plants as quickly as possible.
- Jobe’s biozome improves soil conditions to allow your plant to resist disease, insects and other threats to protect it all year round.
- The entirely natural materials are USDA certified, sustainable and safe for use around children.
- The all purpose fertilizer can be used on vegetables as well as aesthetic plants so there is no need to purchase multiple kinds of fertilizer.
- Granule application is as easy as placing them at the roots of your plants and allowing water to do the rest of the work for you.
- Free from synthetic materials, Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer is also much better for the environment.
- Granule applications can be difficult to ensure an even application around the whole of the plant or garden.
- Due to the unprocessed nature of the ingredients, natural fertilizers such as Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer can be more dangerous for animals and makes them very ill.
- The smell of this fertilizer can be quite strong and makes it unpleasant for use on indoor plants as it has been noted by some consumers to last up to a week. It is recommended to bury the fertilizer when using to minimize the smell.
- The newer bags of Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer do not carry the OMRI label which may mean your purchase is nor certified organic.
- This fertilizer can attract gnats which may damage the plant and be an annoyance if used on indoor plants.
For those looking for an all purpose fertilizer which is suitable for use on a wide range of plants, Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer is an excellent choice. This fertilizer will give you quick results due to the unique additives in the formula so that your plants get the nutrition they need as soon as possible. The main drawback to this product is the intense smell that comes from the fertilizer which can attract flies and be incredibly unpleasant for long periods of time. This may make Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer less suitable for indoor plants.
On the other hand, outdoor plants will love this fertilizer which offers them all of the nutrients they need. You can use this fertilizer on many different vegetables, flowers and shrubs to bring out their vibrancy and help them grow faster, whilst also protecting them from the perils of insects and disease.
3. Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer
Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer provides a 20-20-20 NPK rating, making it suitable for a wide range of plants and ideal for maintaining a beautiful garden or a strong plant growth. The balanced formula supports root and shoot growth as the phosphorus and potassium support both of these processes at the same time to allow for faster and more sustainable growth.
The balanced formula also provides the support needed for a faster greening of leaves and stems, but also includes a high percentage of ammonium and urea nitrogen. This gives your plant the nutrition it needs to grow larger and juicier fruits or vegetables, brighter flowers and stronger leaves.
Simple to use, all you have to do is add water to the Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer to provide your plants with an even and sustained fertilization with no need for granule placement. This method of application also allows for faster uptake of the nutrients because the immobile nutrients will be moved by the water.
- With a 20-20-20 NPK rating, Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer is suitable for an incredible range of plants, fruits and vegetables to give them the support they need for a full bloom and a juicy harvest.
- The balanced potassium and phosphorus supports proper root growth and shoot development at the same time so your plant will be fully supported.
- The even level of nitrogen helps your plants to reach green faster than most other fertilizers available on the market.
- With a high percentage of ammonia, your garden is provided all the nutrients it needs and then some.
- The water soluble application is easy to use and allows for the mobilization of all nutrients to make it easier for your plant to access them and ensures an even application for sustainable growth.
- Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer requires a special applicator in order to work properly which can make it unsuitable for most standard home growing set ups.
- Getting the right water to fertilizer can be difficult as the requirements of the plants play a large role in how much fertilizer they will need.
- If you use too much of Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer it can cause damage to plants rather than fertilizing them which can be a danger for first time users. This is because of the high ammonia content in the fertilizer.
- This fertilizer is not suitable for more delicate plants which will require different NPK ratings which limits the amount of uses it has, however it can be used on most lawns, trees and shrubs.
- After applying this fertilizer you will need to leave it to settle in for a long period of time due to the ammonia content which makes it less suitable for lawns if you want to use them right away.
If you are looking for a more industrial, farming level fertilizer that offers the same level of support in all areas of growth, Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer is a great option for your garden or farmland. This fertilizer has a 20-20-20 NPK rating to provide all of the nutrients your plants need at the same time, no need for extra fertilizers or products. The only downside to this is that it may not therefore be suitable for a range of plants which need a more delicate and calculated balance of nutrients.
Water soluble and suitable for use in hydroponics, you can use this fertilizer in all areas of your garden or farmland to provide sustained and professional support for your plants and growths. It also allows for the mobilization of potassium, which is important to enable your plants to access the nutrients they really need.
Types of Organic Fertilizer
Organic fertilizer essentially refers to the same thing every time you hear it: it is an all natural fertilizer made of organic materials which break down to provide your plants with essential nutrients. The main difference between different kinds of organic fertilizers is that there are different ingredients and different methods of application. This part of our guide will discuss the main types of organic fertilizer and how to use them properly.
Dry fertilizers are mixed into the soil without the need for water. They are usually a long-term support for the plant rather than a quick dose of nutrients and are added to encourage growth in seedlings and plant transfers.
Liquid fertilizers may need to be added to water to dilute them or may simply need to be poured straight onto the plant roots. These fertilizers are usually required to be applied more frequently than dry fertilizers as they will be absorbed quickly and then need topping up.
Growth enhancers aren’t technically fertilizers but additional substances which provide an extra boost of vitamins and minerals. Examples of growth enhancers are kelp or different kinds of blood or plant meals. Fertilizers don’t need these in their ingredients, so don’t be fooled by advertising, but they can be a nice addition to plants which need a little boost.
There are a number of different plant meals that can be used, such as cottonseed meal, corn gluten meal or soybean meal. These fertilizers are known to break down faster due to their origin but are usually used to condition soil and attain the correct environment before planting rather than as a fertilizer during growth.
The most popular manures are cow and poultry manures. Both manures have a high nutrient to mass ratio so do not need to be used in a great amount. Cow manure is ideal for the growth period but be careful as it can contain a lot of salt which can burn plants. Poultry manure works a little faster than cow manure and is better used at the end of harvest to support your crops in a new growth cycle.
Compost is one of the most popular types of organic fertilizer because it is easy to make at home from leftover clippings and soil. However, this results in an unpredictable nutrient profile which may change in every application. It is recommended to have your compost tested if you have particularly sensitive plants you wish to apply it to, but it is an easy and cheap way of creating your own organic fertilizer.
Bone meal is a very popular type of organic fertilizer and works to encourage flower production and root growth. It is best use as a soil enhancer or a cure for areas of soil where plants are getting burned because it neutralizes high nitrogen levels.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing Organic Fertilizer
When you’re buying organic fertilizer there are a few things you need to keep in mind before you buy to make sure you get the right product for your needs and the needs of your plant.
Soil type is important because the composition of the soil will change the nutrient profile required from a fertilizer. It is recommended that if you don’t know the composition of your soil that you get it tested so that you understand its deficiencies and where your plant will need the most support.
Time of Year
Depending on the time of year you plan on fertilizing your plants, the needs of your plants will change. Weather conditions have a huge effect on nutrient availability since organic fertilizer take some time to break down and this will change depending on temperature and moisture. In winter, you may need a water soluble fertilizer rather than a granule as this will make the nutrients available faster. If you are planning to fertilize in the summer, a granule may be best as it will degrade faster and make the nutrients available to the plants.
Different species of plant will need different things, so it is important to familiarize yourself with the needs of your plants before purchasing a fertilizer. You should also aim to understand your soil to understand where it is lacking. Some plants will be damaged by too much nitrogen where others will need more potassium. Get to know your plants and then look for fertilizers which offer the right nutrients according to the needs of the plant.
That’s all the information you could need to buy the right organic fertilizer for your garden to make sure you get the growth you want and your plants get the support they need. If you are looking for fast results, Jobe’s Organics All Purpose Granular Fertilizer is specially designed to speed up the break down process of natural ingredients. For those looking for something a bit more professional and ideal for farmland, Jacks Prof 77010 General Purpose Fertilizer is the one for you as it is highly soluble and perfect for hydroponic systems. However, if you are new to organic fertilizers and what something all purpose and incredibly easy to use, All Purpose Organic Plant Food is the one for you with its easy application and even mix every time.
Organic fertilizers are the best for your plants as well as being completely sustainable and ecologically friendly so you’re not just supporting your garden, you’re supporting the planet. We hope that we have helped you find the right organic fertilizer for your garden’s needs. These fertilizers offer a great range for many different purposes and we at Surf’n’Buy are certain one of these options is ideal for you.