Lawn fertilization is no walk in the park. If you are looking forward to summer barbecues, family parties and lots of time in the garden this summer, you need a fertilizer that will make your lawn its most enjoyable. There are so many different kinds of fertilizers to choose from, from synthetic to organic, with and without additional kinds of support, it can be tricky to know which is best. If you’ve scorched your lawn with a synthetic fertilizer, or you are a family with young children, you may be considering organic fertilizer to be a good move in your lawn maintenance mission.
That is where we come in, we have all of the information you need to get the best out of your lawn and the three best organic lawn fertilizers which will get your lawn looking its best this summer. We at Surf’n’Buy aim to give you all the help you need to find the perfect purchase as well as how to get the most out of it. We are certain that this guide will do just that. Take a look at our top three recommended fertilizers then find the perfect fertilization schedule to fit your busy lifestyle in our information guide below.
Top 3 Organic Lawn Fertilizers
1. The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer
The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer is a slow release organic fertilizer to provide your lawn with long lasting and extended support, helping it to grow green and luscious so that you really get to enjoy it. The simple granule application is no mess, no fuss. Suitable for conventional application equipment, you need nothing more than this fertilizer. Forget about mixing with water or complicated application methods, simply sprinkle across the lawn and let the water do the work.
The high percentage of amino acids and extended nitrogen release source gives your lawn everything it needs for strong growth and complete support. This also means less applications throughout the year, making this a very low maintenance lawn fertilizer which is perfect for those with a busy schedule. Suitable for use in hot and cold weather, you can apply this fertilizer at any time of year to give your lawn the support it needs to grow thick and green.
This fertilizer is completely plant derived, with no biosolids, manure or animal parts so that is much cleaner and has no foul smells, ideal for a busy garden. The formula is designed in homogenous granules to be low dust and to reduce the risk of burning your lawn. This gives you a clean and easy application and no dark or dry spots, so even greenery. Safe for use around children and pets, this is the ideal fertilizer for busy homes because it is non-toxic and completely safe for families.
- The slow release formula allows for extended support so your lawn has the support it needs for a longer period of time.
- The homogenous granules allow for a simple sprinkle application so there is no mess.
- The dust free design is much cleaner when applying than most other granule fertilizers
- Suitable with standard application equipment, there is no need to purchase professional or specialist equipment.
- The high percentage of amino acids gives your lawn much stronger fertilizer than many other fertilizers on the market.
- With extended nitrogen release, your lawn is supported much longer than other fertilizers to minimize the number of applications throughout the year.
- Suitable for use in both hot and cold weather, you can apply this fertilizer at any time of year to provide your lawn with adequate support.
- The completely plant derived formula has no biosolids or animal parts to limit smell and provide a completely clean and organic fertilizer for your lawn.
- Safe for use around pets and children, this is the ideal fertilizer for busy homes and young families.
- Granule application fertilizers are difficult to spread evenly so some of your lawn may get more fertilizer than others which can make it uneven.
- This fertilizer has quite a strong smell which can be irritating for some consumers.
- The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer can attract bugs and mites if left unused which may cause irritation for those who don’t use the whole bag in one application.
If you are looking for a high quality and high value fertilizer for your lawn, the The Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer is the perfect option for you. It is a low maintenance fertilizer because it doesn’t require too many applications and provides your lawn with a slow release, water soluble fertilizer to ensure that your lawn gets plenty of nutrients. Completely organic and free from biosolids or animal parts, this is a much cleaner, dust free fertilizer which is much less smelly than many other fertilizers available. Non-toxic and suitable for use around children and pets, this is the perfect fertilizer for young families and busy households so that you can enjoy your lawn without worry.
2. Purely Organic Lawn Food
Purely Organic Lawn Food is a sustainable, organic fertilizer which is formulated from waste food, making it excellent for your lawn and eco-friendly. This fertilizer enhances the health of the soil and microbial activity to nourish your lawn from the inside out. The completely organic formulation will not burn your lawn and being free from manure, it will have a much lighter smell than many other fertilizer options.
With 5,000 square feet of coverage with one bag, this is one of the highest value fertilizers available on the market. The 10-0-2 formulation also ensures no synthetic phosphorus to ensure an entirely natural fertilizer. This makes Purely Organic Lawn Food suitable for families with pets and young children because it is non-toxic and there are no restrictions on re-entry time after application so you can enjoy your garden as soon as possible. The all natural ingredients also reduce the risk of toxicity.
- Formulated with waste food products, this is an entirely environmentally friendly and sustainable lawn fertilizer to help support your garden.
- Designed to increase the health of the soil and support microbial activity, your lawn will be supported from the roots to the blades with Purely Organic Lawn Food.
- The organic formula reduces the risk of burning your lawn so there are no dark or dry spots for a completely even green.
- Free from animal products and manure, Purely Organic Lawn Food has a much lighter smell than most fertilizers.
- One bag covers up to 5,000 square feet, making this the ideal fertilizer for large lawns or frequent applications.
- The formulation of 10-0-2 ensures that there is no synthetic phosphorus in this fertilizer so you have an all natural product with no toxicity.
- The organic nature of Purely Organic Lawn Food needs no time to settle after application so you can get straight back into your garden after use.
- The Purely Organic Lawn Food has been said to smell like beer when you first open it which may be irritating for some consumers.
- This fertilizer has quite a high price, so is not ideal for those looking for a bargain.
- Many consumers have noticed that this fertilizer take a long time to make a difference on the lawn, so frequent applications may be recommended.
- The soil designed fertilizers can be messy to apply.
- This fertilizer also requires 4 applications a season which will take a lot of time and may not fit with a busy schedule.
- This fertilizer also requires a lot of water to spread which can be expensive and requires a lot of time to maintain for those who don’t have sprinkler systems.
If you are looking for a high quality, organic and sustainable fertilizer then Purely Organic Lawn Food is the one for you. This fertilizer is specially crafted from waste food products to make sure that it is one of the most eco friendly options on the market. This is ideal for consumers who want a fertilizer with a little more of a conscience. Although it will require more applications and more water than most other fertilizer options, one bag will cover up to 5,000 square feet, which is great for larger gardens and lawns. Since it’s organic and contains no synthetic phosphorus, you can also get straight back into your garden after using this fertilizer, which is just what you need if you have children or pets who want to use the garden. Although the Purely Organic Lawn Food may be a little more expensive of an option, its quality and eco-friendly formulation is second to none.
3. PRO Organic Lawn Fertilizer by Shin Nong
PRO Organic Lawn Fertilizer by Shin Nong helps to maintain a lush lawn which remains in its best condition for much longer. Formulated from completely organic and natural ingredients, this is a high quality fertilizer to feed your lawn. Simply sprinkle this fertilizer on your lawn every three to four months for the best results, as this is a very low maintenance fertilizer. The organic formulation also allows this to be an all purpose fertilizer for use on any plants.
Specially designed to maximize microorganism activity for healthier soil and stronger plants, you can be sure that your lawn is getting everything it needs for properly supported growth. This also helps to develop a bigger and stronger root structure underneath the plant so that it can access the nutrients it needs quicker and more effectively. The organic materials also help to protect your plants from disease and insect attacks to make them more resilient as well as help them to grow a richer color and more fruits.
Designed as natural and organic, this fertilizer also won’t harm your garden from burning as there are no damaging chemicals included.
- PRO Organic Lawn Fertilizer by Shin Nong is 100% natural and organic to provide your lawn with a natural feed.
- This is an all purpose fertilizer so that you can feed any plant that needs it.
- Incredibly easy to use, simply sprinkle across the lawn every three to four months.
- This fertilizer maximizes microorganism activity for healthier and stronger soil and plants to make your garden the most beautiful it can be.
- Develops bigger and stronger root to improve the structure of the plant and increase its ability to hold more water and nutrients.
- The specialist ingredients mean your plants will have greater resistance to disease and insect attacks.
- This fertilizer is specially designed to grow a rich color and more fruits on all plants.
- PRO Organic Lawn Fertilizer by Shin Nong will cause no harm to your plants and soil from burning.
- The easy application is only required three to four times a year, so it is much more low maintenance than other options.
- If you are planning to use the fertilizer as a spray fertilizer, it may make a thick residue in the bottom of the mix which can clog the equipment.
- This product has a habit of attracting small flies which may be annoying for those with lots of indoor plants or keep fertilizers inside.
- There is a high arsenic content in this fertilizer so it is not suitable around children and pets while it settles in and will not be suitable for growing edible plants.
- The pellets can grow moldy on top of the soil if they are covered in a lot of water which can damage the plant itself.
The PRO Organic Lawn Fertilizer by Shin Nong is an entirely natural and organic fertilizer which won’t cause damage to your lawn since it has completely natural ingredients to help support soil health, root growth and strong plants. This will help grow the best possible lawn to enjoy this summer. With added protection from insects and disease, this is also the perfect all round fertilizer for any plants. The main issue with this fertilizer is that there is cyanide included in the ingredients, which makes it unsuitable for use on items used for food and around small children and pets as it is toxic and therefore dangerous. However, it is one of the strongest natural fertilizers to provide you with a beautiful and lush lawn.
When to Consider Applying Organic Fertilizer to Your Lawn?
Fertilizing works best when it is applied according to a fertilizing schedule. Most people fertilize when they think their lawn needs it, or according to the price of fertilizer, such as sales or clearances. There are different lawn fertilization schedules you can choose from, which makes it easier for those who have busy schedules. If you only have time to fertilize your lawn once per year, fertilize it between the end of April and beginning of May. This is when your lawn needs it most because it is getting ready to grow for the summer season. Fertilizing at this time gives your lawn all the nutrients it needs to for a lush lawn in the summer.
If you fertilize your lawn twice per year, apply the first between May and April then the second application should be applied in the middle of October. This will top up the nutrients your lawn needs as it goes into the winter which can be a stressful time for growth and maintenance. A second application does not need to be as extensive as the first. In fact, you can use around half the amount of fertilizer you used in the first application as you are simply ensuring that nutrients are topped up, not provided.
If you can apply a third application, this can be done in the mid to late spring and combined with a crabgrass preventer to keep your lawn soft enough to lie on and for children to play. Then, a fourth can be applied in the middle of summer which can protect your lawn from drying out. However, a fourth application is not always necessary.
How Long Does it Take for Organic Fertilizer to Work?
Organic fertilizer is slightly slower to work than their non-organic counterparts because the nutrients are only made available after the natural ingredients begin to decompose and release their goodness. This process can take anywhere from two to six weeks depending on a number of different factors. The higher the temperature and the more moisture available, the faster this process will occur. This is because the higher temperature encourages microbial activity and therefore the breakdown of organic matter.
The water also allows microbes the hydration they need to activate. If you want to speed up the process, make sure there is plenty of water available to the fertilizer and make sure you are following one of the fertilizer schedules mentioned above. This will help to make the organic fertilizer work as quickly and successfully as possible to give your lawn all of the nutrients it needs and provide you with a beautiful, lush lawn for the summer.
If you are to follow the right schedule and continue using organic fertilizers, you will find that there is a build up of nutrients and a circular process will begin. The fertilizer will feed the soil which will then feed your plants. Organic fertilizers will then increase the number of food producing critters in the soil which will continue to present more food for your lawn. As this process goes on, you will find that you will need to fertilize less frequently than you did in the beginning.
Is Organic Lawn Fertilizer Safe?
Organic fertilizer is generally considered to be much safer than synthetic fertilizers for a number of reasons. First, there is much less chemical exposure from an organic fertilizer than there is a synthetic fertilizer because it is made from natural matter. This means there is less risk of chemical burns on your lawn and there are no dangerous chemicals which make the lawn unsafe for children or pets. Organic fertilizers also allow you to get back on the lawn faster after application so you can enjoy it to its fullest.
However, this is not to say that organic fertilizers are risk free. Depending on the type of organic fertilizer you choose, there are a number of risks you need to take into consideration. The most important factor to take into account is the organic matter actually used in the fertilizer. Many organic fertilizers are made from different kinds of manures and waste materials which can also be dangerous for young children and pets to be around. To make sure that your lawn is as safe as possible after a fertilizer application, always make sure to leave it to settle in for the recommended time according to the packet instructions. If you want to take extra precautions, wait for longer than recommended so that the organic matter has really had time to seep into the soil.
Lawn maintenance is not as easy as many may seem, and that is why we here at Surf’n’Buy do what we do, to make the hard jobs simple. That’s all the information you need to know about organic fertilizers for your lawn so that you have a lush, green space to enjoy this summer. Making sure that you have the right product is only half the battle, it’s also important to ensure that you are applying the product at the appropriate times.
If you are looking for a top quality lawn fertilizer that will give you quick results, the PRO Organic Lawn Fertilizer by Shin Nong is the perfect fertilizer for you. For those looking to provide extended support to their lawns throughout the year, the Andersons 7-1-2 Innova Organic Fertilizer may be a better consideration. Alternatively, those with young children or who are especially worried about any synthetic materials making it into their fertilizer, the Purely Organic Lawn Food offers you a completely clean, entirely organic fertilizer which will have your lawn looking at its best.
We hope we at Surf’n’Buy have helped you to find the products that will give you the lawn of your dreams and look forward to seeing you in our next guide!