I love working in my garage on new woodworking projects and different kinds of DIY, but it gets so much more difficult in the colder months. The last thing you want when you’re working with tools is for your hands to freeze up and not be able to wrap around a wrench. The solution? A propane gas heater. They are the lightest heaters, and the propane itself is one of the cleanest burning fuels out there, so no smell and no powerful emissions. Are you looking for a solution to your cold workspace or construction site? A propane garage heater may be just the option for you. With an added odorant, propane is easy to detect when there is a leak and yet highly effectual to ensure your workspace is heated quickly and efficiently.
Surf’n’Buy have found six of the best propane gas garage heaters on the market this year to help you decide which option is the best one to suit your needs.
Top 6 Propane Garage Heaters
1. STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA
The STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA is designed with a built in handle and extremely compact design so that you can take it with you wherever you go. At only 12 pounds, this space heater is incredibly lightweight and easy to move. The powerful 60,000 maximum BTU has the capability to heat up to 300 cubic feet of space so that you can ensure any work space is the perfect temperature. This high quality steel space heater is incredibly durable so that you can take it to any garage, jobsite or work area you want as long as it has enough adequate ventilation. The simple push button ignition is easy to ignite and eradicates the need for batteries or matches. You won’t be looking for mains sockets or hunting for batteries with the STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA.
- The highly durable steel body of the STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA makes it perfect for even the busiest of construction sites as it won’t be damaged easily.
- The 12 pound weight and built in handle makes it easy to carry around with you, as it is much lighter and more convenient than other models.
- The powerful 60,000 BTU capability heats even the largest of construction sites and work spaces to a comfortable temperature.
- The push button ignition powers the space heater in seconds so there is no need to light this space heater manually, simply press the on button and it gets to work.
- Although it is a propane gas heater, this model is designed to ensure there is no smell emitted.
- There is a built in shut off function to ensure this space heater will turn off it falls, making it a much safer model than others available.
- There is no control for the level of heat you would like to produce, so you will have to switch the heater on and off to keep the room at a level temperature.
- The connection between the tank and the hose requires a wrench to tighten which is not included in the purchase, which can be an annoyance for some customers.
- Although it is powered by propane, in order to power the fan you will need to plug the space heater into a mains socket.
- The flames of the propane come within 6 inches of the mouth of the space heater and this can be dangerous if you are working on a construction site with lots of falling debris.
The STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA is one of the most powerful and convenient space heaters on the market. Not only is it lightweight and built with a carrying handle, it is also incredibly durable, allowing you to take it to any construction site. Cool to the touch and crafted with an innovative shut down feature, this space heater is safe for use in any workspace. The powerful 60,000 BTU gets to work at the press of a button to quickly heat up any area as quickly as possible, perfect for use both in and outdoors. If you are looking for a top quality space heater, look no further than the STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA.
2. Mr. Heater F232000
The Mr. Heater F232000 is the perfect space heater for home use, offering anywhere from 4,000 to 9,000 BTUs for spaces up to 225 square feet. Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use, this space heater is clean burning and almost 100% energy efficient. To ensure your safety, this space heater has an automatic shut off function if it tips over and it can sense if the pilot light goes out or there are low oxygen levels in the room so it stops emitting propane. This makes it ideal for indoor use when the weather gets really cold.
At a maximum of 0.099 gallons per hour when at its highest temperature, the Mr. Heater F232000 saves energy and saves you money. With a huge 3 hour time limit, you can run this space heater without having to worry about turning it off. The fold down handle and swivel out regulator, the Mr. Heater F232000 is easy to move around and simple to use. At only 9 pounds, the lightweight design of this space heater means it is even easy to carry for smaller and weaker customers.
- The lightweight design and fold down handle of the Mr. Heater F232000 makes it perfect for all users as it is easy to move and carry.
- The impressive 9,000 BTUs and 3 hour time limit ensures almost complete energy efficiency so you can heat a room without worrying about cost.
- Suitable for spaces up to 225 cubic feet, as well as indoor and outdoor use, you can use this space heater in any space.
- The innovative shut off features ensures your safety when using this space heater so there is no need to be concerned about oxygen levels and loss of power.
- The tip sensor is very sensitive and can be triggered if the space heater is knocked but does not fall over.
- This space heater does not come with a built in fan, so there is nothing to circulate the heat around the room.
- The Mr. Heater F232000 has a slightly higher consumption level than others on the market, which can make fuel a more regular purchase which can be costly in the long run.
- This space heater can leave condensation underneath it after use, this can be a slipping hazard when moving the unit to a different area, so be cautious of this.
For those of you who are looking for a truly great value space heater, the Mr. Heater F232000 is an excellent option. This heater has all of the necessary safety functions for indoor use and a powerful BTU level to ensure even larger spaces are thoroughly heated. The lightweight design and flip up handle allows almost anyone to carry this heater without struggling. The innovative safety features ensure your safety throughout use, no need to monitor oxygen and propane levels or worry about tipping because this space heater does it for you. At almost 100% energy efficiency and incredible clean burning, you will save yourself a bundle on gas, making this our best value option available in 2020.
3. Mr. Heater F271390
With up to 125,000 BTUs, the Mr. Heater F271390 can heat up to a massive 3,125 square feet. And runs up to 11.5 hours so that you can heat any work space for any amount of time. With a high temperature limit control, you can decide how hot the area gets without having to switch this space heater on and off to maintain a stable temperature. The continuous ignition ensures you don’t have to worry about the flame going out and the QBT technology makes this space heater up to 50% quieter than most standard models. With a standard 10 inch hose and regulator, the Mr. Heater F271390 is fully certified and suitable for both home and professional use, in or outdoors. The heavy duty handle makes it easy to carry and the split barrel design makes maintenance a breeze.
- 50% quieter than other models, you won’t even notice the Mr. Heater F271390 is in the room, simply switch it on and get to work.
- The split barrel design makes maintenance easy so that you don’t need to be working with tricky, tight spaces.
- The high temperature limit gives you full control over the height of the temperature your work space reaches.
- The heavy duty handle makes this space heater easy to carry so that you can move it to the areas you need it most.
- Capable of heating up to 3,125 square feet, this space heater is perfect for professional use to heat large areas, or even for use outside to keep you warm as you work.
- With a massive 11.5 hour time capability on a lower setting and around 8 hours on a higher setting, you can continue to use this space heater all day without worrying about running out of fuel.
- Fully certified and equipped with everything you need, this space heater is ideal for use in any area.
- At only 3 pounds, this space heater is one of the lightest options on the market.
- The Mr. Heater F271390 can be difficult to light, so you may struggle to get used to igniting it on the first few tries.
- This space heater is not as quiet as other options, which may be irritating if you need to concentrate or work in a particularly quiet site.
- On higher settings, this space heater burns through gas pretty quickly, so may be expensive in the long run if you like a particularly warm work room.
- The thermostat of this space heater can switch off when it reaches a certain temperature which makes it difficult to monitor the temperature of the room.
The Mr. Heater F271390 wins the prize of Surf’n’Buy’s guide for propane space heaters. This space heater offers to heat an incredibly large space and is incredibly lightweight and durable so you can take it anywhere you need. Up to 50% quieter than other space heaters, this model is one of the best. Fully certified and built with features for easy maintenance and full control over the temperature, you won’t regret purchasing this space heater for your next project.
4. Mr. Heater MH35LP
Although it might be the heaviest option we have here, the Mr. Heater MH35LP is the most portable option in our guide today, with a folding handle and wheels to make sure that you can get it from A to B without any hassle. Capable of up to 35,000 BTU, this space heater can heat spaces up to 875 square feet, ideal for construction and work sites. Its small and compact design will fit into any space, so you don’t need to worry about tripping or having to work around this space heater.
The efficient design is built to heat directly, not just the surrounding air so that the warmth moves to the entire room rather than a set area. With everything you need to get started, the only extra purchase is the propane so that you can get started right away with the Mr. Heater MH35LP. The one year limited warranty also ensures you are covered for any manufacturing failures.
- The highly portable design means you can move the Mr. Heater MH35LP as you need to, providing heat for the entire workspace and not just the surrounding air.
- With the ability to heat up to 875 square feet, this space heater is great for construction sites and workshops to keep you warm and keep you working.
- The Mr. Heater MH35LP comes with everything you need so that you can get started straight away, all you need to do is attach the propane.
- This space heater comes mostly assembled so there is little you need to do to get started.
- There is no customization ability with the Mr. Heater MH35LP, so you cannot decide to keep it at a lower temperature if you wish. This can mean having to keep turning the space heater on and off to maintain a stable temperature.
- There are no monitors for oxygen or carbon monoxide, so make sure to purchase these separately to keep indoor areas safe and well ventilated.
- This space heater is not simply ignited with the switch, so this can be a little tricky to master at first.
- This space heater will only attach to some propane tanks, so you may need to consider this or buy an adapter to allow you to use other kinds of propane tanks.
The Mr. Heater MH35LP is one of the most portable options on the market to get your work space heated with little fuss. Simply tilt and roll the space heater to get it from A to B and get your work space warmed up. The huge BTU capability can heat up to 875 square feet, perfect for indoor use in workshops and in smaller construction sites. With no need for extra parts or a lot of assembly, you can simply attach a propane tank and get your work space heated to a comfortable and efficient temperature. If you are looking for an easy to use and quick to set up space heater, the Mr. Heater MH35LP is an excellent option for you.
5. Pro-Temp Propane Forced Air Heater
The powerful 60,000 BTU heat output heats up to 1,500 square feet, making the Pro-Temp Propane Forced Air Heater perfect for heating both home and professional garages. With variable heat settings, there is no need to waste power and you are in full control of the temperature in your garage. The Pro-Temp Propane Forced Air Heater will run for up to 11 hours on a standard 20 pound propane tank, keeping your garage warm and toasty all day long. The 300 CFM airflow provides quick and efficient heating to get your garage up and running on brisk winter mornings. It is also powerful enough to heat open garages so that even when the door is open, you won’t feel the cold.
The simple press button ignition lights immediately and remains ignited for the duration of use to make this garage heater quick and easy to use, no need for lighters or matches to get this heater going. Weighing only 11 pounds and built with an easy grip handle, this electric garage heater can be moved easily to the areas that need it most and is quick and easy to transport wherever you go.
- 60,000 BTUs of power gives you some of the most efficient heat output on the market.
- Capable of heating up to 1,500 square feet, the Pro-Temp Propane Forced Air Heater is perfect for use in any home or professional garage, as well as open barns and other work spaces.
- The huge 11 hour lifespan on a standard 20 pound propane tank saves you money and ensures you have a warm work area all day.
- Variable heat settings put you in full control of the temperature to make sure you are comfortable throughout the day.
- The push button ignition gets the heater going straight away with no need for lighters or fiddly ignition techniques.
- The continuous ignition ensures the reliability of the space heater to make sure it doesn’t go out during the day.
- The lightweight design is easy to move and made for transportability, getting heat and airflow where you need it with minimal effort.
- The Pro-Temp Propane Forced Air Heater is very noisy and can be irritating when using it in a quiet area or for those who need silence to concentrate.
- It can be a little tricky to get the gas connection to flow properly, so you should make sure this is all correct before you start using the garage heater.
- This heater can also let out a slight smell when in use which can be unpleasant for those working in close proximity to the heater itself.
For those of you looking for a high quality, highly transportable and easy to use space heater for your garage, the Pro-Temp Propane Forced Air Heater is the perfect option if you’re looking for value. The long life on a standard 20 pound propane tank, the variable heat controls and the lightweight design help you heat the areas that need it most. The powerful airflow makes heating any area quick and easy whilst the push ignition means you can just switch on and get to work.
6. DynaGloDelux RA18LPDG Cabinet Heater
The DynaGloDelux RA18LPDG Cabinet Heater is capable of heating between 6,000 and 18,000 BTUs to heat up to 600 square feet to warm any room with no problem. The Piezo ignition is quick to start so there is no need to fiddle with matches to light this heater. Crafted with heat controls, you can change the temperature as and when you need it so that you can adapt the heater to the room to maintain a comfortable temperature.
The side carry handles and 20 pound weight makes this heater easy to move as you need to, making it much more convenient than its heavier counterparts. With up to 64 hours of operation with a 20 gallon tank, you can use this heater all day without running out of gas.
With a safety grill and oxygen depletion sensor, this is one of the safest cabinet heaters which will keep the user safe and shut off when there is little oxygen in the room. With a three plaque heating system, the temperature across the elements remains consistent to maintain an even temperature in the room.
- Capable of up to 18,000 BTUs you can heat a room up to 600 square feet.
- The press button ignition is quick to start so there is no need for lighters or matches.
- The built in heat controls allow you to change the heat to maintain an ambient temperature in the room.
- The lightweight design and built in carry handles make transporting and moving the heater much easier.
- With up to 64 hours of operation on a standard tank, this is one of the most efficient heaters on the market.
- The safety grill keeps the heating element away from the exterior of the heater to keep the users safe.
- The oxygen depletion sensor shuts off the heater when the oxygen levels of the room get too low to ensure the safety of the room and of the user.
- The three plaque heating system ensures an even consistency throughout the heater and an efficient heat output.
- The tip over sensor is very sensitive and the heater may shut off with the slightest bump or knock.
- Your purchase will not include a gas tank which will need to be purchased at an extra cost.
- The button may need to be pressed for several seconds to start the heater so it is not immediate.
- There are only three set levels which gives you less control over the temperature of the heater.
If you are looking for a high quality heater, the DynaGloDelux RA18LPDG Cabinet Heater is an excellent option to fill every need. With a long life and high enough power to heat up to 600 square feet, this heater is perfect for every need. The lightweight and transportable design makes this an easy to move heater so that you can move it around the room as you need to. With a tip over function and an oxygen depletion sensor, this is one of the safest models on the market.
Propane Heater Compared to Other Heater Types
Gas vs Propane
Although gas garage heaters are quieter than propane heaters, you can still have the same BTU level from a gas and propane heater, so you won’t be limited by the space you are looking to heat. Propane heaters are much more portable than gas heaters, making them ideal if you want to use them in a variety of locations. They also are more likely have a fan to circulate the air around the room and achieve an even temperature.
Electric vs Propane
Electric heaters are generally heavy or fixed on the floor or wall. Again, propane heaters give you the convenience of moving them around so you aren’t limited to only warming one area. Electric heaters are generally quieter than propane heaters, which may be better for quiet areas where you need to concentrate. They are also much lower in maintenance, which can be a huge benefit for someone with little experience with space heaters. However, they are also generally lower in power and cannot heat as large a room as propane heaters. So, if you are looking to heat a larger room, a propane heater is the option for you.
What is BTU and How Much do You Need?
BTU stands for British Thermal Unit and these are the units you will need to heat around one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. In terms of a space heater, it is often a point of reference for the ability to heat a certain area. Therefore, depending on the space of the area you would like to heat changes the BTUs you will need.
Area to be heated / BTUs Required
|100 up to 150||5,000|
|150 up to 250||6,000|
|250 up to 300||7,000|
|300 up to 350||8,000|
|350 up to 400||9,000|
|400 up to 450||10,000|
|450 up to 550||12,000|
|550 up to 700||14,000|
|700 up to 1,000||18,000|
|1,000 up to 1,200||21,000|
|1,200 up to 1,400||23,000|
|1,400 up to 1,500||24,000|
|1,500 up to 2,000||30,000|
|2,000 up to 2,500||34,000|
- Make sure the room is properly ventilated.
- Read the owner’s manual to ensure that you understand the maintenance required and that this is done within the recommended timeframe.
- Remember to turn off your space heater when you are not present to monitor it.
- A carbon monoxide monitor and thermometer are great extra purchases to ensure the safety of those around you.
We hope that Surf’n’Buy have helped you to find the right space heater for your needs. If you are looking for the best quality space heater, the Mr. Heater F271390, with its innovative safety features and simple to maintain design is the best option out there for your needs. However, if you are simply looking for a home space heater, or something of great value, the Mr. Heater F232000 and the STANLEY ST-60HB2-GFA are excellent options to keep any space warm without a huge price tag.
- What Size Air Conditioner Do You Really Need?, Apartment Therapy