During my childhood, one of my favorite past times involved climbing the peach trees at my best friend’s home and plucking loads of ripe, juicy fruit whenever they were in season. Imagine my alarm when one day during a visit, I saw his dad, wreaking havoc – or so I believed – on the objects of my affection with these tiny, sharp curved saws.
And they were sharp alright. But my shock was all forgotten by the time next season came around. After all, they had not only survived, but produced more amazing fruit too. The best pruning saws do just that. They enable you to get rid of diseased or broken branches on your favorite trees and shrubs. That way they get to remain in perfect health and flower and fruit beautifully.
And our team at Surf’n’Buy have compiled a list of the very best tools in this category which will enable you to prune your plants effectively. We will also be providing you with delightful extras. That way, you’ll get to know all you need to about selecting the pruning saw which is best for you.
Take a look at our list of top five pruning saws in 2019.
Top 5 Pruning Saws
1. Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth
A tool is only worth the quality of steel it’s made from and the quality of workmanship which has gone into it. So just how valuable is the Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth? For starters, there’s the fact that its manufacturer, Silky has a reputation for producing high quality Japanese steel. And there’s also the fact that it has specialized in creating saws of excellent quality for almost 100 years.
As a result, you can be certain that this is one saw which stands out among the rest in terms of quality. And that means you can only expect good things from it. Especially since it features Silky’s MIRAI-ME (Smooth Cutting) Technology. Like a blade which will not only remain resistant to rust and resin, but will be easy to clean afterwards. And which will enable you to cut those branches efficiently with a minimum of effort thanks to its special curvature.
But a sharp, super-effective blade wouldn’t be much use if it came with a poorly designed handle. Thankfully, the manufacturer has also extended their dedication to quality to this aspect too. The handle of the Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth has been made from molded rubber, a substance renowned for its durability. Molded rubber also happens to be resistant to a wide range of chemicals.
And the manufacturer’s sign of their faith in the quality of their product can be seen in their limited lifetime warranty which covers any material or workmanship-related issues. With all these qualities and more, it’s clear that this is one product which will enable you to prune and trim while expending the least effort possible.
- Less effort spent cutting: The Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth has been fitted with a special curved Japanese steel blade which also features precision-ground, razor-sharp extra large teeth with four cutting angles. And that means you’ll be able to cut through those branches with minimal effort compared to ordinary saws. Includes arborist 722-33 scabbard with additional entry point roller.
- A product which can be used with additional convenience: The black polypropylene sheath with a detachable belt holder supplied with the hand saw provides an additional level of convenience and safety during use.
- A product manufactured to last: Thanks to its chrome-plated blade, the Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth is especially resistant to rust and resin. Its handle has also been made using molded rubber which is renowned for being resistant to a wide range of chemicals.
- It’s expensive: Some customers who ordered this saw noticed that it costs more than other saws on the market.
The Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth combines all the features a pruning saw of excellent quality requires. Its resin resistant, chrome-plated blade and its durable handle show that this is one product which has been built to last. And thanks to its unique design and Silky’s MIRAI-ME (Smooth Cutting) Technology, you will also be able to look forward to pruning and trimming with ease. And because it comes with a polypropylene sheath as well as a detachable belt holder, you will also be able to look forward to an additional level of convenience when working with it too.
2. EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning
This next item will not only cut through wood, but bone and plastic too. And that means you can expect it to be able to cut through those branches with a minimum of fuss. But what is behind the ability of the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning to slice through some of the toughest substances like a boss ensuring you’ll be able to take care of any out of control growth with ease?
The secret lies in its 9 TPI (teeth per inch) carbon steel blade which offers the perfect balance of lightness and durability. And it’s also worth noting that the manufacturer has provided an uncoated blade to reduce friction to enable it to cut smoothly. Each tooth is also triple cut and has been hardened to enhance its durability.
And the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning is not just efficient but safe to use too. Its ergonomic, slip resistant handle comes with a solid grip making handling it significantly safer compared to standard tools. You will also be able to adjust the blade thanks to the presence of a movable bolt which attaches it to the handle.
And once you’re done with it and have wiped it carefully, you will be able to completely fold it into its handle. Hence, it will be perfectly safe for carrying about without you having to worry about those sharp teeth chewing their way through your pack. No wonder its manufacturer has declared they love it too and are only too glad to share it with you so that you will be able to discover all its awesome capabilities for yourself.
- Ease of use: The presence of a blade which is both light and robust and pretty sharp, makes the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning an excellent choice for gardening and yard work.
- A minimized risk of injury: In addition to paying close attention to the efficiency of the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning, the manufacturer has also taken the effort to produce a tool which is safe to use. Its lock-in blade and ergonomic handle with a solid grip are key factors which will ensure the risk of injury is minimized when it’s used. The fact that it’s also capable of folding into its handle is also another important feature which makes it perfectly safe for transporting or storage when it’s not in use.
- Lifetime warranty: The icing on the cake which shows the manufacturer’s faith in this pruning saw, is their lifetime warranty which promises you your money back in case you aren’t satisfied with it.
- Performance issues: A number of customers who purchased the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning complained about its inability to cut branches.
- Issues with the lock mechanism: Certain clients who purchased the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning noted that its lock mechanism could not keep the blade in the desired position.
With its ability to cut through some of the toughest substances and a 9 TPI (teeth per inch) carbon steel blade which is light and especially sharp, the EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning is an impressively versatile tool which can be used for gardening or camping. Especially since it happens to feature triple cut teeth which have been hardened to improve their durability.
The manufacturer’s dedication to ensuring it’s safe to use also deserves a special mention. Particularly its ergonomic handle and lock-in blade which reduce any risks of injury when handling it. The fact that it can be folded perfectly to keep those hardened, triple cut teeth out of the way is also an added plus.
3. DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw
Products which seem to tick every box on an item wishlist are a dream come true. Just like the DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw which has been brought to you courtesy of a manufacturer dedicated to assisting you in getting the job done. This two-in-one tool is actually capable of functioning as a standard hand held pruning saw trimming those shrubs and small trees, and a pole saw as well for tackling those branches high up.
And with an overall optimal reach of 22 feet when attached to the saw, their best selling DocaPole is actually capable of reaching higher than any other pole-saw combo currently available – an achievement which we think is no mean feat. The pole which can be telescoped between 6 – 24 feet, is also robust enough to hold the saw up securely. It’s also light enough to ensure using it is as convenient as possible for you.
That convenience is further enhanced by the presence of rubber handle grips and thumb lever clasps and a nail hook so you can hang it up once your trees have been pruned to perfection. And if you’re wondering if the saw which accompanies the pole is actually capable of getting the job done, we’re delighted to tell you it can. If it’s wood, this 13-inch chrome-plated tool, with a 3X-sided taper-ground tooth design will take care of it in the quickest time possible.
No wonder its manufacturer believes the DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw is the best dual-use pruning saw available at retailers today! And they’re far from the only ones who think so: hundreds of happy customers certainly agree with them. Which means that this is one tool which is simply a must have in every garden shed.
- A dual-purpose tool: The DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw may be used as a pole saw for cutting branches high above the ground or as a hand saw for trimming and pruning shrubs and smaller trees.
- The highest reaching pruning pole on the market: The DocaPole will provide an optimal pruning height of 22 feet (although it’s capable of reaching a height of 30 feet when used from a standing position). As a result, it’s capable of providing the highest pruning height compared to other similar products which are typically capable of reaching as high as 21 feet.
- A product manufactured to last: Thanks to its hard chrome-plated blade, the DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw is especially resistant to rust and resin. Its handle has also been made using molded rubber which is renowned for being resistant to a wide range of chemicals.
- Fragile pole: A few customers who purchased the DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw noted that it broke during use.
- Instability of pole: Customers who purchased the DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw noted that it rotated when used.
The DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw is ideal for handling branches closer to ground level as well as those high up around your home and garden. This dual-purpose tool comes with the DocaPole which has been designed to provide an optimal pruning height of 22 feet – higher than any pole-saw combo available at retailers.
The DocaPole GoSaw itself has been coated with chrome to enhance its durability and make it corrosion resistant. And thanks to its 13-inch bi-directional cut w/3X tooth design, it’s also the perfect choice for getting rid of any branches. Both components, the DocaPole and DocaPole GoSaw have also been designed for convenience and are light and robust.
The former can even be used with other attachments thanks to its tip which features Standard ACME threading. This pole has also been fitted with rubber handle grips and thumb lever clasps so that it’s even easier to handle. It even comes with a nail hook so you can hang it up in your garden shed once you’ve finished using it. All these qualities show that the manufacturer of this dual purpose tool has left no stone unturned in providing a product which is as close to perfection as possible for your pruning needs.
4. BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw
Trees which grow where you don’t want them to, branches which fall where they shouldn’t and planks which are the wrong size. What’s the best means of handling them all? The answer is a powerful tool which is capable of cutting through just about any substance, making it an excellent choice for taking care of those jobs around the home.
The BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw is one such example. Especially since it’s capable of cutting through wood, plastic and even metal. And it’s all thanks to its powerful 3.4 amp, 4,600 SPM motor, patented tool-free blade changes, large capacity blade, and a metal cutting blade.
What’s more, it also comes with a 6-foot cord which provides added flexibility, ensuring you’re able to move around as needed when operating it. It is also compact and lightweight making it easy to carry around your home and garden. In addition, its blades are really easy to change so you can switch between tasks with a minimum of fuss.
The result is a tool which is ideal for use both indoors and outdoors. And because safety is every bit as important as functionality, the BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw also features a safety catch which prevents it from getting switched on accidentally. If you’ve been searching for a compact, powerful saw which is ideal for gardening or repair jobs around the home, and will stay sharp too, this handsaw might just turn out to be all you’ve been searching for.
- A powerful, compact tool: The BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw has been fitted with a 3.4 amp, 4,600 SPM motor, lending it awesome power and making it capable of cutting through thick wood, plastic and even metal.
- A superb choice for indoor and outdoor tasks: The BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw is light and compact making it easy to carry around with you. It also comes with a 6-foot cord which also adds to the flexibility of using it.
- Effective safety measures: The manufacturer of this product has also taken the extra precaution of fitting it with a safety catch to prevent it from getting switched on accidentally.
- Difficulty in inserting blades: A small number of customers complained about problems they had experienced in inserting blades into the BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw.
- Performance issues observed: Customers who purchased the BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw also complained about being unable to use it for relevant tasks.
A powerful 3.4 amp, 4,600 SPM motor, a large capacity blade, and a metal cutting blade, make the BLACK+DECKER PHS550B Powered Handsaw a pretty efficient tool. Even more impressively, it’s capable of cutting through thick wood, plastic and even metal. It’s also especially light and yet robust making it the perfect choice for carrying out any repairs or work required around your home. And there’s no need to worry about it getting switched on accidentally since the manufacturer has taken the precaution of fitting the power saw with a safety switch to prevent such an occurrence.
5. TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw
Any saw that promises to enable you to achieve that deeply satisfying, perfect, smooth cut on your trees is definitely worth checking out. After all, how often do you come across a pruning saw that will enable you to cut just about anything? Not often. But a closer peek at the TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw shows why it has what it takes to live up to those guarantees.
There’s its flexible curved 13 inch blade which is not only the ideal shape for taking on those branches, but is also designed with 3-Sided razor, impact-hardened teeth to enhance its efficiency and longevity. And the manufacturer of the pruning saw has actually gone further to improve its durability by coating its blade.
And thanks to its lightweight, non-slip, pistol-grip handle which also features an additional thumb rest, it will be able to fit snugly into your hand while you use it. TABOR Tools has also added a “quick storage” hole so you can slip the saw onto a hook on your shed’s wall, which we think is a nice touch. Such attention to detail shows the determination of the manufacturer to combine the three virtues of durability, effectiveness and convenience in the same product.
But perhaps it’s no surprise in light of the fact that TABOR Tools has spent almost 3 decades designing gardening tools. And the fact that they’ve become a firm favorite for landscaping and gardening professionals is further proof of just how efficient they are. And that means you can expect them to deliver marvelously on their guarantees as far as the TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw is concerned.
- Suitable for cutting thick branches (maximum diameter 4 inches): The TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw has been designed to enable you to cut right through those branches which have a knack of showing up where they’re least wanted.
- Extra safety while you work: Thanks to the TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw’s non-slip, lightweight handle, your grip will be as firm as ever.
- Quick convenient storage: Thanks to the presence of its “quick storage” hole, setting your saw in a safe spot is just as convenient as using it. Simply place it on a hook on your shed wall once you’ve cleaned it up.
- Difficult to remove from sheath: Customers who purchased the TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw observed a great deal of effort was required to remove it from the sheath.
- Difficulty using blade: Complaints about the flimsiness of the TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw were noted.
With its lightweight yet extremely sharp blade which will go right through those 4 inch branches, TABOR TOOLS Pruning Saw lets you know why placing your trust in manufacturers which have built an excellent reputation is a great idea. Especially since they’ve paid attention to more than just the blade: its handle too is not only light and solid, but even features a thumb rest for a perfectly firm grip while you use it. And once you’re through, all you have to do is hang it up in your shed and watch your trees flourish with renewed health.
Pruning Saw Types
When those shears or hand pruners simply won’t do, it’s time to look to something else. And that happens to be a pruning saw. But how can you tell which one to choose? The answer to that is pretty simple: by selecting the tool best suited to the task in question. Here are the various types of pruning saws which will help you restore your garden, or orchard to the best of health in time for all those flowers and fruits.
Folding Pruning Saws
Tools in this category tend to be pretty varied in terms of size. And that means you’ll be able to find what you need no matter what size of branch you intend to take on. And if you need a trusty companion to take on an outdoor adventure, you’ll be able to find the tool that’s just right for you as well.
What do you do when that elm branch seems determined to grow right through your room on the top floor of your home? Especially when your ladder simply isn’t high enough? The best option is getting one of these. Essentially saws attached to telescoping poles, they will enable you to get rid of the troublesome branch from the safety of the ground. They are however best used on branches less than two inches wide.
Faster than your standard pruning saw, they tend to consist of a curved bow shaped frame with a blade running from one end to the other. Bow saws are usually pretty light and the best varieties will typically make short work of cutting of that branch or plank.
Just how well has your pruning saw been put together? And how will you be able to tell? The best manufacturers will let you know exactly what their products have been made of and any special features they come with too. The best blades should be made from high quality steel which may also be coated with another metal to improve their durability. They should also be sharp and light to make it extra easy to use them effectively.
Their handles should also be made from high quality materials and designed to provide a firm grip. Several manufacturers provide specially designed, slip-resistant ergonomic handles and may also provide additional features such as switch buttons to maximize safety during use.
What Type of Saw Do You Need?
The main influencing factor which will determine the kind of pruning saw you will require is the size of the branch you need to cut off (the best varieties of pruning saws are often capable of cutting branches of up to 4 inches in diameter). The type of tree and wood will also influence your choice as well.
Folding Pruning Saws
Do you need to cut the branches on that pear tree as smoothly as possible? If so opt for folding pruning saws to achieve that perfectly executed cut that will have the branch heal in the shortest possible time.
Are a great option where speed is your primary concern. That said, they’re often unsuitable for tight spots between branches. Hence they’re often best used to chop up fallen trees and branches as a result.
How To Sharpen and Replace the Blades?
Pruning saw blades not only get blunt but need replacing on occasion. But the good news is that they can be sharpened to achieve their original effectiveness and replaced where required. In this section, we examine how you can do both:
Sharpening Your Blades
- Protect your hands: First of all, you will need to put on a pair of heavy gloves to keep your hands safe from those teeth which can be sharp enough to cause cuts and lacerations.
- Clean the saw: Using steel wool and soapy water, clean the saw thoroughly to get rid of any debris clinging to its blade or its teeth. If required, use a solvent such as paraffin to get rid of any sap which may still be on the blade.
- Sharpen the teeth: Once your pruning saw is dry, clamp it firmly. Next, using your diamond file, sharpen the bevel of each tooth. Here it’s important to work according to the original angle of the bevels.
- Oil your blade: Once your saw has been sharpened, oil the entire tool, as doing so will keep it free from rust, then store it in a safe place until it’s ready to be used again.
Replacing Your Blades
- Remove the old blade: Remove the bolts which attach the blade to the handle and set them aside in a container.
- Replace new blade: Take the new blade from its package, slot it into the handle and take each bolt from the container and screw it in place and check for firmness.
- Start using your new blade: Once you’ve replaced your new blade, your saw will be ready for use. Dispose of the old blade safely.
In order to ensure each pruning exercise proceeds as smoothly as possible, you will need to adopt a number of safety measures. The most important of them include:
- Wearing protective clothing: This includes eye protection, thick gloves and clothing and a helmet. Protective headgear is particularly important if you happen to be using a pole saw.
- Verifying pruning saw is ready for use: You will need to ensure the blade is sharp enough and has been fastened properly since dull or loose blades can present a risk to your safety.
- Keeping children and pets away: Letting children and pets come close while you happen to be wielding a sharp object which requires maximum concentration is never a great idea. In order to prevent any risks to yourself or to them ensure they remain indoors throughout the entire exercise.
- Never standing directly beneath a branch: When sawing a branch with a pole saw, avoid standing directly beneath it as it will land on you and may result in injury.
To ensure your experience is as complete as possible, we’ve also provided a list of our favorite accessories. Here, you will find tools and helpful extras to enable you to prune like a pro.
The Pruning Book: Completely Revised and Updated
In this book, Lee Reich an expert horticulturist with 40 years experience of gardening shares his knowledge of pruning with detailed instructions and images.
Pruning and Training, Revised New Edition: What, When, and How to Prune
Over 800 plants are covered in this book which also provides colorful illustrations and clear, simple instructions which are easy to follow.
Pruning Gloves by Exemplary Gardens
Ergonomically designed for a firmer grip on your tools, these leather gloves are just what you need to keep your hands safe from injury while you prune your plants.
VIVOSUN 6.5 Inch Gardening Hand Pruner
Made for small vegetable and flower gardens, this tool can be used on small plants to trim them with precision while exerting minimal strain on your hands.
gonicc 8″ Professional Pruning Shears
Take care of light gardening tasks with these ergonomically designed shears which are not only comfortable and light, but also have titanium steel coated blades.
TABOR TOOLS GG12 Anvil Lopper
Get rid of small branches with this ‘King of Loppers’ which also comes with a free gift too.
TABOR TOOLS Hedge Shears for Trimming Borders
Trim your shrubs with ease with these shears which will not only reach any branch or bud, but will also cut them smoothly.
Tanglefoot Tree Wound Pruning Sealer
Protect your trees while they heal from pruning with this sealer which is also ideal for counteracting damage caused by insects, animals and storms.
TR Industrial Anti-Fog Safety Goggle
Protect your eyes with these amazing goggles which will fit perfectly even if you wear glasses.
Selecting the right pruning saw makes all the difference between getting to keep your plants and trees aesthetically pleasing and in perfect health, and having them grow out of control and even struggle with infection too. And with so many amazing options out there, making the best choice which will enable you to give your shrubs and trees the care they deserve can seem like an uphill task.
But thanks to our guide at Surf’n’Buy, you’ll not only know which pruning saw to select, but will also have important pointers on their use and maintenance at your fingertips. And while the products mentioned are the most effective currently available, three of them happen to stand out among the rest. Here is our selection of the most impressive tools out of the Best Pruning Saws in 2019.
Silky 722-33 Zubat Arborist Saw with XL Teeth: High quality steel and workmanship make this product an excellent choice for keeping your trees in great condition. The fact that it has also been made by a reputable manufacturer is also a huge plus. We were particularly impressed by its Silky’s MIRAI-ME (Smooth Cutting) Technology, its special curved, chrome-plated blade with razor-sharp XL teeth and its molded rubber handle. Especially since both components combine to form a tool which is light, durable and thoroughly efficient.
EverSaw Folding Hand Saw for Tree Pruning: The best products are those which do what they’re meant to while being easy to use. And the ability of this pruning saw to cut smoothly through wood, bone and plastic, while remaining light and durable was what stood out to us. We also liked the extra safety of its ergonomic handle, its adjustable, lock-in blade and the convenience of being able to fold it into its handle too.
DocaPole 6-24 Foot Pole Pruning Saw: Two-in-one products have their very own special appeal. And we really loved the fact that this is one tool which would let you trim those branches closer to the ground and those higher up too. And that’s not forgetting the fact that it actually provides the highest pruning height compared to other similar offerings from its competitors.
The special attention paid by the manufacturer to providing a blade and handle capable of rivaling some of the best offerings on the market is also another reason why this pole saw figures on our list of favorites. Choosing a pruning saw, knowing what kind you need and staying safe are all essential to getting the most out of your purchase. And we’re delighted to have shared our tips and pointers with you. And we hope you too will get to make short work of those branches and keep your favorite trees and shrubs in excellent condition.