A dog that couldn’t eat chicken? On a poultry farm? That was my friend Sheila’s pet husky York. It wasn’t that he was a fussy eater – he wasn’t. He’d wolf down everything in sight – stuff he was meant to (beef, lamb, veggies), stuff he wasn’t (the cat’s leftovers, that dish of cookies left momentarily unattended, and that huge wedge of cheese you were so certain a little puppy couldn’t reach) – thankfully he was no fan of cat litter, and still isn’t ‘til date.
Worried about obtaining a readily available, fresh source of protein for her beloved husky, Sheila turned to the local vet for advice who reminded her of just how beneficial salmon – and oily fish, in general – was for dogs. And it was readily available in the area too. Unsure of just how well York would take to a fishy meal, she purchased dry and wet dog salmon meals and fresh fish as well which she carefully deboned and grilled for his lunch. She needn’t have worried. York loved them all – and so did the cat, (who’d have guessed!).
The result was a relieved Sheila, and a lovely, well-fed puppy with an adorably glossy coat which grew into a well-adjusted, affectionate, pinto-patterned ball of energy. And that’s hardly any surprise since salmon and oily fish as a whole is packed with goodies for your pet.
There are its omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which will boost their immune system, keep their fur and skin in perfect condition, reduce inflammation and ensure all those cuts and scrapes heal in record time. What’s more, these nutrients mean a healthier brain and central nervous system overall, for a young puppy – making them especially beneficial for expectant canines as well as their cuddly offspring.
And to ensure your beloved furball can enjoy all these health-related perks, we’ve had our team of canine experts at Surf’n’Buy put together a list of the very best salmon products which will not only taste great for your canine charge, but will also provide them with the nutrients they need.
Top 5 Salmon Dog Foods
1. Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon
Placing your trust in a manufacturer which firmly believes in feeding your resident canine like a cherished family member means you’re unlikely to ever go wrong. Especially one which has earned rave reviews thanks to its dedication to using only quality ingredients and an uncanny ability to create palate-pleasing fare for your pet.
Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon is filled with the oily fish renowned for its excellent protein content which is essential for enabling your canine to enjoy healthy muscles. It also contains sweet potatoes – a healthier option compared to potatoes – which are filled with vitamins A, C and B6, as well as calcium, iron, magnesium, and potassium. And there are peas too – an excellent source of fiber and protein and which also contain nutrients such as vitamins, A, B and K, as well as potassium and zinc.
And that’s far from being all there is to this highly nutritious offering either. Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon also comes with the manufacturer’s exclusive LifeSource Bits, a unique blend of perfectly balanced antioxidants, minerals and vitamins created by specialist veterinarians and animal nutritionists to boost your pet’s immune system and provide a healthy oxidative balance.
It’s totally free of any grains whatsoever – corn and wheat included, and is free from soy and from any artificial additives too. Which means your furball will be able to enjoy a tasty, nutrient-rich meal without your having to worry about any unpleasant side effects.
- A grain-free offering: Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon is free of any grains such as wheat or corn and is also free of soy or any other artificial additives.
- An exclusive, nutritive formula: Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon contains the manufacturer’s exclusive Blue LifeSource Bits, a blend which contains a special selection of antioxidants, minerals and vitamins based on the advice of animal nutritional experts and specialist vets.
- A delectable healthy option: This salmon dog food contains high quality oily fish, sweet potatoes and peas. As a result, it’s perfectly suitable for meeting your pet’s nutritional needs and will keep their muscles, immune system, skin and coat in excellent condition.
- May cause an upset tummy in pets: A few customers who purchased Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon noted their pets suffered from an upset stomach after being served its contents.
- May cause skin reactions in pets: A few customers who purchased Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon complained about their pets suffering from skin reactions once they had eaten it.
Like all other products offered by popular pet nutrition brand Blue Buffalo, Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon has proven to be a hit with dog owners everywhere. And it’s pretty easy to see why. Filled with salmon, a delightful oily fish which is safe and enjoyable for dogs, as well as peas and sweet potatoes which are also highly nutritious, it’s an excellent source of vitamins and nutrients.
It’s also an important source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which will keep your pet’s skin and coat smooth while maintaining the health of their immune system and ensuring their muscles remain in excellent condition. There is also the manufacturer’s exclusive Blue LifeSource Bits, a nutrient packed formula created with the input of experts in animal healthcare and nutrition. Thanks to all the goodness this dry dog salmon offering contains, you will be able to look forward to your pet enjoying healthier bones and teeth as well as the energy they need to live life to the fullest.
2. Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna
How often do you come across a product which will not only smell great, please your pets’ palates, but will also visibly make their coats appear especially shiny? And that’s just the beginning of the list of good things you can expect from Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna. The product which promises to fully showcase your affection for your pet contains no less than 30% protein which will keep your pet’s muscles in excellent condition. It also comes with glucosamine which is absolutely essential for healthy joints too.
And it’s not just packed with nutrients, but also comes with healthy ingredients bound to please your canine’s taste buds. These include two kinds of fish (salmon and tuna), beef fat and chicken meal. The proof of just how tasty it is can be found in countless rave reviews which even have fussy eaters clearing their bowls and their feline housemates giving into temptation to try it out as well. Just as impressive are reports of pets with dry skin and coats enjoying supple skin and fur and excellent health as well. If you’d love to show your pet just how much they mean to you every day, Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna might be just what you need to provide them with proof of your affection.
- Excellent for your pet’s skin and coat: Customers who purchased Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna noted that their pets had a silkier coat and smoother skin.
- An ideal choice for fussy eaters: Customers who purchased Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna also noted that pets which were fussy eaters would clear their bowls at mealtimes.
- A nutrient-rich option: Packed with salmon, tuna, glucosamine and nutrients, this offering will encourage the development of healthy muscles and joints in your pet, enhancing their quality of life, as a result.
- May cause a slight stomach upset in dogs: Incidences of pets suffering mild stomach trouble after being fed with Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna were noted.
- Problems with quality observed: Complaints about the quality of Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna were observed.
With 30% protein, as well as omega 3 and 6 fatty acids contained in the salmon and tuna it’s been made from, Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna can be relied on to keep your pet’s muscles, skin and fur in excellent condition. And because it also contains glucosamine, you will also be able to look forward to your pet enjoying healthier joints as well.
This offering packed with essential vitamins and minerals has also been specially manufactured to please your pet’s tastebuds. As a result, the task of keeping them healthy will be a lot more easier than usual since its delectable flavor will tempt even fussy eaters to finish their meals. However, perhaps the quality of the product as well as the rave reviews it’s enjoyed should come as no surprise since it’s been brought to us courtesy of a brand renowned for getting it right when it comes to pets. And from all indicators, this is one instance where Purina has done so once again.
3. CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon
The next item on our list is brought to us courtesy of a manufacturer which believes pet food shouldn’t be complicated and relies on simple, wholesome recipes to provide your pet with the nutrients they need. With each of their offerings made from an average of 7 – 10 ingredients, they can be relied upon to provide your beloved furball with everything they need and none of what they don’t.
CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon comes filled with the world’s most loved oily fish, sweet potatoes and peas. Rich in fiber, omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals, it’s ideal for providing your pet with all they need for a healthy gut, a robust immune system and lean muscles. What’s more, they’ll also be able to look forward to enjoying supple skin and smoother fur.
And because the manufacturer has also taken the precaution to add probiotics to their formula, it’s also easy to digest. The CANIDAE Corporation has also ensured that this product is free from corn, wheat and soy, and is especially suitable for all canines regardless of their ages – including those with sensitive tummies. All these qualities mean CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon is an excellent choice for providing your pet with the nutrition they require on a daily basis.
- A flavor filled, digestible option: Thanks to the presence of probiotics, CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon won’t just taste good, but will also be easy for your pet to digest, which is an added plus.
- A nutritious choice for your pet: CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon is filled with salmon, salmon meal, sweet potatoes and peas. As a result, it’s an excellent source of complex carbohydrates, glucosamine, protein, minerals and vitamins which will provide your pet with healthy, lean muscles, healthy joints, as well as loads of energy.
- Ideal for dogs with sensitive stomachs: Thanks to the inclusion of carefully monitored ingredients and the exclusion of products such as wheat, corn and soy, this pet food option is ideal for pets which have sensitive stomachs.
- Issues with quality noted: A few clients who purchased CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon noted a difference in quality compared to what they were previously used to.
- May cause stomach trouble in pets: Complaints from clients whose pets suffered a stomach upset after ingesting CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon were noted.
It’s simple, nutritious and even comes with probiotics for easier digestion. No wonder several customers have announced their satisfaction with its ability to live up to its promises where their pets are concerned. Especially since it’s not only filled with fiber and complex carbohydrates while also being rich in protein, but is also an excellent source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
And that means that CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon is ideal for enabling your pet to develop lean, healthy muscles, healthy skin and fur, while also providing them with loads of energy too. It’s also suitable for sensitive stomachs meaning your pet won’t have to miss out on all the goodness it has to offer if they’re affected by similar issues. The manufacturer’s dedication to producing fare of excellent quality can also be seen in the care they’ve taken to exclude ingredients such as soy, corn and wheat so that this is one product which contains everything your dog needs and none of what it doesn’t.
4. Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fish
“High quality food with flavors your pet will love”, is what this manufacturer, Crave promises to provide with this salmon-based product which also features ocean fish. The pet food specialist which also prides itself on its focus on providing your pet with the same protein rich fare their ancestors would have enjoyed in the wild, ensures all its products are prepared following set procedures using high quality protein.
As a result, you can be certain of Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fish being able to provide your pet with the nutrition they need to develop lean healthy muscle to live life to the fullest. And just like all meticulous manufacturers, it’s also taken the trouble to carefully exclude ingredients which won’t benefit your pet including artificial preservatives, artificial flavors and colors and plant based protein (corn, soy or wheat).
In light of the rave reviews provided by happy customers, citing an improvement in their pets’ coats and skin, appetite and health, it does look like the manufacturer is on to a winning formula. If you’d love to have your pet enjoy a tasty, protein rich offering which will keep them in excellent health on the inside and on the outside, Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fishmight just be the product you need.
- A protein rich product which will keep your pet in excellent health: Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fish contains 34% protein and is an ideal choice of pet food for keeping your pet’s muscles in excellent condition.
- Ideal for smoother skin and a healthier coat: Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fishis rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which are not only great for your pet’s skin and coat, but will also improve their immune system and digestive health as well.
- Free from soy, corn or wheat based proteins: Crave, the manufacturer of this product has carefully excluded these plant-based proteins which may cause hormonal and digestive issues.
- A decrease in quality: A few customers who purchased Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fish complained about a drop in the quality of subsequent purchases.
- Allergic reactions: Certain customers who purchased Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fish noted that their pets experienced itching afterwards.
With its dedication to providing your pet with a diet which is as close as possible to what their ancestors enjoyed in the wild, Crave has successfully created a product which is quite unlike any other. And thanks to its impressive protein content (34%) as well as vegetables such as chickpeas, peas and potatoes, your pet will also get to enjoy an option which is rich in fiber, vitamins and healthy fats. Which means you’ll be able to look forward to watching them thrive thanks to Crave Dry Dog Food with Salmon And Ocean Fish which has been made with no one else but your pet in mind.
5. Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon
Manufacturers which seem to leave no stone unturned in their quest to provide you with a product which stands out from among the rest belong in a class all their own. A glance at the very last option on our list shows that Taste of the Wild is deserving of that distinction. Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon comes with smoked fish for an improved flavor. This unique taste is further enhanced by a selection of vegetables and fruits which include sweet potatoes, peas, blueberries, raspberries and tomatoes.
Hence, it’s not only capable of providing your pet with the protein which is essential for strengthening their muscles, but is also an excellent source of vitamins, minerals and fiber. As a result, you will be able to expect your pet to be able to benefit from the presence of the complex carbohydrates and fiber which will keep them filled with energy all day long. And thanks to the presence of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, they will also enjoy supple skin and a healthy coat, as well as a healthy immune system too.
The presence of chelated minerals, prebiotics as well as probiotics will also enable your pet to digest their food perfectly so that they’re able to absorb the nutrients they need. And it’s grain free too, ensuring that every mouthful your pet takes is filled with nothing but nourishing food. All these awesome qualities make Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon an excellent choice for providing your pet with the nutrients they need.
- Improved absorption: Thanks to the presence of chelated minerals, prebiotics and probiotics, Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon is especially easy to absorb so that your pet will be able to fully benefit from its nutrients.
- An excellent source of complex carbohydrates and fiber: Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon contains sweet potatoes, peas as well as other fruits and vegetables.
- As a result, it will be capable of providing your pet with complex carbohydrates and fiber which will not only keep them in excellent health but will also provide the energy they need.
- A highly nutritious flavorful option: Thanks to its unique flavor from the smoked salmon, this is one product which your pet will find delectable. What’s more, this grain-free offering also contains blueberries, raspberries and tomatoes in addition to also containing peas, sweet potatoes and vitamin supplements. Hence, you can be certain that this is a product capable of meeting your pet’s nutritional needs.
- May cause stomach upset: Complaints about pets suffering from an upset stomach after being served Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon, were noted.
- May cause itchy skin and fur: In addition to complaints about stomach upset in pets, certain customers also noted that their pets experienced itching and even fur loss after eating Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon.
Taste Of The Wild Dog Food with Real Smoked Salmon is a product which seems to tick every box which matters. It’s not only filled with smoked salmon, for improved flavor, but also contains highly nutritious ingredients such as sweet potatoes, peas, tomatoes, raspberries and blueberries. And in addition to the nutritional supplements which have also been added to it, its manufacturer has gone the extra mile to also ensure it contains chelated minerals, prebiotics and probiotics to make it easy to digest and absorb, for your pet.
The manufacturer of the product has also ensured it’s not only free from grains but is also free from eggs to make it suitable for pets which suffer from an allergy to these foods. With all these impressive qualities, it’s hardly any surprise that thousands of satisfied customers have announced their delight with it. And you too can watch your pet experience all its tasty goodness and observe the marked improvement in their energy levels and appearance.
What are the Benefits of the Salmon Dog Food?
Salmon: General Benefits
Fish is one of the healthiest food items you can feed your pet due to being:
- An excellent source of protein.
- Easy to digest.
- Free of the risk of protein overload (when fed in the right quantities).
- A suitable choice for keeping your furball well fed and happy while also ensuring they don’t pile on the pounds.
Fish also comes without the relatively high risk of infection which is a key drawback where shellfish is concerned. What’s more, it’s often much more readily available making it a preferable option to the latter. Feeding your resident canine salmon will mean they’ll be able to benefit from all these advantages.
Salmon: Specific Benefits
Thanks to its status as one of the best examples of healthy, oily fish, salmon is an excellent source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which your pet will rely on at every stage of their life. Benefits specifically provided by these nutrients include:
- Healthy brain development: When dogs are just tiny canine fetuses, these fatty acids play a key role in developing their brains and nervous systems. And once they emerge, tiny adorable furballs, they will continue to play the same role too.
- An improved immune system: These nutrients are also responsible for enabling your pet to resist certain ailments lying in wait for the right moment to pounce.
- Reduced inflammation: While especially useful throughout your pet’s life, this quality simply becomes a lifesaver when they get older. This is due to the fact that aging dogs are quite frequently plagued with swollen, inflamed joints.
Hence ensuring that omega 3 and 6 fatty acids are a part of their diet will enable them to experience relief from the pain which comes with such age-related conditions.
Pure Salmon Dog Food vs Mixed
The issue of whether to solely feed canines meat-based fare, or add vegetables and fruit to the mix is one of the most hotly debated. Pet food manufacturers provide offerings which belong to either category. But which is the better option for your furball? Below we examine the pros and cons of either choice.
Pure Salmon Dog Food
- A greater proportion of fish
- Higher quantities of protein
- Higher quantities of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
Minute quantities of fiber
Mixed Salmon Dog Food
- Higher fiber content (due to the presence of vegetables such as chickpeas, peas, sweet potatoes, etc.)
- Higher antioxidant content (due to the presence of fruits and vegetables such as blueberries, tomatoes, etc.)
- A more varied selection of nutrients
- A slightly lower protein content
Important Points Worth Noting
Vegetables and fruits are an important source of fiber, antioxidants as well as minerals and vitamins. Hence incorporating them into your pet’s diet is often a great idea. That said, it’s necessary to take your pet’s breed into account, hence seeking the advice of a vet when deciding on the best kind of food to feed your pet is an excellent idea.
Which Ingredients to Look for and Which to Avoid?
Knowing what should come with your dog food and what shouldn’t is an all important aspect when you’re selecting options for your beloved pet. And below, we examine some of those all important ingredients which should ensure a product makes the cut or remains on the supermarket shelf.
- Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids: They seem to be everywhere you look and are lauded by health experts as being an all essential requirement for the health of our pets. But why is it that these nutrients occupy such a key position on the nutritional scale?
Well, the first all important fact about these nutrients is that they can’t be produced by your pet. As a result, the only means of obtaining them is from supplements or food items. Ensuring they’re part of your pet’s diet is extremely important since the nerves, cells and muscles of your furball rely on them to function normally.
- Vitamins: Another all important group of nutrients, they are often available in the food you provide your pet. However, it’s worth noting that they will require different amounts at different stages in their life.
Vitamins, A, B, C, E and K are particularly recommended by experts. Vitamins A and E happen to come with especially powerful antioxidant properties and are included in products by manufacturers of high quality dog food. Along with vitamin C, E is also an excellent natural preservative in pet food.
- Salmon oil: Sourced from the world’s favorite oily fish, salmon oil is rich in omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. It is also known to contain those of the long chain variety including DPA (docosapentaenoic acid) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) which are renowned for their anti-inflammatory properties.
Best Avoided Ingredients
- Artificial sweeteners: Xylitol and sorbitol are some of the most common offenders which belong to this category. Both of them will cause a loss of energy in your pet leaving them exhausted while xylitol is also known to cause vomiting.
- Corn syrup: Another ingredient which ought to set off warning bells, corn syrup is frequently added to appeal to your pet’s sweet tooth. However, its presence can lead them down the slippery slope to ill health due to obesity-related issues.
- Food dyes: Often added to make food appear especially tempting, the presence of these ingredients is a huge red flag. Food dyes are known to cause cancer, damage to organs and even hyperactivity.
- Propylene glycol: A chemical which also makes an appearance in anti-freeze, propylene glycol is added to pet food to combat moisture and bacteria. However, it can also affect your pet’s ability to digest their food which could in turn result in intestinal blockage and injury.
Accessories make the world go round, especially if you happen to care for a delightful furball. Here are a few awesome options which will make meal times especially magical for your canine friend.
IRIS USA Elevated Feeder with Airtight Storage
Make feeding times a breeze for your pet while also improving their digestion with this elevated feeder which will also keep mites and other pests at bay.
IRIS USA Airtight Pet Food Storage Container Combo
Make your pet’s favorite foods and treats last as long as they’re meant to with this airtight container which has been specially designed to keep its contents safe from moisture and mites.
RYPET Pet Food Scoop
Measure your pet’s portions with these charming brightly colored scoops that will make you feel as though you’re channeling your inner chef.
Salmon Oil for Dogs
Keep your pet’s skin supple and their coat glossy with this excellent source of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which will also boost their immune system too.
PETCEE Dog Bowl Stand
An ideal option for dogs with joint issues, this easy to clean stand which also comes with gleaming stainless steel bowls, will reintroduce the pleasure of meal times for your pet.
Pet Deluxe Dog Bowls
Make meal times a lot more tidier – but no less enjoyable – for your furball with these deluxe stainless steel bowls and silicone stand which are also dishwasher safe.
Fruitables Whole Jerky Alaskan Salmon Dog Treats
Gluten and grain-free and absolutely delicious too, this jerky made from pure salmon will provide your pet with special flavorsome moments throughout the day.
Wellness CORE Wet Canned Dog Food with Whitefish, Salmon & Herring
Nutrient packed and grain-free, this succulent option which comes with tasty oily fish will please your pet’s palate while keeping its immune system and fur in excellent condition.
Being able to provide your canine charge with nutritious, delicious fare has never been easier. And salmon is one of the very best ways of getting it right. It’s not only delightful to their palate and low in calories, but also comes with an awesome range of health benefits too. The products we have reviewed happen to be some of the highest rated options available but as always we at Surf’n’Buy have our very own overwhelming favorites which we’re only too glad to reveal to you right here:
- Blue Buffalo Dog Food with Real Salmon: An initial glance at the manufacturer’s motto – feeding pets like a cherished family member – was sufficient proof that we could only expect good things from their salmon and sweet potato offering. And we were right. There were the high quality nutritious ingredients which are the hallmark of pet food provided by top tier brands. But the icing on the cake for us was its Blue LifeSource Bits which quite simply set this product apart from the rest with its nutrient-packed appeal.
- Purina ONE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon & Tuna: There’s just something especially appealing about products which have what it takes to overcome the objections of fussy eaters. Especially since it shows a rather special dedication on the manufacturer’s part to not just providing nutritious fare, but to also making sure it tastes good. And that means you’ll be able to keep your pet feeling and looking amazing, while ensuring they get to enjoy themselves at the same time. But perhaps the impressive features of this product come as no surprise since its manufacturer, Purina is a leading producer of healthy, delicious high quality fare for pets.
- CANIDAE Dry Dog Food with Real Salmon: Simple is best according to the manufacturer of our third most favorite product. And in this case, we actually agree. Especially since it’s simplicity of the right kind and you can be certain that it will come with all your pet needs and none of what they don’t. The fact that the product contains probiotics to aid digestion too, is also an added plus. Especially since your pet will be able to get the most out of their food as a result. And since it’s grain free, without any soy, wheat or corn, it’s also a superb option for pets which suffer from allergies to these food substances.
Who knew that salmon dog food came with so many amazing qualities? We must admit to being rather pleasantly surprised ourselves. And now you’re aware of all the world’s favorite fish has to offer, you can go right ahead and purchase your very favorite option for your beloved pet and watch them enjoy all the good things that come with a fantastic diet, including an excellent quality of life.
- Can Dogs Eat Salmon?, American Kennel Club
- Pros and Cons of Grains in Dog Food, Best Pets Vet
- Pros and Cons of Grain Free Dog Food, Pets Central
- Is Fish Good For Dogs?, K9Magazine
- Pet Food: The Good, the Bad, and the Healthy, PetSafe
- Does Your Dog Need Vegetables?, PetsWebMD
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids for Dogs, Purina
- The Benefits of Salmon Oil for Dogs, Redbarn
- Fatty Acid Supplements, VCA Hospitals