When I asked my god daughter Eileen what she wanted for her birthday, the adorable eight-year old promptly responded, “Those cute little guitars that sound nice.” Being a firm believer in erring on the side of caution (the result of having witnessed many among my close circle of friends utterly miss the mark at birthdays of little family members) I handed her my smart phone and asked her to show me the exact instrument she had her heart set on.
“That one”, the tech savvy angel said matter-of-factly, handing me back my phone in what seemed like no time at all. And there I found myself face to face with a Kala soprano ukulele on the manufacturer’s website. I got to spend endless afternoons of babysitting listening to the maestro in the making practicing hard at her ukulele (every circle of friends has a de-facto babysitter – something to do with being a connoisseur of baked goods, candy and cartoons).
I also received a special invite to watch Eileen give her first performance at school with her mom, my cousin, Marie. I was so proud of her as I watched her play one hit tune after the other. And at the end, I presented her with a specially ordered chocolate ukulele from her favorite confectioner.
Eileen’s now a teenager. And her musical skills have since expanded to include the bass and rhythm guitars which she plays like a pro. And because I and her mom have since been inspired to take up where we left off with the cello in high school, it means there are even more chocolates to share. Which adds an especially sweet note to it all.
The right soprano ukulele can ensure you get to experience a similar touch of delight too. And it doesn’t matter whether you happen to be a fan of candy or not. Especially since nothing beats that feeling of strumming out one perfect tune after another.
And here at Surf’n’Buy, we’ve gone through several of them and have carefully selected the best which our team of musical experts can vouch for, having gotten to strum on them personally. We’ve also provided helpful titbits on questions you might have about soprano ukuleles too. All so you can choose the instrument which is best for you. And experience endless moments of magical melodies.
Top 3 Soprano Ukuleles
1. Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
At a first glance, it seems like a work of art. But that’s because it actually is with its swirling detail which has been laser-etched into a dark mahogany background. A closer look reveals there’s a meaning to the swirl which is actually a collection of words in several languages which all mean one word: peace.
And that is what the manufacturer of the Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele hopes you will be able to experience and enjoy thanks to the rich melodies of an instrument which has been made using a variety of wood which is renowned for its ability to bestow a special quality of sound on ukuleles made with it.
And you will since the one thing this tone wood does ensure is a delightfully rich sound in addition to that beautiful dark hue. The soprano ukulele also features a walnut fret board as well as pearl dot inlays and has been designed for right handed players. And just like the best products often do, it also comes with a special set of extras all wrapped up in the Austin Bazaar bundle to ensure you’re able to get playing right away.
There’s a gig bag to protect your instrument from those little bumps and scrapes and dust as well. It also features straps so you can wear it conveniently backpack-style and even has an inner pouch for any accessories you need to have with you. There’s also a handy clip on tuner which is ideal for tuning your ukulele wherever you are, and a special cloth with which you can wipe your instrument once you’re done playing. If you’d love an instrument which will not only look great but sound great too, the Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele might just be worth adding to your collection.
- An instrument with a rich, mellow sound: The Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele has been manufactured using one of the best tone woods available. As a result, its tone is rich and warm and will imbue your music with a special melodious sound.
- An esthetically pleasing instrument: With its swirling laser-etched ‘Peace’ motif against a dark, smooth mahogany background, the Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele ticks all the right boxes in terms of style and esthetics making it an instrument you’ll feel proud of having in your collection.
- Helpful extras: When you purchase this soprano ukulele, you’ll also get to receive a free gig bag which comes with space for accessories and straps for the added convenience of carrying it. You will also receive a tuner so you can make sure it sounds right all the time. And to ensure you’re able to keep it dust-free, the manufacturer has also added a cloth as well.
- May be unsuitable for left handed players: The Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele has been designed specifically for right handed players and may be unsuitable for you if you prefer to play with your left hand.
- May require frequent tuning: The Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele may require tuning regularly in order to provide an optimal playing experience.
The Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele is an instrument which comes with its own unique, stylish appeal. Brought to you in a rich dark hue, the ukulele also features a laser-etched motif which further enhances it esthetically. But it’s more than a pretty instrument too and will also respond when played with a sound which is surprisingly full and rich for a soprano ukulele.
And there are those extras too which will ensure you’re able to get the most out of it by keeping it pristine and in optimal condition. The gig bag which will protect it from dust and random bumps and scrapes actually comes with a section in which you will be able to store your accessories. It also features back straps so you can carry your instrument conveniently. The set of extras also includes a tuner which can prove especially handy with a new instrument since they have to be tuned frequently. And to ensure you’re able to keep your soprano ukulele pristine, there’s also a cloth to wipe it with before putting it away. All these features show that this is one instrument which ticks all the right boxes, which makes it a worthy purchase.
2. Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit
The next item on our list has been brought to you courtesy of a manufacturer which has a string of accolades to its name. Such as being the first choice not just for fans of ukuleles everywhere and even educational institutions, but also among some of the very best players of the instrument on the globe. And a glance at the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit shows why its status as a firm favorite is well deserved.
Created from mahogany, one of the best tone woods when done right, this ukulele also comes with the renowned Italian Aquila strings, quality open gear tuners, and a GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle. It also scores pretty high in terms of esthetics as well with its even brown hue whose appeal is further enhanced by an enchanting Polynesian Shark Teeth laser-etched rosette.
And to ensure you’re able to start playing right away, Kala has provided a handbook with tips and pointers on all you need to know about your instrument. But the icing on the cake is the free lessons and dedicated tuning app which will ensure you get to discover your inner musician in the shortest possible time. And there’s even a Kala logo tote bag with which to protect your ukulele when you have to travel with it. If you’ve been searching for an instrument which is synonymous with excellent quality with a few beneficial extras thrown in, the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit might be just what you need.
- An option of excellent quality: From its use of mahogany as a tone wood, its Aquila strings, to its quality open gear tuners, and a GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle, the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit is an example of an instrument which is capable of providing an optimal experience as a result of being made of excellent quality.
- A set of helpful extras: Like all the best products made with the customer in mind, the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit comes with a number of extras. These include a Kala logo tote bag, a handbook with tips and pointers and even free lessons on the manufacturer’s website.
- A stylish offering: Thanks to its even brown hue, this soprano ukulele possesses the classic stylish allure of a high quality instrument. This esthetic quality is further enhanced by its Polynesian Shark Teeth laser-etched rosette which adds its own unique appeal.
- A dedicated app: The manufacturer has also provided an app which includes lessons, a tuner, as well as songs you can play along to. It is compatible with Android and iOS devices.
- Issues with tuning app noted: Clients who purchased the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit noted its tuning app was not always accurate.
- Concerns about durability noted: Clients who purchased the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit complained about certain components breaking off shortly after it had been delivered to them.
At a first glance, the first thing you notice is a classically styled instrument with a simple, yet sophisticated appeal which is further accentuated by the presence of a Polynesian Shark Teeth laser-etched rosette. There’s also the fact that it’s been made from mahogany which means you’ll be able to look forward to the full, warm sound associated with ukuleles manufactured using this particular tonewood. And that’s far from being all there is to the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit. The instrument manufactured by the highly popular brand also features Aquila strings as well as quality open gear tuners, and even comes with a GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle.
What’s more, purchasing the soprano ukulele will also mean you get to receive your very own Kala logo tote bag in which to carry it about. And to ensure your first experience of the instrument proceeds as smoothly as possible, you’ll also receive a handbook as well as free lessons on the manufacturer’s website. With all these qualities, it’s pretty easy to understand why Kala is one of the most popular brands in the world and a firm favorite of ukulele experts and enthusiasts. And you too can get to experience all it has to offer thanks to this excellent instrument which is merely a few clicks away.
3. FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele
The quintessential classic instrument, the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele presents the perfect balance of simplicity and excellent quality which promises an unparalleled playing experience. There is the alluring reddish-brown of its body and the head, which stands out all the more thanks to the slightly darker fret board between them, and its silvery white tuning pegs which lend their own special appeal to the instrument’s overall appearance.
The soprano ukulele which is surprisingly rather light is capable of producing sounds of amazing quality, thanks to the skill of its manufacturer in getting the very best out of the mahogany tonewood used in its construction. But perhaps its quality comes as no surprise in light of the fact that its manufacturer, Kiwaya is one of the most renowned ukulele makers on the globe.
And given the price, which is actually cheaper compared to its usual offerings, the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele might be considered a wonderful bargain which will enable you to experience an instrument which embodies the manufacturer’s dedication to quality at a fraction of the usual cost. There are the extras too: a gig bag with straps for added convenience as well as a pitch pipe. With all these qualities, it’s clear that this is one soprano ukulele which has what it takes to make your notes especially enchanting and which has been built to last, making it an excellent bargain.
- A high quality instrument capable of producing excellent sound: In spite of feeling rather lightweight to the touch, the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele is capable of producing sound of excellent quality.
- A classic, simple design: The simple, classic design of the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele bestows it with an elegance which is enhanced by the contrast between the reddish-brown hue of its body and head and the darker coloring of the fret board.
- Helpful extras: When you purchase this soprano ukulele, you will also get to receive a free padded gig bag which also comes with handy straps, as well as a pitch pipe.
- Unsatisfactory profile: A few customers who purchased the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele stated that they were dissatisfied with its neck profile.
- Unusual weight: The FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele is significantly lighter than average and may require some getting used to for individuals unaccustomed to playing with it.
With its russet red coloring, light brown fret board and figure-8 design, the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele is the very image of elegant simplicity. It is also the perfect example of a product which has been skillfully manufactured using one of the best tone woods, mahogany. The result is a soprano ukulele which is lighter than average and capable of producing powerful, melodious notes.
These qualities are especially impressive in light of the fact that offerings from Kiwaya are typically more expensive making this instrument a bargain compared to its other products. The manufacturer’s attention to detail is also evident in the accessories it provides along with the soprano ukulele: the gig bag is actually padded to ensure an extra element of safety for the instrument and there are also straps, and a pitch pipe. All these qualities mean that this is one soprano ukulele which is capable of enabling you to discover music like never before in the company of one of the very best instruments available.
What is a Soprano Ukulele?
A soprano ukulele is the most common kind of ukulele available. The light, clear sound it produces is associated with the instrument and is considered to be the standard ukulele sound. It is the smallest in size of the four available categories and is usually about 21 inches long, compared to the concert, tenor and baritone ukuleles which are all longer. Soprano ukuleles also have frets (usually about 12 to 15) which are closer together compared to those of any other variety. They’re tuned just like concert and tenor ukuleles and are ideal for players with small hands or for children.
Is a Soprano Ukulele Good for Beginners?
Yes. Soprano ukuleles are considered to be an excellent choice for beginners. However, due to their size and their close fret spacing, they’re considered to be particularly suitable for children or individuals with smaller hands.
What are the Chords on a Soprano Ukulele?
A chord is a set of three or more notes played simultaneously. The main chords on a soprano ukulele are G major, C major, D major, and E minor. It is possible to play a number of hits once you’ve familiarized yourself with them.
Advantages and Disadvantages of a Soprano Ukulele
- Is usually cheaper compared to other ukuleles
- Produces a light and airy sound
- Is ideal for children and individuals with small hands
- A wide range of written ukulele music is suitable for it
- Is tuned just like concert and tenor ukuleles
- Is less resonant than concert or tenor ukuleles
- Strings are more prone to get out of tune
Things to Consider When Purchasing a Soprano Ukulele
The phrase, ‘You get what you pay for’ certainly holds true when it comes to ukuleles in general, and it’s no different for sopranos. Cheap instruments are likely to be of poor quality. They might even come with tuning problems which could make your notes sound all wrong even when played correctly – an occurrence which can be especially exasperating for any player, especially a beginner. Experts recommend going for those above $50 in price as doing so will ensure you’re able to obtain an instrument of good quality and get the most out of the experience.
Opting for a wooden ukulele means you’ll need to pay attention to the variety of wood used in its construction since it will influence the sound it produces.
Common types of wood frequently used to manufacture ukuleles include:
- Koa: Often considered especially exclusive, koa wood is native to Hawaii and is believed to bestow a special beauty and quality of sound on ukuleles it is used to manufacture. However, it’s worth noting that those made of this special variety tend to be rather pricey. On the other hand, acacia which is a bit more common is also capable of bestowing similar qualities as koa as well.
- Mahogany: A firm favorite of ukulele manufacturers, this variety of wood is known to provide instruments with warm, deep hues. Its excellent qualities extend beyond aesthetics as well since it’s also capable of providing ukuleles with rich tones when done right. As a result, high quality instruments manufactured using mahogany are considered to be an ideal option.
- Maple: Renowned for being especially durable, maple is a variety of wood widely used by guitar manufacturers. When used to make ukuleles, it provides them with a clear sound and a unique appearance thanks to its grain.
- Spruce: Unlike mahogany which is usually relied on by ukulele makers, spruce is the material of choice for guitar manufacturers. This variety of wood is known to bestow a light, sparkly sound on ukuleles making them ideal for fans of the sound.
- Guitar: The most common shape you’re likely to come across, they tend to provide a traditional or classical appeal to instruments.
- Pineapple: Rounder in shape, this form tends to provide a more tropical allure to ukuleles.
- Boat paddle: The rarest of the three, it is ideal if you intend to go for a more exclusive look.
Somewhere out there, there’s a soprano ukulele waiting just for you to bring amazing melodies to life with it. And thanks to our guide brought to you by our very own music enthusiasts at Surf’n’Buy, your search for the perfect instrument will progress a lot more smoothly. Especially since you’ll be able to make helpful comparisons with our favorites. Which of them turned out to be your favorite?
Here’s a brief recap of each of their special qualities: Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele – Its manufacturer seems to think it’s a work of art, a sentiment we share. After all, how often do you come across a cleverly executed instrument, using high quality mahogany, with enchanting decorative detail? Especially since it’s more than just a pretty design and actually means ‘peace’ in a plethora of languages? And that’s just the beginning of all the good things you’ll be able to expect from the Luna Guitars Maluhia (Peace) Mahogany Soprano Ukulele.
There’s its walnut fret board and pearl dot inlays. There’s also its Austin Bazaar bundle which contains a gig bag which comes with straps to make carrying it even more convenient. To ensure your instrument is capable of delivering perfect notes, the manufacturer has also included a clip tuner to the bundle. They’ve even added a cloth so you can wipe it down before putting it away. In light of all these qualities, it’s pretty clear that this is a soprano ukulele which has what it takes to make your experience worthwhile.
Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit – Any brand which is the preferred choice among fans and expert players certainly has what it takes to provide you with an instrument which ticks all the right boxes. And it was immediately clear to our team of music enthusiasts that the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit had been produced by a manufacturer in that category. A quick glance showed the quality which set it apart from the rest thanks to the presence of Aquila strings, quality open gear tuners, and a GraphTech NuBone nut and saddle.
And the fact that it also came with its own emblematic style was also an added plus especially since it was accentuated by the presence of a charming Polynesian Shark Teeth laser-etched rosette. We also felt that the free Kala logo tote bag for your soprano ukulele and the handbook provided so you’ll know all you need to about your instrument was a nice touch. And those free lessons provided on the manufacturer’s website? That was simply the icing on the cake. All these perks are a clear sign that the Kala Soprano Ukulele Starter Kit has what it takes to provide you with the experience you deserve.
FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele: Any instrument produced by a renowned brand was always going to live up to expectations. And so we weren’t in the least surprised when we discovered just how good the FAMOUS by KIWAYA FS-1G Soprano Ukulele was. That said we were certainly impressed. There was its no-frills design, featuring a simple figure-8 form in russet mahogany and a medium brown fret board as well as its large silver and white tuning pegs.
There were also its amazing sounds which were full and rich and a delight to listen to. Even its gig bag was different thanks to the extra padding and straps it came with, adding an extra layer of protection for your soprano ukulele and convenience when carrying it as well. And we especially liked the fact that it came with a pitch pipe too. And the fact you can get it at a lower price makes it an excellent bargain considering the price tag normally attached to the manufacturer’s offerings.
And now we finally arrive at the end of our brief guide on soprano ukuleles. We hope you enjoyed reading it as much as we loved writing it (especially since we got to indulge in loads of candy while listening to our very own maestros strum out a few hits). And we also wish you loads of joyous melodious moments brought to you by that instrument which is just right for you.