When the weather starts to get colder, working in warehouses and in colder construction sites can be difficult. The cold weather can make things dangerous when our hands start to freeze up and we can’t work with tools as well as we can in the warmer months. We begin to dread having to get up and out for work because the cold make it too uncomfortable to be productive. How can you fix that problem? A space heater specially designed for large rooms and outdoor areas. Keep your workplace warm and cozy this winter so you can work at your best all year round with one of the best space heaters for large rooms. These space heaters are specially designed to heat larger spaces and outdoor areas so that you wont be dreading work during the colder months.
Take a look at our list of five best space heaters for large room in 2020.
Top 5 Space Heaters for Large Room
1. Remington REM-140T-KFA-O
The Remington REM-140T-KFA-O is available with a capacity between 80,000 and 215,000 BTU so that you can purchase an option suitable for any construction site or outdoor space and be confident this space heater will do the job. The rugged steel body of this space heater makes it perfect for use on construction sites and in many other areas as it will be safe from falling debris, knocks and bumps. With a high output and thermostat controlled heating, you are in full control of just how hot the area gets without having to turn the machine on and off. The five-point safety system and air pressure fuel gauges monitor the oxygen levels in the room as well as the amount of fuel in the tank so that the space heater shuts down if either of these levels gets too low. This makes it suitable for use without constant monitoring. With a one year limited warranty, you are fully covered for any manufacturing errors.
- The incredibly high output and different BTUs available in the Remington REM-140T-KFA-O makes sure that you can heat any size of room or space without limitation.
- The strong, rugged steel body can take a few hits which makes this space heater ideal for construction sites and different kinds of work space.
- The thermostat puts you in full control over the temperature of the space so there is no need to monitor via a thermometer, or to keep turning the machine off and on as the temperature changes.
- With a large number of innovative safety features, this space heater is perfect for use in many different areas, as it will shut down when fuel or ventilation gets too low.
- The attached handles and wheels make moving this space heater incredibly easy so that you can heat different parts of the room as needed.
- This space heater can also run on kerosene in case you run out of propane, making it an incredibly convenient space heater for your site.
- This heater can also start from cold, which is useful when the weather is particularly cold.
- The Remington REM-140T-KFA-O weighs 56 pounds, which makes it quite heavy and difficult for weaker or smaller customers to move around.
- There is no carbon monoxide monitor so this will need to be purchased separately.
The Remington REM-140T-KFA-O is one of the best value space heaters for large rooms as it packs a huge punch at anywhere between 80,000 and 125,000 BTUs. With full control over the thermostat, you can decide just how warm you want the room to be without constant monitoring. Able to start from cold, you can use this space heater in even the coldest of months to ensure that you work place is warm and comfortable. The easy to maintain design and durable steel body need little maintenance, making this one of the most convenient space heaters on the market. If you are looking for a great quality, high performing space heater, the Remington REM-140T-KFA-O is a great option for you.
2. Mr. Heater F270800
The Mr. Heater F270800 can heat up to a huge 3,125 square feet so that you can heat a construction area of any size, and even use it outdoors. This space heater can even run up to 17 hours on a 100 pound propane tank so that you can keep your work place warm all day. The 360 design emits heat to the entire surrounding area, which makes it perfect for outdoor use and to radiate heat evenly around the room. The rugged and durable steel construction is built to last through any knocks and bumps, making it perfect for busy sites where there is falling debris. The folding handle and transport wheels make it easy to move this space heater wherever you need it, and the 6 pound weight makes it easy to move for even the smallest of users. The push button ignition makes the Mr. Heater F270800 easy to light so you an simply switch on and get started.
- With a huge maximum heating area, you can be confident that the Mr. Heater F270800 will do the job of filling the entire space with heat.
- The incredibly high running time allows you to use this space heater all day without running out of fuel.
- This space heater is built with a study exterior and convenient transport wheels and a folding handle so it is built to endure knocks and bumps and is easy to move around as and where you need it.
- The push button ignition means you won’t have to struggle to light this space heater.
- The 360 degree radius emits heat all around this space heater to fill any space with heat without losing any to the back of the heater.
- The lightweight design makes this space heater easy to move from A to B or transport it to different construction sites.
- Some customers have said that the Mr. Heater F270800 can sometimes switch off without warning, so you may need to monitor this to make sure the heater continues to heat the room.
- There is no thermometer or control over the heat level, so you cannot decide how warm you would like the room to be. This may need some monitoring and turning the heater off and on to maintain a comfortable temperature.
- The lightweight design makes this model less durable than others, as it can move easily.
The Mr. Heater F270800 is the best value model on this guide as it offers an incredible level of heat for even the largest of rooms to ensure that your work space is warm and comfortable. The sturdy yet lightweight exterior is built to endure falling debris and still light enough to move around when you need to. The attached wheels and foldable handle makes moving this heater so much easier. If you are looking for the best value space heater to fill a large room with heat and create a comfortable and effective working environment.
3. Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024
The Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024 is a powerful 10,000 watt infrared electric heater which offers an adjustable thermostat with a range from 40 to 100 degrees, giving you full control over the heat and temperature of the room. The built in fan and infrared technology ensures that heat circulates through the room to ensure an even temperature. With a clean and odor-free heating design, you won’t even notice this space heater is working apart from the warmth it provides. With a heavy duty steel frame and a safety bar on both the input and the output, this space heater is safe to use and is built to last through knocks and bumps on busy construction sites. The built in cart gives you heightened portability so that you can move the Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024 around a construction site and heat the areas you need to without having to touch the warm surface of the space heater.
- The infrared technology and high wattage makes this one of the most powerful electric heaters available so that you can heat even the largest of spaces.
- With an adjustable thermostat between 40 to 100 degrees, you can decide just how warm you want the room to get to make it the perfect temperature for you.
- The odor-free electric design makes sure that you won’t be bothered by a smell or a sound while you’re using the Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024.
- The fan keeps circulating the heat around the room to ensure a maintained temperature all day long.
- Without the need for propane or gas, you can simply plug in the space heater and use it all day.
- The heavy duty exterior is strong enough to handle bumps and debris, making it ideal for use in even the most hectic of construction sites.
- The Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024 weighs 69 pounds which can make it very difficult to move, especially for smaller customers.
- Due to the electric power, this space heater can be a little more expensive to run than other options, such as gas or propane.
Our best buy for space heaters for large rooms is the Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024. This space heater offers consistent and completely circulated heat around the room, no matter how big. Due to the electric fuel source, you don’t need to worry about running out of power. The strong exterior is specially designed for busy work spaces as it can take a few knocks and bumps without suffering any serious damage. The attached wheels and foldable handle make this space heater one of the most portable options out there so you can move the space heater around as and where you need it. Although it is one of the heavier models available on the market, the Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024 is one of the most convenient and portable space heaters out there. It won’t cut out for lack of fuel and its 360 design gives you surrounding heat from the space heater to keep the largest of rooms warm.
4. HeathRite HB30TL
If you are looking for a space heater more suited for at home use, the HeathRite HB30TL is an excellent option for your needs. The massive 30,000 BTU capability can heat large rooms whilst the thermostat control gives you the power to decide just how warm the room gets without having to go back and forth. The blue flame heat creates a natural circulation so that there are no hot spots and the room maintains an even temperature. With the push button, piezo spark ignition, there is no need for matches and batteries and you can even use this space heater during power outages. The 8 x 20 x 24 design is small and compact to ensure it will fit into almost any living area to keep you warm and comfortable in any weather. The HeathRite HB30TL is also factory tested to ensure high quality and safe operation.
- The push button ignition makes it easy to light this space heater for even the least tech savvy of users.
- With 30,000 BTUs you can be sure that the HeathRite HB30TL will heat any home space.
- The blue flame heat ensures a natural circulation to eradicate hot spots and keep the entire room warm and cozy.
- The thermostat control allows you to customize just how warm you would like the room to be without having to switch the space heater on and off.
- Factory tested to ensure quality and safety, you can be confident that this space heater will do the job.
- The HeathRite HB30TL weighs over 30 pounds which can make it difficult to move around by yourself, which can make it difficult, or at least less convenient to go from room to room.
- There is no built in air fan with this space heater to ensure that air is properly distributed. This can be bought as an accessory but this will add cost to the overall purchase.
- This space heater uses liquid propane rather than propane gas, which can be a little more expensive and quite heavy to supply.
If you are looking for a top quality home use space heater, the HeathRite HB30TL is an excellent option to give you full control over the temperature whilst still heating larger rooms. Simply press a button to turn it on and adjust the temperature the way you like it, no need for matches or complicated ignition. The blue flame heater will ensure a natural circulation so there are no hot spots and no need to sit closer to the heater to stay warm. Factory tested for quality and security, this space heater is designed to deliver the ebst results. The small and compact design will fit into any home and you can use this space heater during power outages to ensure that the temperature doesn’t drop during the colder months. Although a little heavier than standard space heater models, you won’t be sorry you purchased the HeathRite HB30TL when it’s heating up your home.
5. Mr. Heater F260560
Last but not least is the Mr. Heater F260560, one of the best space heaters on the market for large rooms. This space heater can power up to 80,000 BTUs per hour and can heat up to 2,000 square feet without a struggle. With easy access to the thermostat and AC terminals, maintenance will be a breeze. The built in fan ensures that heat is circulated properly and efficiently so there are no hot spots or cold sports. The powered exhaust also allows for vertical or horizontal venting so that you can decide how you would like your room to be heated. The spark ignition is easy to ignite and the self-diagnostic control module ensures an even and maintained temperature. The natural to liquid gas conversion kit included in your purchase allows you to decide just how you would like your space heater to be powered. With a huge three year warranty on parts and burners, you are fully covered with the Mr. Heater F260560.
- At a huge 80,000 BTUs per hour, you can heat up to 2,000 square feet of space without an issue.
- The spark ignition makes this heater incredibly easy to ignite.
- With a self-diagnostic control, this space heater is designed to provide an even and steady temperature.
- The built in fan ensures no hot spots for an even temperature throughout the room.
- With the included conversion kit, there is no need to decide if you want liquid or gas propane, you can decide which is cheapest at the time.
- With easy access to the thermostat and AC terminals, maintenance is made easy so there is no need to work with fiddly spaces.
- Capable of both horizonal and vertical heating, you can decide where this heater sits to provide you with the most flexibility for use.
- This is a space heater designed to be built into a wall or floor, so it cannot be moved from room to room in the same way that others in this guide are.
- The Mr. Heater F260560 weights almost 90 pounds which can make installation difficult for only one person and may require professional assistance.
- The outer shell of this space heater is not as durable as other options, so it may not be suitable for construction sites or busy areas.
- This heater is also rather loud in comparison with other options, which may be irritating in quieter areas or where you need to concentrate.
The final space heater in our best buy guide for 2020 is the Mr. Heater F260560. This heater offers a wide range of functionality and customization, allowing you to decide for vertical or horizontal heating as well as natural or liquid propane gas. With full control over the thermostat and a self-monitoring system, this heater ensures and even and stable temperature throughout rooms of up to a massive 2,000 square feet. The simple push button ignition is easy to light and with easy access to the thermostat, you can quickly decide just how warm you want the room to get. If you are looking for a top quality space heater for a large room, you can’t get much better than the Mr. Heater F260560.
Types of Large Room Heaters
There are three main kinds of space heaters which are ideal for large rooms: radiant, convection and combination. These space heaters offer a different level of heating and different features.
Radiant heaters are powered by electricity, fuel, or gas, and work by radiating heat outwards, usually in a 360 degree radius. Some of these models, such as the Mr. Heater F270800, may be infrared models. These models are great to put in the center of a room or social space to radiate heat evenly outwards and warm the entire space.
Convection heaters rely on the natural flow of air and the fact that hot air rises. They suck in cold air and heat it before it is blown around the room. This creates a circulation of hot air around the room and are much better at heating larger areas due to the flow of air.
Combination heaters are a combination of radiant and convection. They radiate the heat they produce but also use a fan to blow it around the room. Combination heaters are an excellent option for larger rooms, but may cause some hot spots near the heater which can be dangerous.
Size and Setup
There are two important aspects that you need to consider when buying a space heater for a large room and this is size and set up. These aspects will change depending on the area being heated and the person installing the space heater.
The larger the area you want to heat, generally the larger the space heater you will need. This allows the space heater to get heat around the entire area of the room. Smaller space heaters are good for large rooms but perhaps more suited to houses rather than sites, as there will be more insulation to keep the heat contained.
The larger the space heater, the more assembly and setup is generally required to get it going. This is fine for those who are used to a bit of construction but this may be difficult for someone buying a space heater for home use who has little experience. Larger space heaters are also more difficult to use, so we recommend that if you are a beginner to large space heaters that you ask for assistance from an experienced or professional user. This will ensure you get the best performance and the least hassle.
Portability and Mounting Options
Many of the smaller space heaters have the ability to either stand freely in a room or mount on a wall to provide heat from above. If you are looking for a portable space heater, you may not want to mount it, but many of these options will offer a wall mounting kit just in case. If you are looking for portability so that you can move the space heater from room to room, it is better to look for a smaller and lighter space heater. This will make it easy to carry the space heater around by yourself. For portability, you should also look for a space heater which holds the propane tank inside the body of the heater itself. This will save you having to move both the heater and the tank, then hook it all up again.
If you are looking for a wall mounting option, perfect for a garage or construction site, there are so many options available. Almost all space heaters will offer some kind of mounting functionality and will hold the propane tank within the body of the heater. However, if you are looking for a large propane consumption to ensure a long lasting heater, you may want to consider an extension to the gas line to make sure the propane reaches the pilot light.
Not all space heaters come with a thermostat to allow you to decide the level of heat which enters the room. This can make it difficult to maintain a level temperature and you may find yourself going back and forth to switch the heater on and off to ensure a level heat. This can be annoying for most users, so if you are looking to purchase a new space heater and want little maintenance, we recommend looking for a model with a thermostat.
However, if you happen to buy a space heater without a thermostat, it is possible to attach one as an accessory. This will allow you to track the heat of the room and change the temperature as and when you need to. They control the pressure of the propane which reaches the heater to reduce the heat. By controlling the heat in the room, the thermostat will help you to safe fuel and save a lot of time and effort trying to keep the room at a level temperature. Instead of you having to manually switch the space heater on and off to maintain a comfortable temperature or save money, the addition of a thermostat simply does the job for you.
Useful Features of Large Room Heaters
Like we said, we highly recommend a space heater with a thermostat or to purchase an additional accessory. These handy devices make your life easier as they control the temperature of the room without having to do anything manually. They will also save you money as there will be much less wasted propane from using the space heater at its highest setting constantly.
Push Button Ignition
If you are looking for a space heater that is easy to use, consider a push button ignition function. This will switch the space heater on in seconds so that you don’t need to be hunting for matches or trying to ignite the space heater using batteries. This is great for both home and professional use to save you time and energy.
Built In Fan
A built in fan is a great feature for a space heater, especially in larger rooms as they ensure that the heat is properly circulated around the room and minimizes hot spots. If you are looking for an even temperature, we recommend looking for a space heater with an in built fan or considering an additional fan to keep the hot air moving.
There are a number of important features which help to make space heaters safer for home and professional use. We will discuss these below.
Energy Consumption & Costs
Depending on whether you use an electric space heater or a propane space heater, the energy consumption and cost calculations will differ.
Electric Space Heaters
If you are using electric powered space heaters, the wattage of the space heater is essential in calculating the cost. Another essential component of this calculation is the cost of your electricity. If you use a 10,000 kilowatt space heater such as the Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024 for 8 hours a day and one unit of electricity costs you $0.15, this space heater will cost you $1.50 per hour, $12 per day and $360 per month. This may change depending on the space heater you own and the area in which you live. If you would like to calculate how much an electric space heater will cost you, here is a handy cost calculator you can use.
Propane Space Heaters
Again, the cost of propane heaters will change depending on where you live, as the local cost of propane may differ between states and cities. One gallon of propane contains around 91,333 BTUs, so if your propane space heaters goes through around 30,000 BTUs an hour, one gallon will last you for just over three hours. Another factor to consider in the cost calculation is how severe the cold will be that your space heater is trying to warm up. If the space heater needs to move the temperature from -10 degrees Fahrenheit, this will take more energy and be more expensive than if it were moving it from 30 degrees Fahrenheit. The average cost for a 1,500 square room, which would require 1.5 million BTUs per month, based on the average cost of propane at about $2.86 per gallon, would cost around $57 per month in a mild climate. A more severe climate may increase this cost.
The size of the room will change the size of the space heater you require. Particularly large rooms will need more BTUs than smaller rooms, and colder climates will also require more energy than milder climates. The chart below will give you a general overview of the BTUs needed per different room size. However, if you would like an in depth calculation of the BTUs your room requires, there is a useful calculator here.
|Area To Be Cooled (square feet)||Capacity Needed (BTUs per hour)|
|100 to 150||5,000|
|150 to 250||6,000|
|250 to 300||7,000|
|300 to 350||8,000|
|350 to 400||9,000|
|400 to 450||10,000|
|450 to 550||12,000|
|550 to 700||14,000|
|700 to 1,000||18,000|
|1,000 to 1,200||21,000|
|1,200 to 1,400||23,000|
|1,400 to 1,500||24,000|
|1,500 to 2,000||30,000|
|2,000 to 2,500||34,000|
When looking for a new space heater, one of the most important things to consider is safety. As many space heaters burn propane, safety has to come first to ensure that there are no accidents or injuries. The first thing you want to make sure is that the space heater has been tested for safety. All options on this guide have been factory tested and carry safety certification to ensure that they are of top quality and security.
The second consideration is what safety features have been built into the space heater itself. Some of the best features are things like automatic switch off functions. These functions will turn off the space heater when the pilot light goes out so the propane doesn’t continue to enter the room. Other switch off functions will turn the heater off in case of falls or low oxygen in the room so that there is not an influx of carbon monoxide. A cool touch exterior is another great safety feature, which will protect you if you need to move the space heater or happen to brush past it. Many of the space heaters in our guide have these options, because we here at Surf’n’Buy know how important safety is for you.
1. Mr. Heater Thermostat
The Mr. Heater Thermostat is compatible with almost all Mr Heater space heaters to control the level of heat it provides and track the temperature with an in-built thermometer. It is easily attached with a two wire system to make assembly easy as possible.
2. Mr. Heater Gas-Appliance Hook-Up Kit
The Mr. Heater Gas-Appliance Hook-Up Kit includes everything you need to attach a gas fuel source to any appliance. The flexible 18 inch line and 3 different couplings, as well as an on/off valve provide you with all you need to get started.
3. Mr. Heater 15-Feet Propane Appliance Hose Assembly
If you need an extension for your gas fuel source to your appliance, the Mr. Heater 15-Feet Propane Appliance Hose Assembly is an excellent option. The 15 foot, flexible rubber seals in the fuel and carries it as far as you need to get it to your appliance.
4. Gauge Master Gas Meter
If you want to monitor when you need to replace your propane tank, the Gauge Master Gas Meter is the perfect addition to your kit. With a universal fit, you can attach it to any appliance or fuel source and never run out of propane again.
5. Flame King YSN-301 30 Pound Propane Tank
Looking for a propane tank that will last? The Flame King YSN-301 30 Pound Propane Tank offers a massive 30 pound, high quality propane tank to keep your space heater running and keep you warm and comfortable. Available in anywhere from 1 pound to 100 pounds, Flame Kind has a propane tank to fit your needs.
6. Propane Easy Cart Portable LP Tank Carrier
Propane tanks can be heavy to move around, so what better way to make this easier than with a tank carrier? The Propane Easy Cart Portable LP Tank Carrier has the ability to carry up to an 85 pound tank and the instant read fuel guage tells you just how much propane is left in your tank so you know when you need to refill.
7. ProCom Heating Wall Heater Blower
If your space heater doesn’t have an in-built blower or fan, there can be hot spots left in the room leaving an uneven temperature. To combat this, an attachable heater such as the ProCom Heating Wall Heater Blower is an excellent addition to your set up to make sure the room stays the same temperature throughout.
That just about concludes this building guide for the best space heaters for large rooms. There are so many great options out there, but none better than the Dr Infrared Heater DR-PS11024. Combining radiation and convection heat, this space heater is capable of heating any size of room for as long as you need it to. We here at Surf’n’Buy recommend it for professional use on construction sites or for camping trips to keep everyone warm and toasty. However, if you are looking for higher value and something you could use at home, the Remington REM-140T-KFA-O and the Mr. Heater F270800 are two excellent models which will offer everything you need to stay warm in the winter. When the weather gets cold, you want to make sure you have everything you need to stay warm and comfortable. We hope that we have helped you find a new space heater for your large space so you can get cozy this winter.