Wondering why a travel wheelchair might be the better option for you? You might be asking that the difference between a travel wheelchair and a lightweight wheelchair is. Well, let me tell you. Whether you’re planning a trip or simply want more access to the outdoors, you want a wheelchair that is going to support you and keep your security as a top priority. That’s the beauty of travel wheelchairs. They are specially designed for stability on uneven terrain and keep patient safety at the forefront of every design element.
Yet, with so many options out there, finding the right option for you and your needs might be a little tricky. Not to worry. Surf’n’Buy has your back. We have pulled together the top three options for travel wheelchairs currently on the market in 2020. It doesn’t matter if you’re looking for good value, or the best of the best. We have an option that will fit you and your needs perfectly, whether you’re looking for independence or increased safety.
Take a look at the three best travel wheelchair options and we assure you, there will be something there for you.
Top 3 Travel Wheelchairs
1. Forcemech Voyager R2: Ultra Portable Folding Power Wheelchair
The Forcemech Voyager R2- Ultra Portable Folding Power Wheelchair is specially designed for travel. With a folded witch of 13 inches, it is ultra-portable, weighs only 48 pounds and is fully airplane travel approved. The wheels don’t even need to be removed in order to fold the chair down. There is no need for self-propulsion with this electric powered wheelchair with a distance of up to 16 miles and a speed of 4 miles per hour when fully charged, making it ideal for individuals without caregivers who still want to travel.
The durable aluminum alloy frame and high weight capacity of up to 265 pounds makes this chair durable and suitable enough for a wide range of users, tall and small. Rotating arms make accessing the chair quick and painless, whilst also making use of tables and chairs simple. Simply flip back the arms and the chair will fit snugly underneath.
- The chair folds down very quickly and easily without requiring any fiddly knobs or handles.
- There are only two pieces which separate to travel the wheelchair, the chair and the cushions, instead of the seat, chassis and back wheels. This makes it much quicker to fold and load the chair.
- The battery life is very high, so it will last when out and about for long periods of time, and you can go longer without needing to charge it.
- Rotating arms make it quick and simple to use tables and desks without the need for additional adaptations.
- The Forcemech Voyager R2- Ultra Portable Folding Power Wheelchair is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use due to the durable wheels and motorized movement.
- The seat height is quite low and this can make transfers from the chair to a car seat very difficult.
- The plug for the batteries can come loose easily and this can stop the chair while on the go. This has the potential to leave the user stranded if alone, so make sure to check it is connected securely before every use.
- The folding mechanism doesn’t lock, so the chair can sometimes unfold when trying to lift it and this can be cumbersome.
- The footrests do not move away and this can make getting in and out of the chair quite challenging without help.
- The chair takes a while to get up to speed from a stopping positions, which makes crossing streets and crowded spaces difficult to navigate.
If you are looking for a wheelchair specially designed for all means of travel, the Forcemech Voyager R2- Ultra Portable Folding Power Wheelchair is the wheelchair for you. The battery-powered movement means that you won’t get tired with self-propulsion and carers won’t need to manage with heavy chairs. The quick fold down position collapses this chair into a much smaller size than most other models. With only two elements to travel with, you won’t have to worry about carrying large back wheels. Every element of this chair is designed for movability and comfort, making it the best choice travel wheelchair on the market.
2. Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes
Made from a durable aluminum frame, Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes is half the weight of a standard wheelchair, at only 23.5 pounds, yet has an incredibly high supporting weight limits of up to 300 pounds. This makes is the best value travel wheelchair on the market in 2020.
Loop lock handbrakes ensure the safety of the user, perfect for stationary periods or emergency stops. The oversized back wheels make for much better performance on outdoor surfaces and the wheelchair comes with a seatbelt as standard, so it is ideal for uneven terrain as it keeps the patient securely in place.
Breathable nylon upholstery creased a seat with 16 inches of depth, making this wheelchair as comfortable and supportive as possible. This wheelchair collapses into a width of only 10 inches and the back folds down into the chair, creating one of the most compact available, perfect for storage and transport.
- The lightweight design and high weight limit makes this wheelchair perfect for all size of patient and caregivers of all strengths.
- Loop lock brakes and oversized wheels ensure the security and stability of the wheelchair because patient safety is the top priority.
- The breathability and support of the seat makes it comfortable whilst still being easy to clean.
- The small collapsible size of the Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes as well as the lightweight make this wheelchair ideal for travel. It is easy to fit into a car or into storage, so it is perfect for those on the go.
- The footrests have 4 different positions so that you can customize the level of support you receive. This makes it easy to reduce pressure and discomfort on the legs.
- The wheels of the Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes are not designed to allow for self-propulsion. This means that users of the chair need to have a helper present at all times when in the chair.
- There is no locking brake, only handbrakes, so the chair cannot be stabilized without the presence of a carer at all times and this can pose a safety risk to the patient.
- The folding position does not lock into place and this can allow the chair to unfold when being carried or lifted.
- The smaller front wheel means this chair is not as stable on curbs and bumps in the road, so these need to be taken slowly and with caution.
Looking for a chair that’s great value but still with a great design? Our best value travel wheelchair is the Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes. Its lightweight design and high stability ensure the maneuverability of the chair and the safety of the patient. The small size of the collapsed chair makes it perfect for cars trunks, storage and planes, so you can go anywhere with this wheelchair. This chair is designed with the patient in mind, created with a high weight limit, supportive seat and customizable leg supports, perfect for patients of all sizes and need.
3. Medline Transport Wheelchair with Lightweight Steel Frame
The lightest travel wheelchair on our list is the Medline Transport Wheelchair with Lightweight Steel Frame at only 23 pounds. This chair is highly supportive, able to carry weights of up to 300 pounds, making it the premium pick for travel wheelchairs on the market right now.
Swing away footrests allow for seamless transport in and out of the chair while locking brakes ensure the steadiness and security of the chair. Large 12-inch wheels are much steadier on uneven ground and the seat has an added seatbelt as standard. Combined, these elements safeguard the protection and stability of the patient.
Designed with comfort and usability in mind, the Medline Transport Wheelchair with Lightweight Steel Frame has a breathable nylon upholstery with added microbial protection in the seat, backrest and handles. This doesn’t just guarantee safety, but hygiene, also. Much easier to clean and keep sanitary, this wheelchair makes life easier for both patient and caregiver.
- Specially designed angled arms mean that you can sit closer to desks and tables without the need to flip back the arms entirely. This keeps the patient safe in the chair whilst allowing them to sit closer to different surfaces.
- Antimicrobial protection in different elements of the chair keep the chair sanitary and the patient protected from illnesses.
- The lightest of all chairs on this list, the Medline Transport Wheelchair with Lightweight Steel Frame has an extraordinarily high supported weight relative to the weight of the chair.
- The seat is almost 20 inches wide and this makes it ideal for users big and small.
- To fold down the chair, simply lift it in the middle and the back will fold into the seat of the chair. This ease of use makes this travel wheelchair perfect for travel and easy storage.
- Large back wheels, locking hand brakes and a seatbelt as standard set this chair to be ideal for indoor and outdoor use. It is much more capable of handling uneven ground and the patient will be secured the whole time.
- This chair is not designed to allow for self-propulsion and therefore can only be used with a caregiver present.
- Some users have reported that screws and parts can become loose easily. This needs constant monitoring to ensure the safety of the patient.
- There are no foot-press brakes on the back of the chair, making it difficult to keep the chair secure when stationary. A caregiver will need to be present at all times to reduce the risk to the patient.
- Although a lightweight option, smaller and weaker caregivers may still struggle to lift and move this wheelchair.
If you are looking for a chair that will aid in transporting a loved one, the Medline Transport Wheelchair with Lightweight Steel Frame is the premium pick for travel wheelchairs. Its lightweight design combined with its high weight limit and innovative safety features ensure the security and comfort of the patient at all times. Not only is this chair designed for physical safety, but the added antimicrobial support means that this chair is also much more sanitary for the user and caregiver. If you are looking for a top-quality travel wheelchair, you can’t get much better than this wheelchair.
Depending on what you’re looking for the options for travel wheelchairs can be endless, but Surf’n’Buy have created this guide specially to cater for the needs of all wheelchair users and to ensure usability for caregivers. For those who crave a little independence, the Forcemech Voyager R2- Ultra Portable Folding Power Wheelchair is the perfect option. The battery-powered movement and long-lasting battery reduce the need for the presence of a helper, so you can get out and about by yourself. This is ideal for younger wheelchair users who crave a little freedom.
For those who are looking for a travel wheelchair that will help them provide that little extra support to a loved one, the Medline Transport Wheelchair with Lightweight Steel Frame provides the best in terms of support and safety. Its innovative design makes it the premium pick for travel wheelchairs currently on the market. If you don’t want to break the bank with your travel wheelchair, the Medline Lightweight Transport Wheelchair with Handbrakes offers premium support for an unbeatable price. The high value of this chair combined with its specialist design makes it perfect for short-term and long-term use.
So, there you have it: the top three travel wheelchairs on the market for 2020. If you don’t want to let wheelchair use get in the way of you getting out and about, a travel wheelchair is the way to go.