If you love getting out on the open road but suffer with low mobility issue, you may feel as though your days of adventure are coming to an end. However, Surf’n’Buy has the solution for you. A wheelchair and scooter lift will help you get your mobility aid into almost any vehicle or up and down stairs so that you don’t sacrifice your freedom and can get back out on to the open road.
We have found three of the best mobility aid lifts to suit a range of needs and weights so that you are certain to find the right one for you.
Top 3 Wheelchair and Scooter Lifts
1. Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier
Designed for universal use, the Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier supports up to a 42” x 27” wheelbase so that you can transport almost any scooter or power chair. Compatible with classes II, III, or IV vehicle hitch receivers, you can use this wheelchair and scooter lift with almost any large vehicle to transport your wheelchair with ease. only 80 pounds, the Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier is one of the most lightweight wheelchair lifts to make moving the mobility aid much easier so there is no need to struggle with a heavy lift and a heavy chair.
The durable and stable construction is able to support a weight limit of up to 350 pounds, even the heaviest of powerchairs and scooters can quickly and easily be moved into the vehicle for transport. The wheelchair secures in place with self-tension retractors to make security quick and easy, then turn the key to raise the platform.
- The universal, large base makes the Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier suitable for almost any wheelchair or scooter to ensure you can get your mobility aid from A to B.
- Compatible with several classes of vehicle, you can be sure that this wheelchair and scooter lift will fit to your vehicle, or simply move the mobility aid upstairs.
- The durable design is stable enough to lift weights of up to 350 pounds, so can lift the heaviest of mobility aids, or simply lift the aid with the patient still using it.
- This lift weights 80 pounds, which is one of the lighter models on the market. This makes moving the lift to and from the vehicle or stairs much easier.
- Self-tension retractors keep the mobility aid in place when its moving to maintain a high level of safety when using the lift.
- With a simple turn key motor, there is no need for complicated controls with this mobility aid lift.
- Although one of the lighter options available, the Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier still cannot be moved by one person only, so using it may require some planning and preparation.
- There is no swing away option to make the platform easier to access, which can make it difficult if your chair is particularly large.
- This lift is powered by the car battery, which can make finding a power source difficult on stairs and can drain the battery if it is used often.
The universality of its compatibility makes it suitable for use with any mobility aid and with any vehicle whilst the self-tension retractors ensure that the chair or scooter stays put during use. The simple turn key motor means that you can quickly switch the lift on and off when using it and keep another hand free to help stabilize the wheelchair or scooter for some extra protection. If you are looking for a top value wheelchair and scooter lift, you can’t get much better value then the Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier.
2. MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier
With an incredible 500 pound distributed weight capacity, the MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier can move even the heaviest of mobility aids and wheelchairs with patients still in the seat. The extra wide carrier accommodates mobility aids of all sizes so you can be confident yours will fit onto the lift with ease. If you need a lift that can cope with the most, look no further. The lightweight aluminum makes for easy movement of the lift and corrosion resistance to make sure that this is a lift built to last.
Built in reflectors increase road safety in case of moving a mobility aid at night or on a busy street. The anchor points help you to secure the mobility aid to make sure it doesn’t move whilst being lifted, keeping everyone safe and secure. The ease of assembly means you can get started quickly, and the compatibility with most vehicles ensures that you can use this mobility aid lift with your scooter or electric wheelchair.
- The incredibly high weight limit and extra wide carrier bed ensures that this mobility aid lift will cope with the heaviest of scooters and wheelchairs, or can be used with the patient still in the chair.
- The anchor points allow you to secure the mobility aid whilst in movement so that it doesn’t pose a hazard to the patient or the lift operator.
- The high compatibility with most vehicles allows you to use this lift almost anywhere, including on stairs and with buses and trucks.
- The lightweight aluminum is designed to be rust free and makes sure that the MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier is built to last a lifetime.
- With quick and easy assembly, there is no need to spend much time getting started with this mobility aid lift.
- The bolts can be a little loose in the designed fixtures, so many customers have reported buying bigger bolts to ensure a higher level of security and safety.
- The construction instructions can be a little difficult to use as they are not very clear, which can hinder the first few set up processes until you get used to it.
- The MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier can wobble quite a lot during use which can be a safety concern, especially if the patient is still in the mobility aid.
- There is no locking function for the folding ramp, which can make carrying and transporting rather difficult.
For those who are looking for a mobility aid lift that will carry and support any size of scooter or electric wheelchair, you can’t get any better than the MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier. The massive 500 pound weight limit and extra wide support bed will give you what you need to transport heavy scooters and large electric wheelchairs. Designed to resist rust and last a lifetime, you can be sure that this mobility lift is one of the most durable and safe on the market. If you are looking for a wheelchair and scooter lift with premium value, you can’t get much better than the MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier.
3. Freedom Mobility CGM-350S Automatic Platform Carrier
The Freedom Mobility CGM-350S Automatic Platform Carrier offers a 350 pound weight limit to help you lift almost all wheelchairs and scooters into any vehicle. The positive lock-down system secures the scooter to any class III hitch receiver and the weight sensitive platform which automatically folds without a scooter on the platform to ensure convenient and compact storage when on the move and can be detached and reattached to many different vehicles.
The swing away option makes the platform easy to access with a wheelchair or scooter and is easy to install and adjust so that you can make sure it serves the purpose you need. The platform can also be adjusted to a three or four wheel scooter without the need for additional modifications. With a license plate mount included, you can be sure that your vehicle will still meet all the legal requirements.
- The high weight limit makes sure that this mobility aid lift will support almost any wheelchair or scooter.
- The swing away function makes accessing the lift much easier so that you can use the lift with ease.
- The positive locking system quickly attaches to a wide range of vehicles and can be removed and used on another vehicle if needed.
- The weight sensitive platform folds automatically when the lift is not in use to make it much more compact and convenient.
- The platform can adjust to any kind of scooter to make sure it is totally safe and secured.
- The license plate mount means you don’t have to adjust or remove the lift to make your license plate visible.
- The Freedom Mobility CGM-350S Automatic Platform Carrier is the heaviest option on this guide, which can make it difficult to move for one person.
- Tie downs are not included with your purchase which can be an extra purchase and may mean you can’t use this mobility aid lift right away.
- This mobility lift is not compatible with as many vehicles as other options on the market.
Last but not least is the winner of our best buy for wheelchair and scooter lifts, the Freedom Mobility CGM-350S Automatic Platform Carrier. This platform can cope with up to 350 pounds so that you can carry almost any wheelchair or mobility scooter wherever you need it. The innovative design features are easy to attach to your vehicle and can be moved to another if necessary. The automatic weight-sensitive platform will fold up when there is nothing on the lift so that it is compact and quick to use.
The swing away function makes it easy to access the lift so that there will be no struggling to use the chair, you can simply roll the mobility aid onto the platform and get moving. Although a little heavier than most, this is a robust lift that is built to last. If you are looking for a top quality mobility lift, the Freedom Mobility CGM-350S Automatic Platform Carrier is the best option out there.
Why Should You Get a Wheelchair/Scooter Lift?
When you’re in a wheelchair or needing a mobility scooter, it can sometimes feel as though you’ve lost some freedom. It can be difficult to get out in the car or go exploring because getting your mobility aid into the car can be difficult. That is where a mobility aid lift comes in. This clever machine will help you get your aid into a vehicle so that you can take it with you wherever you go and not let your disability stand in your way.
Manual vs. Electric Lifts
There are two kinds of mobility aid lifts, manual and electric. Each has their own pros and cons, so we’ve compared them so that you can get a better idea of what you might need.
Manual lifts don’t have to be plugged in and therefore don’t use energy to power the lift. However, they will need a lot of manual labor in order to get the lift moving, which can be difficult for smaller or older users.
Electric wheelchair lifts are usually a little heavier and require hooking up to a car battery or power mains, which may be an issue when you’re out and about as they can sometimes drain the battery. However, they are incredibly useful to make lifting a mobility aid without any manual effort. This makes them perfect for older or smaller users because there is very little effort involved.
Weight and Haul Capacity
Depending on the mobility aid you want to move, you will need a different capacity from your wheelchair lift. Make sure you now how heavy the wheelchair itself is and consider whether you will also be moving the wheelchair with the patient or user on board. Calculate the maximum weight you will be moving to ensure you get the right capacity mobility aid lift for your needs.
Surf’n’Buy know how important it is to secure your freedom, especially when you may suffer from low mobility. That is why the ability to get into a car with your aid is so important, as it opens the world back up for exploring. If you are looking for a high quality, high value mobility aid lift, the Silver Spring Electric Universal Lift and Carrier and the Freedom Mobility CGM-350S Automatic Platform Carrier offer many innovative features with a great amount of weight capacity. However, if you’re looking to carry a particularly heavy aid, the MaxxHaul Aluminum Cargo Carrier is the one for you.