If you are a long-term or permanent wheelchair user, you might be looking to customize your wheelchair to your own personal needs. However, it can be difficult to know where to start. One of the best accessories you can add to your wheelchair is a cushion and these can serve different purposes.
If you’re going to be sitting in your wheelchair for long periods of time, or you are an older user with less body fat for support, you will want to consider a foam or gel cushion to distribute your weight properly. This will limit your chances of pressures sores and wheelchair related aches and pains. Older or slimmer users may want to consider an insulating pillow to provide a little extra luxury in the winter months to keep you warm.
Whatever you’re looking for, Surf’n’Buy have the best options on the market when it comes to wheelchair cushions. We have an option for kinds of needs and requirements so no matter what kind of wheelchair cushion you’re looking for, we’re guaranteed to have an option for you.
Have a look through Surf’n’Buy’s best wheelchair cushion guide to get started on your hunt for the best wheelchair cushion for you.
Top 3 Wheelchair Cushions
1. Everlasting Pure Memory Foam Seat Cushion
The Everlasting Pure Memory Foam Seat Cushion is made form a gel infused and ventilated memory foam. The holes are strategically placed to allow optimal airflow to keep wheelchair users cool and comfortable. The heat responsive foam distributes weight carefully to prevent pressure sores and reduce pressure on the legs, hips and bottom, making long periods of use much more comfortable. The memory foam fits your form perfectly so that after a couple of uses you can slide into the most comfortable position for you.
The Everlasting Pure Memory Foam Seat Cushion is orthopedic doctor recommended for the treatment of acute or chronic pain from areas prone to high pressure. This cushion is proven to relieve sciatic nerve pain and Sciatica, arthritis, lower back, spine, hip, leg, coccyx and tailbone pain, as well as sores and piriformis. This cushion also reduces the risk of hemorrhoids and other issues posed by long periods of sitting.
Equipped with a non-slip rubber bottom and crafted to a standard size, this wheelchair cushion will fit most wheelchairs and is much less likely to slip than other cushions on the market. It can also be used for office and kitchen chairs, so you can maintain your comfort and support no matter where you are.
- The innovative heat responsive form responds to the cues your body provides to distribute weight evenly so that you receive optimal support.
- The breathable foam and fabric ensure that you won’t overheat in your chair. This is a perfect addition to the wheelchairs of long-term wheelchair users who may be sitting for long periods.
- Proven to reduce the pain and risk of many different problems, this wheelchair cushion is guaranteed to offer you optimal comfort.
- The non-slip bottom allows you freedom to move around without risk of slipping and sliding, so you can reach and bend without any concerns.
- The cushion does not have any Velcro or other method of attaching it to the wheelchair securely, so can sometimes slip on slicker wheelchair fabrics such as vinyl.
- During long periods of use for users over about 200 pounds, the foam can condense too much and this can add pressure to the bones of the user. To remedy this, allow a few minutes for the seat cushion to aerate and return to its original size before replacing it.
- This cushion can feel too large for smaller or shorter wheelchair users.
- The large size can also make the seat of the wheelchair feel much narrower and uncomfortable.
The Everlasting Pure Memory Foam Seat Cushion is a top quality, doctor recommended orthopedic cushion that offers users everything they need in terms of support and breathability. The innovative memory foam responds to the cues of your body so that you can sink in and get comfortable at first use. Proven to reduce the risk of many wheelchair related pressure pains, this wheelchair cushion is the best value for what it offers to the individual.
2. Vive Wheelchair Cushion
The Vive Wheelchair Cushion offers four levels of comfort and support. The liquid gel interior distributes weight evenly across the cushion to alleviate pressure and reduce the risk of pain and sores. The supportive gel foam ensures that the seat will not flatten during long-term use, making it ideal for daily use. The waterproof seal makes the cushion 100% leak proof and completely waterproof. The water resistant cover is soft to the touch and easy to remove and clean.
The waterproof nature of the cushion allows for easy cleaning so that you have the highest level of hygiene available in a wheelchair cushion. The Vive Wheelchair Cushion is designed to fit all standard sized wheelchairs so that you can be positive this cushion will slot right into place and provide you comfort all day. There are also three different sizes available so that you can guarantee the cushion will fit whatever sized wheelchair you have.
This wheelchair cushion is specially designed for heavy duty use, making it perfect for heavier wheelchair users without the worry of compacting and adding pressure to the legs and hips.
- The Vive Wheelchair Cushion is one of the most hygienic options available with two layers of waterproof material and a removeable cover which is entirely machine washable.
- With three different sizes to choose from, you are sure to find an option that suits your wheelchair perfectly.
- Designed for heavy duty use, this wheelchair cushion will support larger and taller wheelchair users just as well as it will smaller users.
- The slightly higher weight design has a thick cushion to ensure that you get the most inclusive support available to reduce pains, sores, and wheelchair related pressures and reduce the chance of slipping for fidgety patients.
- The extra thick seat of the cushion is perfect for elderly users who have very little fat on their legs and bottom. It is comfortable enough to relieve pressure and supportive enough to maintain a proper posture.
- The gel can sometimes build up between the legs and this can be uncomfortable for some users. To fix this, simply move around a little to redistribute the weight and the gel.
- There are no clips or Velcro to attach the Vive Wheelchair Cushion to the wheelchair securely. This can result in the cushion slipping and this can be a danger to the user if not monitored.
- The slightly thicker design of the cushion can raise the seat of the wheelchair and this may make it difficult for smaller patients to reach footrests.
If you are looking for more of a value from your wheelchair cushion, the Vive Wheelchair Cushion is a great option. The slightly heavier design reduces slips whilst the waterproof design and removeable seat cover enhances the hygiene of the overall product. This is a great option to offer all the support you need without breaking the bank and with three different sizes to choose from, you are sure to find the right size for you and your wheelchair.
3. DMI Comfort Wheelchair Cushion
The DMI Comfort Wheelchair Cushion is specially designed to fit all sizes of wheelchair and provide comfort from every angle. It can also be transferred to recliners and armchairs so that you can maintain premium support no matter where you go. Six fabric ties allow you to secure the cushion into place so you don’t have to worry about slips and movement at all. It will stay in place all day.
The overstuffed, polyester fiberfill plush cushion molds to the body’s contours to give support and comfort. The stuffing is highly absorbent, ideal for patients with incontinence issues, and the entire cushion is both machine washable and hypoallergenic to provide the highest level of sanitation and hygiene. This wheelchair cushion softens even the hardest of wheelchairs, making it perfect for long-term sitting. The plushness makes this cushion much better suited for the colder months to provide extra warmth for slimmer patients who need a little insulation.
- The DMI Comfort Wheelchair Cushion is much more secure than other wheelchair cushions as it can be tied onto the frame of the wheelchair to eradicate slips and movement.
- The overstuffed, plush filling adds insulation in the colder months and provides comfort and coziness for the user.
- The ultra-absorbent filling will take away any liquid spills so that the user is not left sitting in water.
- The removeable cover is machine washable and very easy to clean.
- The hypoallergenic materials ensure that this wheelchair cushion can be used by all wheelchair users.
- There is no memory foam in this wheelchair cushion, so it does not provide the heightened level of support that other cushions in this guide offer.
- This cushion is not waterproof and will absorb liquids and spills and only the cover is machine washable, this means that the stuffing will still contain the liquid. This can be unsanitary for long-term use.
- The DMI Comfort Wheelchair Cushion surrounds the patient in the chair and this can make the seat of the cushion feel tighter than other wheelchair cushions.
- The padding of the cushion is thinner than gel wheelchair cushions and can get lumpy with long-term use. This requires a little bit of extra maintenance to ensure an even distribution of padding.
- The placement of the ties on the arms of the wheelchair are not as secure as the seating, making it difficult to use the arms for weight redistribution as the cushion may slip.
- There is no tie to keep the back of the cushion up straight on the back of the chair, which can be irritating for some users if it sags.
The final item in our guide and the winner of our premium pick is the DMI Comfort Wheelchair Cushion. This chair provides premium comfort and a warming insulator in the winter months. The highly absorbent material quickly deals with spills and leaks, and the seat cover can easily be removed and cleaned in the washing machine. With six ties across the body of the wheelchair cushion, you can provide much more security in the chair. Simply tie these across the frame and take away all risk of the cushion slipping. If you are looking for the best wheelchair cushion for comfort and coziness, look no further than this overstuffed plush cushion.
Wheelchair cushions are a very important purchase for wheelchair users, no matter how long you will be in the chair. These cushions will keep aches, pains, and sores at bay and reduce the chances of swelling and wheelchair related conditions. This is vital for users who need a little extra support. If you’re not a permanent wheelchair user and want a low cost, high value cushion, the Vive Wheelchair Cushion is an excellent choice. Don’t let the lower cost misguide you. This cushion doesn’t skimp on comfort and support.
If you’re looking to invest a little more in your wheelchair cushion, the Everlasting Pure Memory Foam Seat Cushion gives you the highest level of gel support out there. For those looking for pure comfort and a cozy cushion, you can’t go wrong with the with the DMI Comfort Wheelchair Cushion, which surrounds you in plushness. As we’ve said, there are so many different options and features that wheelchair cushions can offer you. The materials that create them offer different levels of support, protection and hygiene.
There is a lot of information out there which can make wheelchair accessories a tricky thing to navigate, but you are sure to find the best option for you with Surf’n’Buy. If you are new to wheelchair accessories, or are simply interested in upgrading your current wheelchair accessories, we hope that we have helped you find the right wheelchair cushion for premium comfort and style.