Coming up to this guide can mean that you really need to begin thinking about wrapping up and staying warm, or maybe winter sports are your ideal holiday. It’s important that no matter where you are, you’re safe and protected with a proper insulated jacket, but finding the right one is a bit confusing. There are a huge number of brands and specialised jackets that can offer you different things for different uses, and when the weather gets colder you will need to have a parka that is best suited to your needs and the weather outside.
This Surf’n’Buy’s guide has been developed to help you better understand what you would need from a parka and the features and materials that will best suit your needs. We have five of the best products on the market from a number of different brands which are suited for different purposes. So, no matter what you need from a jacket or how much movement you require, we are confident that we have the right jacket for you.
Now here’s our look at the top 5 winter jackets for men on the market in 2019.
Top 5 Winter Jackets for Men
1. Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka
- Label on lower pocket flap
This is the 100% Polyester Oxford coat with 100% Polyester Taffeta lining for high levels of insulation. It’s completely machine washable for convenience. The hood can be zipped to attach and remove so that you can make the coat lighter if needed. The adjustable draw cord and cord locks allow you to tighten the hood and keep it in place for warmth and versatility. With a two-way front zip and storm flaps, the Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka gives you strong protection against the elements. Adjustable cuffs allow you to tighten and protect your arms from the weather. Several large pockets across the body of the parka allow you to keep with you everything you need without the need for a bag or extra luggage. Adjustable cords at the waist, bottom and sides make it easy to get an optimal fit and heightened protection from the elements.
- The pure polyester materials keep you protected from high winds and cold temperatures, making it the Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka the perfect option for cold winters.
- This parka is completely machine washable, making it ideal for frequent use as it is very easy to clean and maintain.
- With several adjustable cords and cord locks around the body of the parka, you can adjust it to fit your body closely and keep you protected from bitter weather.
- The large pockets means that you don’t need to have as much to carry, as phones and wallets will easily fit in these pockets and be safe and secure wherever you go.
- The Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka is completely insulated, waterproof and wind resistant, making it a great fit for all weather and areas.
- The fit of the Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka is not always true to the size shown, and this can make it slightly too tight and uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time.
- The tighter sizes of the parka can leave it susceptible to rips and tears around the body of the parka and this causes it to be less durable and protective in the long run.
- The zipper is double sided and this can be uncomfortable when the parka is zipped all the way, as the zip itself can rub and irritate the skin on the chin and neck.
- The pockets have very tight openings which can make it difficult to get things in and out of them, especially if you are wearing gloves.
- The toggles to adjust the coat are placed rather awkwardly and can be difficult to use to their full extent.
In first place in this review guide is the Caterpillar Men’s Heavy Insulated Parka. This parka is one of the best options for cold weather and being out in the snow as it is incredibly well insulated and weather proof. With a number of toggles and cords to adjust the size and fit of the coat, it can easily be customised to fit your body and keep you properly protected. Not only is it comfortable and adjustable, it is also machine washable, making it ideal for frequent wear and convenient cleaning.
With a number of large pockets, you can keep your hands free for other tasks whilst still keeping everything you need with you and safe in clipped pockets. Caterpillar have a great reputation for customer service and quality, so if you’re looking for a new parka, the Caterpillar Men's Heavy Insulated Parka is one of the best options out there and we definitely recommend it.
2. Wantdo Men’s Waterproof Mountain Jacket
- Waterproof: Water-repellent rain jacket can work under over 10000mm pressure head. Keep your body always dry and comfortable when you are outside, also can fights bad rainy or misty weather.
- Windproof: 1) Adjustable cuffs with hook & loop fastener and stretchable glove with thumb hole help seal in warmth. 2) Inside windproof snap skirt, internal drawcord hem, detachable and adjustable storm hood help to keep wind out. 3) Wear resisting soft shell is highly wind resistant.
- Multi Pockets: 2 zippered hand pockets, 1 zippered chest pocket (passport or cards stowed), 1 internal pocket, 1 internal secure media pocket. An earphone line fastening and supporting fixture available inside the jacket.
- Size notes: Jacket offers a standard fit. Please choose by US size.
- Best use: Downhill Skiing, Snowboarding, Snowsports and other winter outdoor sports.
The exterior of the Wantdo Men’s Waterproof Mountain Jacket is made from 100% polyester to offer a greater level of weather protection. The padding of the parka is 1200g cotton padding to guarantee greater heat retention to protect you from the cold. The hood is both detachable and adjustable to keep you protected. There are three outer pockets and one inner pocket for personal belongings. The zipper is placed on the left side of the coat for greater comfortability. The cuffs of the Wantdo Men’s Waterproof Mountain Jacket are Velcro so that you can adjust the coat around gloves and keep your arms protected. Adjustable toggles make it easy to fit the coat closer to your body for greater protection. There is a line to fasten headphones on the inside of the coat as an extra useful feature.
- The polyester exterior and cotton padding makes the Wantdo Men’s Waterproof Mountain Jacket incredibly comfortable and offers greater protection from the wind, rain and cold.
- The adjustability and customisation in several areas of the parka means that you can suit it to your preferences and needs.
- The moveable design is ideal for travelling and mountaineering, as it is breathable and easy to move around in.
- The displaced zip means that the Wantdo Men’s Waterproof Mountain Jacket is much more comfortable as the zip will not irritate the chin or neck area.
- The headphone line on the inside of the coat means that you can set up your music and not have to work with fiddly wires when out in the cold, keeping your hands warm.
- With a number of pockets on both the inside and outside of the coat, you can easily store everything you need safely and securely. Keeping your hands free and your belongings safe.
- The jacket is slightly heavy and this can make it difficult to travel long distances in, as it can weigh down the wearer.
- The displaced zip can make it difficult to use in colder weather and when gloves are being worn. It can also make it uncomfortable when the zip is all the way closed, as there is no protection between the cold zip and your face.
- The pockets are not lined, so your hands can get cold when using these pockets as a protective measure.
- The coat can sometimes be a slightly different size than expected, making it uncomfortable and less successful at protecting you from the colder weather conditions.
- The brand is very obvious on the design of the coat and this can be a cosmetic issue for some wearers as the design is very brash.
In second place is the Wantdo Men's Waterproof Mountain Jacket. This jacket is ideal for mountaineering, skiing and other winter sports as it is much easier to move in and the materials are made to be breathable, whilst the heavy cotton protection keeps you warm and comfortable. With interior pockets and a line for headphones, this jacket is great for those who need to carry personal belongings but need to keep their hands free. The high level of customisation in this jacket make it easy to fit it to your body and keep yourself warm and protected from cold weather and harsh elements. This parka is perfect for the active outdoorsman, so if you need a parka that can move and travel with you, the Wantdo Men’s Waterproof Mountain Jacket is the best option for you.
3. Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket
- Left-chest pocket with zipper closure
- Two inside pockets
- Two sherpa-lined lower-front pockets
- Pleated elbows
- Inner-sleeve, rib-knit storm cuffs
The Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket is 100% cotton for comfortability and flexibility. The zipper closure ensures a snug fit with weather protection. This coat is entirely machine washable for convenience. There is a zippered pocket at the chest to keep personal belongings safe. A drawstring on the hood makes it easy to adjust and keep your head and neck protected. Slant pockets on the front of the Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket makes it comfortable to use the pockets for weather protection. Sherpa lining maintains heat in cold temperatures. Seams are triple stitched for high durability, making the Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket much more likely to last the winter. Quilted nylon lining in the sleeves ensures even insulation and warmth in the entire jacket. This jacket weighs only 12 ounces for flexibility and movability.
- The cotton body of the Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket is ideal for cold winters, as it is flexible and well insulated.
- This parka is completely machine washable, so it is the best option for frequent wear as it is very easily cleaned.
- The slanted pockets make it much more comfortable to keep your hands in your pockets to protect them from the cold.
- The zipped pocket on the chest of the parka keeps your personal belongings safe and secure and frees up your hands.
- The Sherpa lining maintains a great deal of heat so that you can keep your body temperature at a safe level.
- Weighing only 12 ounces, the Carhartt Men's Sherpa Lined Jacket is great to wear for long periods of time as it won’t feel to heavy and uncomfortable.
- The drawstring on the hood means that you can customise the level of protection that you need from the elements.
- The fitting of the Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket can run larger than most other coats and this can reduce the level of weather protection and insulation that it offers.
- The arms are tighter than the body of the parka and this can make it uncomfortable if you need to move your arms around often.
- The waist and body of the coat is slightly bulky, which can be irritating if you need to move around a lot.
- The colour of the Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket can fade very quickly after washing the parka and this can be a cosmetic issue for some customers.
- There are no toggles on the body of the parka, so it is not possible to fully customise the shape to fit your body properly and this can reduce the level of protection you get from the coat.
The Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket is an excellent option for winter months, as it is well insulated, comfortable and flexible enough to help you get jobs done. If you live in a particularly cold area then this parka is the best option for you, as it is much more comfortable and convenient than other options. It is easy to clean, being completely machine washable, making it ideal for those who need to wear their parka on a daily basis. With slanted pockets and a zipped chest pocket, it is comfortable to use the pockets for weather protection, as well as to keep personal belongings safe and secure. If you’re looking for a parka to wear on a daily basis, then the Carhartt Men’s Sherpa Lined Jacket is a great option to go for.
4. The North Face Men’s Resolve Jacket
- Jacket-category: Jacket
- Jacket-Type: Rain Jacket
- Season-season: Whole Year Product
- Jacket-Coating: Outer Layer water protection
The filling insulation is a synthetic fill to provide a higher level of protection and warmth. The impenetrable moisture barrier in the lining of the parka assures dryness in the wettest of weather. The The North Face Men’s Resolve Jacket limits the air penetration to reduce the chill of colder weather. This parka is made with lightweight fabrics to help regulate your body temperature on the inside of the parka. There are sixteen colours available in this jacket. This parka weighs around 2 pounds. The hood is completely adjustable; hood stows away inside the collar so that you can choose to have the hood out or stowed away.
- The synthetic insulation keeps you protected from adverse weather conditions and provides plenty of warmth in the colder climates, without adding too much weight onto the coat.
- The The North Face Men’s Resolve Jacket is incredibly lightweight, making it ideal for those who need to move around a lot when wearing the parka.
- With an impenetrable moisture barrier, you can stay dry from the colder and wetter weathers around you.
- The limited air penetration makes this parka ideal for areas of high wind, as it protects your body from the cold weather.
- The lightweight materials blend together perfectly to make only a 2 pound weight behind the The North Face Men’s Resolve Jacket, so it is comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
- With a hood and toggles that pull closed, you can keep your head and neck protected from the wind.
- You can also store your hood in a zipped collar should you choose not to wear the hood.
- With sixteen colours to choose from, you are sure to find a parka to suit your style.
- The elastic around the wrists can be rather loose and this can cause an issue in trying to keep your arms protected.
- The sizes of the The North Face Men’s Resolve Jacket run larger than other parkas and this can make it difficult to find the right size for you, allowing wind to get into the torso.
- The parka is not fitted to the body and allows space between the parka and the body.
- There are no inside pockets to this parka which can leave your personal belongings in outside pockets, which is much less safe.
- There are only 2 outside pockets, so many personal belongings may not fit into the pockets and this can leave you carrying things like gloves and hats.
The North Face Men's Resolve Jacket is an excellent option for those who need to move around, whether it be skiing or manual jobs whilst wearing this parka. The synthetic lining keeps you warm in the colder weather, but keeps the parka light enough to wear for long periods of time, which is perfect for those who need to be out in the cold. The fitting allows you to wear layers underneath this parka, which is best for lower temperatures, as you will need as much thermal protection as possible. The hood is easily stored in a zip pocket of the collar, so you can choose whether you need it or not. All of these features combined give you the perfect parka for a number of different uses, making it an all round parka for any need.
5. Condor Summit Softshell Jacket Foliage
- Durable, waterproof, lightweight, breathable fabric
- Velcro loop on both shoulders for ID Patches
- Double zipper back pocket ; Underarm vent zipper; Drawstring waistband and hood
- Stow away hood, drawstring waist
The 100% polyester outer layer for the best waterproof protection and wind proofing. Middle placed zipper closure. The collar is lined for warmth and stand up for wind protection. The hood stows away in the back of the collar. There are multiple pocked on the front and the arms of the Condor Summit Softshell Jacket Foliage for personal belongings and tools. A zipper is placed underneath each arm so that you can ventilate the coat should you get too warm. The forearms are reinforced with a double layer.
There are eight colours and designs of the jacket to choose from. The shell is lightweight and breathable to take moisture away from the body whilst still providing supreme weather protection. The jacket has a lighter option, the Summit ZERO for warmer weather, which is lighter but still as durable.
- The pure polyester shell is flexible whilst still being durable and weatherproof, ideal for a number of different lifestyles in the colder weather.
- The collar is able to stand up and protect the neck from the wind, reducing the need for scarves and bulky layers.
- With multiple pockets around the body of the coat, you can place personal belongings on your person whilst still having your hands free and you can choose where your tools go to get the easiest placement to grab them.
- The forearms are reinforced, which makes it a much stronger and more durable coat.
- Eight different colours and designs of the Condor Summit Softshell Jacket Foliage give you plenty of options to choose from, so you are sure to find a style that suits you.
- The shape of the coat is completely true to size, so you know exactly what you are getting with no surprises.
- The lightweight design is ideal for those who need a lot of movement from their parka.
- The breathable materials help your body to regulate temperature to a comfortable level.
- The underarm zippers make it easy to reduce body temperature without having to remove the coat or various layers.
- The zipper is a middle placement and this can make it uncomfortable on the chin and neck when the zipper is completely closed and the collar is stood up.
- The zipper is very stiff and difficult to use, which makes it even harder to use when wearing gloves.
- The sleeves are held with Velcro and this will begin to lose its durability the more the coat is worn. Although not an issue initially, this will eventually need to be replaced at an extra cost.
- The Velcro is not strong enough for those who wear the coat for long periods of time, as it begins to come undone and this reduces the protection it gives you from the cold.
- There are no internal pockets on the Condor Summit Softshell Jacket Foliage, which can leave personal belongings on the outside of the coat and provides them less protection that if they were on the inside of the coat.
The final product on our list is the Condor Summit Softshell Jacket Foliage. This jacket has all the durability and reinforced areas that you need to keep it strong throughout the winter. This jacket will keep you warm whilst still giving you the flexibility and stability you need to carry out tasks or travel when wearing the coat. The stand-up collar reduces the need for bulky scarves and layers underneath the jacket itself. This is an excellent feature to help reduce bulk but still keep you warm. Although there are no internal pockets, there are plenty of pockets around the body of the jacket for personal belongings and tools. All of this combined makes the Condor Summit Softshell Jacket Foliage the ideal jacket for the busy outdoorsman who needs to move around and get things done despite the colder weather.
Quality vs Cheap Winter Jacket for Men
Finding a quality parka is incredibly important to make sure that you stay warm and protected and that your parka will last through the winter. There are a few ways that you can make sure your winter jacket is of high quality and some features that you should look out for to make sure you get the best option. This section of Surf’n’Buy’s guide gives you five areas to be aware of to make sure that your park is the best quality and gives you what you need in the cold weather.
The insulation materials make a huge difference in how warm the coat will keep you when out in the cold. Wool and fleece are the most average insulators and they function even when they’re wet but can be heavier than most others. Synthetic fill is ideal if warmth is your ultimate goal, as it is light and can hold a higher temperature. This is best for hiking and colder temperatures when heat is needed so that your body temperature can get too low. Goose down is the most expensive insulator but is also the lightest. It traps heat the best and gives you the movability and insulation you need for skiing and other winter sports.
Materials can change how well your parka will retain heat and how weatherproof it is. Polyester is the most typical shell for a parka as it is windproof, waterproof and holds the heat in the insulation. The purer the polyester mix the better and the best parkas are 100% polyester shells. The purer the polyester the more movable and flexible the coat will be also, so if you need to move about a lot and allow your body to move whilst staying warm then go for 100% purity or another similar material.
Customising your parka helps to fit it better to your body and give you a greater level of protection from the elements. Waist toggles, wrist toggles and base toggles all help you to pull the parka tighter and keep your body warm. Most parkas also have the option to remove the hood which can make a huge difference also, as this gives you the option to protect your neck and head or take off the hood and use a hat. For the best parkas, look for options that offer you as much customisation as possible so that you can protect your body fully.
If you’re planning to use the parka when skiing, mountaineering and travelling then you will need a parka that will be easy to move about in without it being restrictive. The lighter the insulation and the more flexible the shell, the easier it will be to move in the parka, so goose down and synthetic fill are the best options for this. Where a shell is concerned, the best materials are polyester and polyester mixes. If the parka is purely to keep you warm during colder months then the best option may be a thicker insulation with a more solid shell to keep in the warmth and keep out the cold.
When out and about, the more features that your parka can offer you, the better it will serve your needs. Several large pockets can help to keep your hands free when you’re climbing and skiing, especially if you need to keep personal belongings like a phone or wallet with you. Other helpful features are headphone lines so that you can link up your music and listen to it on the go. There are a number of features that can make life easier, so keep a look out for what you feel may suit you best.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing Winter Jacket for Men
There are a number of factors to consider when trying to find the best winter coat, but even more so when you are trying to find a parka that will best suit your needs and the weather environments around you. This part of our guide walks you through the most important features that you need to consider in order to make sure that you get the best parka to suit your needs. Keep these factors in mind when going through the buying process to ensure that you get the right parka for your needs and the weather conditions around you, as well as what you need to be able to do when wearing the parka.
If you want your parka to last the winter then you need a high quality parka with plenty of helpful features and high quality materials. The higher quality the materials and the better the insulation and stitching, the better quality the parka will be and the longer it will last. Durability is especially important in longer winters and if you like to stay active despite the cold, so keep it in mind when shopping for your new coat.
For really low temperatures and adverse weather conditions, you may need to layer up underneath your parka. If this is the case then make sure that you leave room underneath the parka for thermal layers. The best way to do this is buy a parka that may be one or two sizes bigger than you would normally buy, as this will give you the room you need to layer up underneath and properly stay warm through the cold weather. Be careful, as too much room can reduce the protection you get, but a parka that is too small can be uncomfortable.
The whole point of a parka is to keep you warm when the weather and temperatures aren’t high enough. When looking for a new parka you need to keep in mind how low the temperatures get in your area and how much warmth you need from your parka in relation to what you will be wearing underneath. If you wear a lot of layers, you may not need as much warmth from the coat other than as a protective layer, but if you live in a really cold area then you will need a large parka that keeps you very warm.
Parkas have recently been one of the top trends in fashion wear, making them incredibly popular across all ages. This can mean that some of the parkas out there aren’t suitable for everyday and realistic use, so you need to be careful what kinds of parkas to look at. If you only want a parka for looks and trends then you can have a look at the more modern options, but a more practical option will need a bit more research. This buying guide is focused on practicality so that you can find a parka that will keep you warm and protect you from adverse weather conditions.
If you’re going to be wearing your parka for long periods of time then you will want the most comfortable options that you can find. There are several features out there which help to make your parka more comfortable, such as fleece lining, a displaced zipper and toggles to tailor the jacket to your body. Take a look at what each parka can offer you comfort wise so that you get a jacket that will be comfortable to wear all day if it is needed. Many of these features make parkas more protective, also, which is always a bonus.
Finally, and similarly to all purchases, the price needs to fit into a budget that suits you best. Parkas can be an expensive investment, especially more practical options, as there are several areas of expertise that goes into making them. Have a look at our recommended products to help give you an idea of what your budget may be and what you will need to spend for a high-quality parka. Creating a budget before buying is always helpful to make the right purchase, but when it comes to warmth and weather protection it is usually better to spend more rather than less.
Best Brands of Winter Jackets for Men
Branding can make a huge difference when it comes to quality and helpful features, so finding the right brand is pretty important when making a major purchase. This section of our guide gives you five of the best brand on the market, offering you a variety of features and specifications that suit different uses from your parka. Some of these brands are features in our recommended products section, so make sure that you check there as well so that you get the right parka to suit you, without all of the research and fuss.
The North Face
The North Face is one of the most well known brands when it comes to outdoor and protective clothing to keep you warm when it’s cold and dry when it’s warm. They have a huge range of parkas that will offer you exactly what you need, and a range of features that make different parkas suitable for different people. They offer a warranty for each parka to make sure there are no production or manufacturing issues, assuring you some of the best quality parkas on the market.
Timberland are well known for their shoes, but are also an excellent brand in the protective clothing market. They have a range of fabrics and insulations to choose from to get the right weight and flexibility for your needs, so make sure that you check them out when looking for a new parka. Timberland also offer long warranties with each of their products and will cover buyers for any issues that they encounter with manufacturing or fabric ware, so you have plenty of time to assure that your parka is of high standard. We have a few of Timberland’s products in our recommended section, so take a look there to see what will suit you best.
Caterpillar is a well known outdoors brand that offers products in a variety of areas across the sector so that you can get everything that you need from a brand that you can trust. Their parkas offer a supreme level of protection and warmth, providing you with everything that you need to stay warm and protected whilst skiing, hiking, and all manner of other outdoor sports. All products are protected under warranties to assure manufacturing perfection, so you can be sure that you are well protected and have everything you need to stay warm this winter.
Carhartt is not as well known as a brand as some others out there, but they offer a level of quality that rivals the top brands in the market. With plenty of different products and parkas to choose from, we are certain that you will find the one you need when you put your faith in this brand. Each coat comes with its own warranty to assure quality, and we are so confident in this brand that we have it featured in our recommended section, so make sure you check there for more information.
The final brand on our recommended list is Condor. Although it is another lesser known brand, Condor have a spectacular reputation in developing high quality clothing and protective outerwear. They have everything to kit you out from head to toe, ensuring that you are fully protected and comfortable. We have this brand in our recommended products section, so be sure to see what they have to offer. They ensure a warranty with all clothing to make sure that you get exactly what you need from your coat and that you stay warm and protected in colder weather conditions.
Consider Your Needs When Buying Winter Jacket
Finding the right parka for your needs is incredibly important when they are being used as a piece of clothing that will keep you safe and protected from tougher weather conditions and very low temperatures. This part of our guide is specially researched to give you a few helpful steps that you can take to find a parka that will suit your needs the best. We have carefully researched this part of our buying guide to help you make sure that know exactly what to do to do that you get a parka that will suit your needs the best.
Take Your Time
There are a huge range of features and specifications when it comes to finding a parka and if you try and rush your decision then you can end up with an option that doesn’t suit your needs. Take your time when you’re buying and make sure you consider a number of different options. This will give you more time to better understand what you need and what will offer you the best parka. We have five recommended products in this guide so that you can have a look at the different features available and find what you think will best suit you.
Why You Need It
There are many reasons to buy a parka, from trends to practicality and safety. If you’re buying a parka for a cold winter then you won’t need as heavy duty a parka as someone who lives in colder areas permanently. Think about the area around you and what the general weather conditions are like there to help you find the features that are best suited to you. We have several options in our recommended products section that can help you find a parka to suit your needs best.
The lower the temperatures, the higher level of protection that you will need. That means better grade insulation and more protective shells and interiors. There are a number of features that can help you achieve the right level of protection from the temperatures but you should also make sure that they have breathability, as this will ensure that you don’t get uncomfortably warm or perspire too much in the parka. Heavier parkas may be difficult to move in, but will offer you the warmth you need in the colder temperatures.
If you’re going to be out in the snow then you will need less waterproof specifications than you will in areas with lots of rain. Although snow is still wet, it is much easier to brush off and won’t melt easily on the surface of your parka. If you are going to be out in the rain then several layers of waterproof insulation can be helpful to keep yourself dry and warm. If you’re going skiing or need to do a lot of physical work then you will need something that is moveable but can still cope with the cold and snowy conditions. Make sure to look for options that are best suited for your activities and weather conditions around you.
The sizing of parkas can be a little bit different to the average coat or jacket so getting the right size can be difficult. Most parkas will have their sizes in inches to make it easier to get a size that is best for you but colder temperatures may require you to wear layers underneath the parka. If you’re going to be wearing layers then adding a few inches underneath the size of the parka can help you to find a parka that will suit your clothing options the best. If you don’t want to wear layers then a closer fit can be the best way of getting a higher level of protection from the elements.
Your style should also be taken into account when purchasing a coat or parka. There are a number of brands that now produce parkas that can be easily matched with your wardrobe, whether you are minimalistic or prefer big patterns. However, if you are purchasing a parka that is being used for protection and weather conditions then you may have to sacrifice style for practicality and protection. Take a look around the different options available to you but make sure that it has the correct level of protection for the area that you live in or what you plan to be doing in the parka.
Winter Jacket Tips and Tricks
With all of our guides, we like to help you even after your purchase by giving you some tips and tricks to help you get the most of your new product. In this section of our guide we have collected some of the best tips and tricks that we can find to help you get the most out of your parka and so that you can make it work for you. The Surf’n’Buy have six tips that you can use to really get the most out of your money and stay warm and protected this winter.
The hood of your parka may be attached permanently and stored in a pouch within the collar, or it may be detachable so that you can decide whether or not you want to wear it. Hoods are great for when the weather is rainy, but aren’t normally as helpful in the snow or the sun, so a customisation with the hood always helps in changing environments and weather conditions. If the weather is temperamental then keep the hood with you, you can always decide to put it on later and you won’t get caught out when it rains.
Adjustments and Customisation
Adjusting your parka to fit closer to your body is one of the best ways to protect yourself against high winds and extremely low temperatures. Waist and hip toggles help to keep your body protected and elasticated wrists keep your arms protected. If you are choosing to wear a hood then you can also tighten this toggle, but if not you may need to wear layers to protect your neck. Take some time to customise your parka and try different tightness in different areas to find what gives you the best protection and comfort in the colder climates.
When a parka is brand new the shell of the coat can be rather tight and difficult to move in. This can restrict your movement and make it difficult to perform the tasks you need to. The best way to avoid this is to wear your parka for an hour or two before you go out and use it properly to allow the fabric to get used to movement. Once this is done it will be much easier to wear the parka and move around as you need to when the cold weather hits. This is not a necessity for all parkas, but can help with tougher fabrics.
Most parkas have a lot of pockets on both the inside and outside of the jacket to make sure that you have plenty of room for all of your personal belongings. Carrying your belongings in pockets leaves your hands free for the other things that you need to do whilst still having everything you need on you. Keep phones and electronics on the inside of the jacket to keep them especially safe from the rain and the snow, and make sure that any tools you need are quick and easy to reach from the exterior pockets. Think about where you’re placing your tools and belongings before you leave so you don’t get yourself into a tricky situation.
Parkas are a great way of protecting your body but your hands are left exposed. For really cold temperatures, make sure that you have longer gloves that can be tucked underneath the cuffs of your jacket to ensure that your hands and wrists are properly protected from the cold. Getting the right gloves can make outdoor tasks a lot easier when out in the cold, so think carefully about the customisation you can manage and the right gloves for you.
In most colder areas, you will need more than just a parka to keep you protected from the cold. Buying a parka that is slightly too big and layering thermals underneath can help protect your body from the cold temperatures and give you room to take off these layers should you get too warm. There are a number of brands and thermals for your to choose from to get the right amount of protection from the temperatures around you so take a look around to get the right level of protection for the low temperatures.
Finding the right parka takes some time, as you need to be able to get what you need from the coat without too much bulk and allowing enough breathability that you won’t overheat when performing tasks, hiking or skiing. The Surf’n’Buy team have developed this guide with you in mind, as we know that there are many reasons you may be looking for a parka and that this will change the type of protection and different features. We hope that we have helped you to find the right parka for your needs and that it will serve you well throughout your use of the coat. Enjoy your winter moments!