The Central Machinery 7 X 10 Mini Lathe is a multipurpose mini lathe for various tasks such as spindles, designing bushings, prototype tool models, and others. With 18 threads and a micro switch chuck guard, this mini metal lathe is ETL listed and ideal for engineering settings, educational settings, workshops, and labs. It adopts corded electric power source and comes with plastic steel rotator handles. The lathe has automatic feed and variable control knob. You can use it for cutting a wide range of tools from stainless steel to wood. This is the perfect mini lathe for operating on projects that require longer hours since it has a high power output and a compact designing.
The Central Machinery is a Brand of Harbour Freight that deals with metal lathes. Harbour Freight Tools started over 35 years ago, with a commitment to provide working people with great quality tools at the lowest prices. And for all that time, Harbor Freight Tools has done just that. From hand tools and generators to air and power tools, from shop equipment to automotive tools, Harbor Freight offers more than 7,000 tools and accessories at quality levels that match or exceed competing brands but at prices that are up to 80% less.
In order to ensure quality at low prices, Harbour Freight buys material from the same factories that also supply those expensive brands, but instead reduce their profits to maximize the savings to their customers. Harbour Freight tools are tested in their state-of-art labs and put through punishing tests, which far exceed the strain of regular use. This ensures that the tools perform to professional standards and stay tough for the long haul. They guarantee 100% satisfaction with a no-hassle return policy and a lifetime warranty on all hand tools.
Features and Specifications:
- The Working Area: Between the face of the jaws and the tip of the live center with the tailstock at the far end of the ways is 6″. If you remove the tailstock and the threading dial (one screw each), then you could turn a self-supporting piece extending 8″ from the 3-jaw chuck. If you use a collet instead of the chuck then you could get to about 10″ but the spindle bore is under 1″ and the largest collet is something like 1/2″ or 5/8″ so you’d be taking pretty light cuts out there.
- Power & Voltage: This mini lathe has a voltage of 120v 60Hz. It uses a 4 amp fuse, and the motors are rated 250-260 watts.
- Warranty: Harbour Freight guarantees this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship 90 days from the date of purchase. Limitations apply.
Some Important Part Features:
- Power switch: Turns on and off power to the motor. When the Power Switch is lit, the motor is on.
- Forward-off-reverse switch: Changes the Spindle Chuck rotation from Forward (clockwise), to OFF (no rotation), to Reverse (counterclockwise). However, you should not change the Forward-oFF reverse switch direction while the lathe is running.
- Speed control knob: Adjusts the Spindle speed from 0 to 2500 RPMs. Check that this knob is at 0 before turning on the Lathe.
- Feed direction selector: Changes the Lead Screw rotation from Forward (toward the Chuck) to Neutral (no rotation), to Reverse (away from the Chuck). Do not change the Feed direction selector while the Lathe is running.
- H/L gear shift Lever: Changes the spindle speed range from High (0 – 2500 RPM) to Low (0-1100 RPM).
- N/B: Do not adjust the h/L gear shift Lever while the Lathe is running.
The lathe comes with a 3 jaw chuck as in the picture and a live center. A 4 jaw chuck is also available. Oddly, it comes with NO cutting tools – but other than that, everything is there. You can get steady and carriage rests, larger chucks, faceplate and dogs, collets, a tool post grinder, various sorts of tool posts, an adapter to use as a milling machine, metal gears to replace the plastic ones, metal knobs (same deal) etc.
Other Key Features:
- MT2 Tailstock taper
- MT2 Spindle Tapper
- Chuck guard with micro switch
- Sped Range-0-1100 RPM (low) and 0-2500 RPM (high)
- 12 to 52 TPI Thread size
- 14.95 additional Freight Charge
- 10-inch distance between centers
- Acting 4 amp mini Fuse
- Through Chuck Capacity 5/8- inches
- 1.5 mm pitch
- 120 Volt/ 60 Hz horsepower motor
- Bed Dimensions 15-7/8-inch length x 3-1/4 inches width
- Work Tolerance 0.005- inches
- Max. Tool Bit Size 5/16-inches
- Swing Over Bed -7 inches
- Swing Over Gap- 7 inches
- Swing Over Saddle- 4-1/2 inches
- Swing Over Cross Slide-2-1/8 inches
- Carriage Travel 6-1/2 inches
- Compound Travel 2-3/4 inches
- Cross Slide Travel 2-3/4 inches
The Lathe Also Boasts:
- Automatic feed
- Chuck guard with micro switch
- Variable speed control knob
- Speeds: 0-1100 RPM (low)
- 0-2500 RPM (high)
- Threads: 12 to 52 TPI
- Tailstock taper: MT2
- Tool post
- ETL listed
- Overweight Item subject to 14.95 additional Freight Charge.
- Easy to use
- It has good power output
- It has no bit slippage
- Lacks power
- It does not come with cutting tools and you have to buy some extra parts to operate the lathe
- Relatively costly
The Central Machinery 7 x 10 Precision Mini Lathe is quality metal lathe. Whether you’re turning, counter facing or making bushings, spindles, prototypes or models, this precision mini lathe will meet the challenge! With its 18 threads, an automatic and chuck guard that has a micro switch, this central machinery product is a quality and outstanding mini lathe ideal for use in labs, workshops, engineering and educational settings.