Are you looking for the perfect electric baseboard heater to keep your home warm and comfortable without taking up too much space? Want a subtle heater that will heat the home without even being noticeable? A baseboard heater might just be the option for you. These heaters slide into the space where a baseboard would usually sit (hence the name) and provide an upwards convection heat to warm the room quickly and evenly.
If you are looking for an innovative and subtle heating solution, you have come to the right place. Surf’n’Buy have six of the best electric baseboard heaters for you to choose from to provide you with everything you need to heat your home efficiently. Take a look through our extensive buying guide to better understand what these heaters offer to your home and why they are the best option for you. We have all the information you need to understand the heaters themselves, as well as what the features mean so you can make an informed decision.
Keep reading and find the heating solution which is perfect for you and your family to stay warm and comfortable this Christmas.
Top 6 Electric Baseboard Heaters
1. Cadet Manufacturing 05534
The Cadet Manufacturing 05534 baseboard heater is available between 120 to 240 volts so that you can install a heater which is perfect for your home and offers all of the heat you need. Capable of heating up to 200 square feet, this is the perfect baseboard heater for home use. The 25 gauge steel box is durable and reliable and the 20 gauge junction box and powder coating keeps the heating element protected and efficient. The 1000 watt motor is ideal for heating any room efficiently and to an even temperature.
Available in an almond or white finish, the Cadet Manufacturing 05534 baseboard heater will fit into the décor of any room to keep it warm and cozy without upsetting the overall design. The lightweight, 8 pound design is easy to install and move as needed. UL listed, this heater is entirely safe and secure, keeping your family safe when using this heater.
The quiet convection heater makes very little noise to keep your living spaces peaceful as it keeps it warm and comfortable. The discreet and subtle design fits into any baseboard so you won’t ruin the aesthetic of your living area but still keeps the whole room warm.
- Powered from either 120 or 240 volts, you can power this from a traditional plug outlet or directly from the mains depending on how you choose to install.
- Able to heat up to 200 square feet so that you can heat any living space to a comfortable temperature in the colder months.
- The 25 gauge steel body and 20 gauge junction box ensures durability to withstand the knocks and bumps of everyday life.
- The 1000 wat motor is powerful and efficient to heat a room quickly and evenly.
- The discreet and subtle design is available in almond or white finish to fit in with the décor of any room
- The lightweight design is easy to install and move as needed.
- The UL listing guarantees your safety to give you peace of mind when using this heater in the home.
- The convection heater is quiet so as to blend into the background, unnoticeable over TV or chatter.
- The Cadet Manufacturing 05534 baseboard heater requires a thermostat to work but this does not come with the heater and will need to be purchased at an extra cost.
- This heater will require hardwiring, it cannot simply be plugged in to use so you may need professional installation if you are not very handy.
- There is no fan in this heater so it will not move warm air around the room which gives an uneven temperature and may cause hot and cold spots.
- The heating unit has a smell during the first few uses which can be unpleasant.
- The metal can bend easily which can damage the heating unit.
- This heater only heats up to 200 square feet so you will need more than one in larger rooms.
If you are looking for a high quality baseboard heater that will fit into the décor of any living area, the Cadet Manufacturing 05534 baseboard heater is an excellent option. This sleek heater blends into the baseboard to heat any room to a comfortable temperature. Suitable to power from either 120 to 240 volts to reach 1000 watts, this heater reaches 1000 watts to get a room to temperature as quickly as possible. The lightweight design is easy to install and is UL listed to guarantee safety in your home so you can rest easy when you’re using the Cadet Manufacturing 05534 baseboard heater in your home.
2. Fahrenheat F2548
The Fahrenheat F2548 is a high powered convection heater which warms the room quickly to make sure you have the most comfort in your living areas. The large wiring compartment, dual knock outs and built in cable lamp makes hard wiring much easier and faster.
The low profile design and 2000 watt motor subtly and discreetly fits into any room with ease whilst providing efficient and even heat. This unit also has an overheating protection feature which protects the unit from being a fire hazard and will shut the unit off when the air intake is blocked. The UL listing ensures safe heating even when mounted flush to the wall or flat on the floor. The chimney fin heating element evenly distributes heat for quick air circulation to eliminate cold spots. With a quiet operation, this heater is ideal for living rooms and bedrooms as you won’t hear it while it works.
- This convection heater is high powered to move air around the room to keep the temperature consistent and even around the room.
- The large wiring compartment and numerous other features make hardwiring much easier and therefore faster.
- The low profile design discreetly fits into any room beautifully without being obtrusive.
- The 2000 watt motor powerfully heats any living area evenly and efficiently.
- The overheating protection feature shuts off the motor when the air intake is blocked or when a high enough temperature has been reached so you can rest easy if using the heater overnight.
- The UL listing guarantees a safe and efficient heater for your home.
- The chimney fin heating element maximizes air circulation for an even heat.
- The quiet operation ensures you won’t be annoyed by the Fahrenheat F2548.
- The white enamel finish is easy to hide in any baseboard in your home to fit with the décor.
- The Fahrenheat F2548 baseboard heater doesn’t come with a thermostat so this will need to be purchased at an additional cost.
- This baseboard must be hardwired so installation can be tricky for those who are trying to do it alone without professional help.
- If you need a professional installer, this can be expensive.
- These cannot heat a room of over 200 square feet alone so you may need to purchase several for larger rooms.
- The lightweight metal can sometimes dent which can damage the heater or ruin its aesthetic.
- The Fahrenheat F2548 baseboard heater is quite expensive to run when using it regularly.
If you are looking for an excellent baseboard heater that will fit into any space and keep your living areas warm and cozy, the Fahrenheat F2548 baseboard heater is a great baseboard heater to consider. This heater is efficient and quick, warming any room quietly and efficiently. The chimney fin design dissipates heat across the room to eliminate hot spots and keeps cold spots to a minimum so that the whole room feels comfortable and warm. With quiet operation and an in built overheating protection, you won’t notice this heater as it gets to work and are completely protected from the heater overworking or a clog in the air supply so you can rest easy should you decide to use this heater overnight or during the day.
Although slightly tricky to install and a little expensive to run, you won’t be sorry you purchased this baseboard heater as it will complete every room with a beautiful finish and snug warmth. If you are looking for the perfect baseboard heater for your living room, bedroom or den, the Fahrenheat F2548 baseboard heater is a high quality, high value option for your home.
3. DIMPLEX 1000W
The DIMPLEX 1000W baseboard heater is a 240V, 1000W heater which offers 40% faster heat flow than standard base board heaters to keep you living areas warm and comfortable all year round. This baseboard heater also responds quickly to changes in temperature to ensure that your home has an even temperature to eliminate cold and hot spots. With a rapid vertical laminar air flow and shark fin blade, this heater heats directly to the ceiling for quick and even dispersal of warm air around the room.
The sleek and compact design fits into any room and any décor and resists fading and abrasion to guarantee a long lasting and beautiful baseboard heater. The specifically formulated Epoxy and Polyester powder coating is environmentally friendly. Crafted with pre-stamped mounting holes and knock out sides, the DIMPLEX 1000W baseboard heater makes installation quick and easy. With CSA certification and an overheating reset, you can be sure that this baseboard heater is completely safe for home use.
- The 240v standard fitting baseboard heater offers 40% faster heat flow than standard models to make sure that your living areas are warm and comfortable as soon as possible.
- With the ability to respond quickly to changes in temperature, your home will be evenly heated to minimize cold and hot spots when the weather changes.
- 42% shorter than other standard models, the DIMPLEX 1000W baseboard heater has a minimalistic design to fit into any room.
- The rapid vertical laminar air flow directs heat to the center of the room for quick and even heating around the room.
- The shark fin blade on a steel tubular element improves heat transfer and dissipation for an even temperature across the room.
- The sleek design is compact and fits into any room design without changing the look of the room.
- Abrasion resistant, this baseboard heater is built to last and maintains its sleek design.
- The powder coating is totally environmentally friendly to protect the baseboard and the environment at the same time.
- Installation is easy with pre-stamped mounting holes and knock out sides.
- CSA certification guarantees the utmost safety with this baseboard heater.
- The built in overheating reset shuts down the heater when the temperature is too high to ensure safety when using this baseboard heater all day or overnight.
- Highly durable, you can be sure that this baseboard heater will last a lifetime to keep your house warm and comfortable for years to come.
- The DIMPLEX 1000W baseboard heater cannot be powered from a standard 120v outlet and will need to be hardwired into the mains.
- Hardwiring can be difficult and you may need professional help which can be expensive.
- There is no thermostat included with your purchase, so you will need to buy this at an extra cost.
For one of the most high quality baseboard heaters on the market, look no further than the DIMPLEX 1000W baseboard heater. This heater spreads warmth around the room quickly and evenly with its innovative design and fast response to temperature changes. Shorter than most standard baseboard heaters, this baseboard heater doesn’t sacrifice power for design. The powdering is completely environmentally friendly and protects the heater from scratches and abrasion to ensure that this baseboard heater won’t fade and will stay sleek as long as possible.
With CSA certification and an overheating reset, you are totally protected with this baseboard heater so you can rest easy knowing that your heater won’t pose a threat when using it during the day or night. Easy to install and incredibly lightweight, this is one of the highest quality baseboard heaters available to keep your home warm and comfortable.
4. KING 4K1210BW K Series
The KING 4K1210BW K Series baseboard heater provides fast and efficient heat for spaces up to 75 square feet with only 750 watts of power to ensure that your home stays warm and comfortable without costing a fortune. The quiet motor is barely noticeable when in use so that you can simply switch on the heater and switch off after a long day. The aluminum ribbon fin element moves heat around the room quickly and efficiently to heat the space faster and more evenly than standard heaters. The natural convection heat moves to the center of the room to keep the space at an even temperature throughout.
The full length safety cut out keeps the hot element away from small fingers while the dent resistant die form cover protects the heater from damage in a busy home. Crafted from industrial strength materials, designed with a baked enable finish, and a crush proof element this is one of the most resilient and durable heaters to ensure it is built to last. The compact design is only three inches in lengths and fits into any space to be in keeping with the baseboard design so as not to be obtrusive and requires very little floor space.
- Using only 750 watts of power, this is one of the most energy efficient baseboard heaters on the market, making it much cheaper to run.
- The quiet running motor ensures you can carry on with daily activities without being irritated by vibrations or excessive noise.
- The aluminum ribbon fin moves the natural convection heat around the room to eliminate cold and hot spots to maintain an even temperature.
- The full length safety cut out keeps the hot element away from children and pets making this the ideal baseboard heater for busy homes.
- The dent resistant industrial grade materials protect the heater from damage from knocks and bumps.
- The baked enamel finish is beautiful and sleek to complete the look of your room.
- At only three inches in lengths and requiring very little floor space, this heater slots into the room without being obtrusive so it is barely even noticeable.
- Requiring very little floor space to install, this is an easy baseboard heater to mount.
- This baseboard heater has one of the lowest space capabilities on the market at only 75 square feet so you may require several to heat larger rooms.
- This is a difficult baseboard heater to install because there are no knock outs and the wires can be tricky to work with.
- The KING 4K1210BW K Series baseboard heater must be used with a thermostat of the same brand, which will need to be purchased separately.
- The metal body of the heater can bend easily which makes it easy to damage when installing.
- The fan is not very powerful so the KING 4K1210BW K Series baseboard heater does not move heat around the room as well as other options available.
If you are looking for a baseboard heater for a smaller room, the KING 4K1210BW K Series baseboard heater is a great option. Lightweight and compact, this heater is capable of heating up to 75 square feet quickly and efficiently. The innovative fin design keeps air moving around the room to provide an even temperature and eliminate cold and hot spots. Quiet enough to forget about, you won’t even notice when this baseboard heater is up and running so that you can carry on with daily activities whilst staying warm and comfortable. For a light duty baseboard heater, this is an excellent option for those who don’t need to heat a great deal of space.
5. TPI H2903024S Series 2900S
The stainless steel heating element in the TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater creates powerful heat whilst being strong and durable, perfect for busy homes. The aluminum fins move air around the room to create an even temperature across the room to eliminate cold and hot spots for premium comfort. Available in white, bronze and ivory, this design comes in many different sizes to ensure that you can find a model that will fit into the décor of your room and provide the heat you need in any sized space.
The junction boxes contains quick connect cable lamps to make installation quick and easy while the six inch ground lead wires keeps this baseboard well grounded and completely safe. The over temperature thermal limit keeps your heater at a safe temperature to ensure your peace of mind when using for long periods of time. The lightweight design weighs only five pounds and makes moving and installing the TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater as easy as possible.
- The stainless steel heating element provides efficient and powerful heating power.
- The aluminum fin moves air towards the center of the room to guarantee natural convection heat and an even temperature throughout.
- Available in a range of colors and sizes, you are sure to find a baseboard heater that will fit your room perfectly with the TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater.
- The junction box contains quick connect table lamps which makes installation incredibly easy, perfect for those with little DIY experience.
- The six inch grounding cables keep your home safe from electrical shortages to give you peace of mind.
- The built in overheating thermal limit ensures the heater will shut off when the temperature exceeds safe limits, making it safe to use for long periods of time.
- The lightweight design is easy to move around and install as it weighs only five pounds.
- The TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater is manufactured in the USA.
- The low wattage is energy efficient and cheap to run.
- The color of the white model is slightly more grey than white which may ruin the design of the room.
- This heater needs to be hard wired and this can be difficult for those who haven’t done this before.
- The TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater dos not come with a thermostat so this will need to be purchased at an extra cost.
- The 375 watt motor does not heat very large spaces so you may need several of these to heat larger rooms which can be expensive and time consuming to install.
If you are looking for a smaller scale baseboard heater, the TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater is an excellent option for smaller rooms. Available in many colors and sizes, you are sure to find an option that fits your room perfectly and completes the room with a sleek design and plenty of warmth. The stainless steel heating element and aluminum fin work together to push air towards the center of the room for an even temperature and to minimize cold and hot spots.
The junction box with quick connect table lamps and lightweight design makes installation easy. The built in overheating limit ensures this heater will shut off when the safe temperature has been exceeded whilst the six inch grounding cables keep this one of the safest options on the market. Although not as powerful as other options, the TPI H2903024S Series 2900S baseboard heater is perfect for smaller rooms and can be coupled with several of these models to ensure the room reaches a comfortable temperature.
6. KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic
The KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater offers a natural, low density convection heat to provide a comfortable and even temperature throughout the room to minimize cold and hot spots. The high mass ceramic element increases the performance of the KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater to effectively transfer heat from the element to the fins and throughout the room. This results in fewer on/off cycles because the ceramic core heats slowly and continues to dissipate heat even when turned off because the heat is retained in the ceramic. The KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater is therefore an excellent alternative to water and oil filled heater which are prone to leaking and too high a pressure.
The full length safety cut out keeps small hands and tiny paws away from the heating element, perfect for busy homes. The dent resistant dye form cover stays free from scratches and dents to maintain a sleek look as long as possible. The 750v motor provides powerful heat and the KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater is available in a range of other sizes to provide enough power to heat any sized room without having to buy multiple heaters.
- The KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater has a low density convection heat to allow the temperature to rise slowly and evenly to minimize temperature difference across the room.
- The ceramic element maintains heat after switching off in a similar way to an oil or water heater which results in fewer on/off cycles and a maintained heat after use without the leaking or build up of pressure.
- The full length safety cut keeps the heating element away from small hands and animals which is ideal for busy homes to ensure safety.
- The dent resistant cover retains its sleek look even which bumps and knocks.
- The dye form cover sustains the color of the unit to reduce risk of fading.
- Available in a range of motor sizes, you are sure to find a model of the KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater that will fit your room and provide adequate power to heat it efficiently.
- The lightweight design is easy to move and install, perfect for those with less experience with DIY.
- The surface temperature stays low to protect you should you get close to the unit.
- The metal can bend easily during installation making it prone to damage if it gets knocked into.
- The shipping packaging is not very strong so the KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater may come damaged which can be annoying.
- This heater is also very noisy which can be irritating in bedrooms or living areas.
- There are no mounting holes to fasten the heater to the wall which can make installation a little bit difficult.
- The ceramic can be slow to heat up so this heater does not give off immediate heat in the way electric options do.
The final baseboard heater option on our guide is the KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater. This baseboard heater is small and efficient, maintaining heat in the ceramic element long after the heater is turned off. Although a little louder than other options, this heater is incredibly safe and effective. With an automatic shut off when the heater gets too hot, you are completely safe when using this heater. The low density natural heat is spread around the room quickly and evenly to give you the highest level of comfort possible allowing you to relax and unwind.
Electric Baseboard Heaters Compared to the Other Heating Solutions
Hydronic Baseboard Heaters
Electric heaters are generally much more economical than other heating solutions because they are cleaner and have much more power efficiency compared to other options. Electric convection heaters are usually cheaper than hydronic options to buy and run and are much more reliable because there is no risk of leaks of liquid and lubricant, there is no fan motor to burn out and there are no moving parts to maintain. Electric heaters also dissipate heat immediately, which means there is no need to prepare a room before you can use it, simply switch on and get cozy.
Hydronic heaters are much slower to heat but last a lot longer because the liquid will remain heated after the power is turned off. The downside is that there are fewer options available and they are generally more expensive to purchase and maintain due to the need to replace the liquids. In fact, they can be up to four times more expensive than electric options. Hydronic options also take longer to install as they need to be fitted to the water supply to power them properly, which can take time in the process and you will be waiting longer before you can use it.
Oil Filled Electric Heaters
Oil heaters hold heat much longer than electric options because the oil stays warm after the heating element has be turned off. However, oil filled heaters are much more expensive to run than electric heaters. They need the oil to be replaced every time it runs out and this will be more expensive than running an electric baseboard heater. Oil heaters are also less safe than electric options because the oil may leak and if it overheats it poses a real risk of fire. This makes electric heaters much more suitable for home use because they are safer, cheaper and more efficient.
Heaters with Fan
Heaters with a fan cost a little more to run because they need more energy to power them because of the fanning function but they spread the heat around the room much more efficiently due to the fan pushing the air out of the heater. The fan moves the hot air around the room to eliminate hot and cold spots to maintain a more even temperature which is better for bigger rooms. There are many sizes available with fan heaters, which makes it suitable for any room. The main drawback to a fan heater is that they are louder than other options on the market due to the fan.
There are many different alternatives to an electric heater such as a natural gas option which will need to be installed into your gas line. This option offers all of the benefits of a gas heater with the added benefit of being cheaper to run because there is no need to buy additional gas tanks, it simply runs from the national supply. There is also an infrared heater, which is electric powered but radiates heat from the heater rather than heating an element. These options are energy efficient but may be more expensive to run than other heaters available.
Is Ceramic Baseboard Heater a Better Solution?
A ceramic baseboard is a great middle ground between electric heating and oil or water based heating. This is because the ceramic element maintains the heat after the element is turned off in the same way an oil or water based heater would. This gives you a lower energy bill without the risk of liquid spilling or becoming too pressurized in the tank of the heater. Ceramic baseboard heaters also eliminate the need to replace the water or oil within the heater whilst still achieving the same benefits.
The main drawback to ceramic heaters is that they usually won’t get as hot as oil or water heaters and are usually smaller in size which may not be suitable for larger rooms. Whether a ceramic heater is a better solution for you really depends on the level of heat you want to achieve and in what sized room.
Electronic Baseboard Heaters Energy Efficiency
Electric baseboard heaters are considered to be one of the most energy efficient kinds of baseboard heaters on the market. However, there are many different kinds of electronic baseboard heater which heat via different methods which can change the energy efficiency somewhat. For example, a heater with a fan will be more energy efficient because the hot air will move more around the room but will be more expensive to run because it also needs to power the fan.
If you have an electric baseboard heater or are looking to buy one, there are a few things to consider to increase the efficiency of the unit. First, consider installing a timer of some sort. This will eliminate the need to remember to turn it off at night or during the day and this will limit the amount of energy lost heating a room which doesn’t need it. Most timers will also allow you to set a time for the heater to come on so that you can come home to a warm house.
Second, monitor the thermostat carefully. We sometimes overestimate how high we need the temperature to go to become comfortable and we sometimes turn it too high because it gives us the impression the room is heating faster. Set your timer to a comfortable temperature and allow it to catch up. If you feel the room is getting to warm, turn it down or off so that you don’t waste power.
Just because something claims to be 100% energy efficient, this doesn’t mean it is the cheapest to run. There are a number of ways you can increase the efficiency of your electric baseboard heater to make sure you get the most out of your heater with the least out of your wallet.
Built In Thermostat
Built in thermostats have their benefits, mostly that they don’t require an additional purchase in order to control the baseboard heater. However, they do have several drawbacks which makes an independent thermostat a more convenient option. Most electric baseboard heaters do not come with a built in thermostat. In fact, all of the models on our list require a thermostat to be sold separately to allow for proper installation. This can be annoying as some models require a thermostat of the same brand as the heater itself.
Some models available to have a built in thermostat but these aren’t generally as accurate as one which is hardwired into the heater independently. Independent thermostats can be both dial and digital to give you a better idea of the temperature of the room and the heater than a built in thermostat, which can be too close to the heater to get an accurate reading. Independent thermostats can also be placed at eye level so there is no need to bend down to adjust one on the body of the baseboard heater, which may suit you better than a built in thermostat.
Size, Material & Color
When buying a baseboard heater there are a number of things to consider before you purchase. This might be the size of the room you are buying for, the material which would fit best and the color of the baseboard you are trying to fit the heater into. These considerations will change the model of baseboard heater you buy as you will need to buy a heater which fits both the size and décor of your room properly so as not to stick out and ruin the feel of the room.
Small or Large
The size of the baseboard heater depends on a number of things. First and most obviously, it depends on the size of the room you are fitting it into, but for several reasons. First, you will need a baseboard heater to fit lengthwise into a space. This means measuring the installation space and making sure you buy a model which will be just the right size to fit but not leave too much space on either side as this can cause a draft.
Secondly, you will need a baseboard heater which is powerful enough to heat the size of the room in square feet. This will change the size of the baseboard heater because it may need to be larger in order to provide the right level of power for your room. To check whether a baseboard heater is large enough to heat your room, measure the square footage of the room before you buy. Make sure to check the heater’s specifications to see how many square feet it is capable of heating and check this against the size of your room. If it is not powerful enough, you may need to buy more than one baseboard heater to provide an even temperature across the room.
Metal or Plastic
Baseboard heaters are available in two different materials, metal and plastic. Plastic heaters are much cheaper and still offer the same high quality heat. Plastic baseboard heaters are available in a variety of colors and textures to fit in to the design of your home to provide a sleek and subtle finish to your room. However, plastic baseboard heaters can melt if the heater malfunctions which can damage the heater or at least ruin the look of it. They are also less durable from knocks and can be scratched easily which can ruin the finish.
If you are looking for something more durable, a metal baseboard heater is the option to go for. Metal baseboard heaters are also available in a range of colors, although less than plastic options, so that they can fit into the design of many different rooms. Metal baseboard heaters are also much more resilient against dents or scratches by virtue of being metal. If you have a busy home or are worried about damaging the finish of your baseboard heater, we recommend a metal model to ensure reliability and resilience for years to come.
Baseboard heaters are available in a range of different colors so that you can find one to fit into the décor of your home. The most common colors are white or ivory as this is the color of many baseboards in the US. However, if you are looking for a very specific color of baseboard heater, it is possible there is an option with this color. On the other hand, you can also purchase a baseboard cover to both protect those around the heater from the heat and protect the heater from dust and debris whilst making sure the cover fits into the design of the room. This is the perfect combination of safety and style.
Heating Elements: Quality and Crush Proofing
The quality of your baseboard heater largely depends on the heating elements inside it. There are a number of simple metal options in this guide which offer a great deal of power but not many other benefits. If you are looking for a superior quality baseboard heater, you need to consider the heating element and its quality to make sure you get the right option.
The KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater offers a ceramic heating element rather than a metal option and these elements are of much higher quality. This is because ceramic retains the heat from the electric power long after the heater is turned off. These kinds of elements keep your room warm for much longer to make sure that you don’t have to pay as much to keep the room as warm.
Another feature you should consider is whether or not the heating element has crush proofing. Crush proofing protects the wires from any dents or damage the heater might experience to give it a much better reliability and make it much more durable. Crush proofing is a system of ribbon finning bonded to an aluminum sheath which surrounds the element and wires and protects them from damage. This option is available in all KING baseboard heaters on this list and we highly recommend it to ensure the longevity of your baseboard heater, especially in busy homes.
Baseboard Heater Safety
If you are looking to install a baseboard heater, there are a few things you need to do to make sure that your family stays safe when using the heaters, as well as staying cozy and warm. To make sure that you have all of the information you need, Surf’n’Buy have some of their best safety tips for baseboard heaters to give you full security with your purchase so that you and your family can rest easy.
A baseboard heater gets its name due to its placement, it sits in the area you would usually have a baseboard and is around eight to ten inches tall and about two to eight feet in length depending on the room. This puts it at the perfect placement for small children to play with which can be dangerous.
Your baseboard heater needs to be placed in an area where there is plenty of air flow for the heater to work properly and away from places where something could potentially fall and block the heater, but also in an area away from children and pets. If placing your heater in a child’s room, consider also buying a cage or cover to keep small hands away from the heat so that they don’t get hurt.
Air flow is essential for a properly working baseboard heater. For a baseboard heater to work properly, air must be drawn into the heater and warmed through the element before it is blown back out again. This means that nothing can be placed in front of it which could potentially block the flow of air and stop the heater working properly.
You should also be careful nothing falls in front of the heater as this can be a fire hazard. If an item of clothing or a blanket should fall in front of the heater, it will warm it very quickly and this is dangerous. It is recommended that you purchase a guard of some kind to protect the area in front of the heater and keep it clear. If you have anything hanging nearby, make sure it is not so low as to touch the heater and keep furniture away from the output of the heater to make sure it stays cool and doesn’t overheat.
You should only ever have one thermostat controlling your heaters, even if you are planning to have several heaters in the same room. It will be too difficult to make sure that each thermostat is at the same temperature and to go around changing all of the temperatures at once. If you have different thermostats, they will be influenced by the heat around the room and will turn on and off at different times. By only having one, all your heaters will turn on and off at the same time, giving you more control over the temperature and much more peace of mind about the safety of the room. After all, if one vent gets blocked and overheats, you don’t want the other heaters to continue to heat it up. Shutting them all down and solving the problem ensures the safety of the entire household.
If you are using your baseboard heaters during the night or want to heat the house before you arrive home, the safest way to do these things is timers. Timers will allow you to keep the room comfortable when you go to bed without it being on all night. You can set the thermostat to turn off after you fall asleep then turn back on when you are about to wake up, or when you are almost home. This also improves energy efficiency as you are not wasting energy warming a house you are not in.
Caution with Pets and Children
Baseboard heaters are low enough for children and pets to get rather close to which can be a safety hazard. The best way to have caution with your little loved ones is to purchase a model such as the KING 4CB2407BW CB Ceramic baseboard heater which maintains a low temperature on the surface of the heater whilst the inside stays hot. Most models also have a full length protective cover to keep the heating element away from small hands. Another option is to purchase a cage or cover to place around the heater to keep little ones away from it at all times.
Remember to Vacuum Regularly
The final thing to remember is that you need to vacuum around the heater regularly to make sure the surrounding area is clear from dust. When the heater pulls in air it also pulls in the dust and debris around it which can block the heater and cause it to overheat which is incredibly dangerous. By vacuuming regularly, you can maintain a clean area around the heater and minimize the risk of blockages. This takes away a lot of the risk and makes the heater less of a fire hazard.
There are many other safety steps you can take to protect your family when using heating solutions, but these are the most important when using a baseboard heater specifically.
Plug in vs Cable Electric Baseboard Heater
All of the models in our guide are hardwired baseboard heaters, but you may be wondering whether a plug in model is a better option for your needs. Plug in models are great if you are looking for a baseboard heater which is not permanent and you only need temporarily because they can be taken away and stored if need be. This makes them easy to move around the home and only heat the areas that need it most. A big drawback to plug in heaters, though, is that you always have to be near a mains outlet. This may require extension cables and this can be an eyesore and a dangerous tripping hazard. With a plug in heater, you can also only go up to 120v in a standard home. This is plenty for a temporary fix but wont heat an entire room.
However, if you are looking to permanently install a baseboard heater, a hardwire cable electric baseboard heater is by far the best option for many different reasons. Although they are a little harder and more time consuming to install, hardwired baseboard heaters are first and foremost much more energy efficient and cheaper to run because they pull energy straight from the mains. You also won’t be annoyed by irritating cables or extension cables around the room which can be a bit of an eyesore.
Hardwire cable electric heaters are also much easier to control with an independent thermostat which goes off the temperature in the room rather than the temperature around the heater. They also have a higher range of wattages so that you can heat an entire room with one heater rather than one space in the room. This gives you more control over the heat of the room and can even offer you a timing function if you wish to make the heater turn on and off automatically when you need it.
Overall, hardwired cable electric heaters are by far the better option for those who are looking for a permanent heating solution in the home. However, they are difficult to install and even more difficult to remove should you choose your mind later. Yet, we here at Surf’n’Buy think that the initial installation process is definitely worth the effort for the benefits that these heaters can add into the home and the warm comfort that they can provide for you and your family.
Voltage: 110v vs 120v vs 240v
Throughout this guide you’ll have seen a lot of information on voltages which may not make a lot of sense, especially since they are paired with wattages which just proves to make the whole thing even more confusing. Surf’n’Buy would like to make the process a little simpler by explaining what each of the voltages mean so that you can better understand which of these options might be best for you. There are three different voltage levels, 110v, 120v, and 240v and each of these options will offer different levels of power from your baseboard heater. Here, we will compare them to help you find the right option.
The main thing you need to know is that they will essentially be referring to the exact same thing. 120 volts on a single wire will most likely drop to about 115 volts by the time it powers your appliance. If you are using extension cord, it could drop even further. This is where the different terms come from. Appliances with a 110v rating tells you that it is tested to operate at a lower voltage and still work perfectly even with an extension cord.
If there is resistance in the wiring of the appliance, the voltage of the appliance will drop before it is powered. If you see a voltage rating of below 120 volts, this is the resistance loss it can take and still be successfully powered. The main drawback to this lower voltage is that it won’t allow for as powerful a wattage and you won’t achieve as much heat from your heater.
120 volts is the standard level of power drawn from most appliances. This will use the same power as supplied to it and is the most energy efficient option in terms of voltage because nothing is wasted and nothing is overdrawn. This voltage gives you a higher range of wattages to provide you with plenty of power for your home and plenty of heat from your heater.
Most homes in the US are provided with a 240 volt split feed which consists of two 120 VAC waves which are at 180 degrees from one another. As the power waves oscillate (move as a wave), this provides a consistent level of power into your appliance. Therefore, your appliance is always getting around 120 volts of power. If an appliance needs 240 volts of power it will need either professional wiring into the mains of the home, which will need an electrician, or an industrial level plug. It will also draw more power from the electric source and cost more to run.
Electric Baseboard Heater Covers
To keep little children and pets safe from the baseboard heater, and to keep the baseboard heater free from dust and debris, a baseboard heater is one of the best ways to keep the heater and the family separated. There are many options available to buy and you can even make your own. However, they are highly recommended to ensure the safety of your home and the proper functioning of your baseboard heater.
Baseboard heater covers also allow you to change the design and look of the heater which might not perfectly fit into the design of the room. You can change the color or texture of the cover to fit better with the feel of the room to give you the perfect mix between comfort and style.
With so many cover options available, you are sure to find one that fits the size of the heater and the feel of the room. However, if you’re particularly handy or into DIY you can always make your own design to really blend into the décor.
That’s all we have for electric baseboard heaters. We hope this guide has helped you to find everything you need when it comes to baseboard heaters because we know that they are some of the best and most subtle heating solutions available to keep your home looking sleek and beautiful.
If you are looking for the highest of quality, the Fahrenheat F2548 baseboard heater is a high powered convection heater which offers premium power, even heat and numerous innovative safety features to keep your family warm and comfortable whilst protecting them from overheating or blocked air flow. If you are looking for the best product available, the Fahrenheat F2548 is the option for you.
However, if you are looking to buy multiple baseboard heaters for one room, the Cadet Manufacturing 05534 baseboard heater offers a range of voltages and power so that you can customize the room perfectly for the perfect level of heat. If you’re looking for something that works quickly and efficiently, then the DIMPLEX 1000W baseboard heater is the option for you. With 40% faster air flow and heating capabilities, this heater gets to work immediately to provide you with coziness and comfort as soon as you turn it on.
We hope this guide has helped you find the right electric baseboard heater for your home so that you can stay cozy this Christmas with your friends and loved ones. With so many options to choose from, we here at Surf’n’Buy are certain this guide has an option for you and we hope to see you again soon in one of our other guides.