Halloween with no pumpkins is no Halloween; and what better way to mark this remarkable occasion than a dessert pumpkin pie! A delicious pumpkin pie generously topped with a huge whipped cream serving! If you want to surprise your family and friends on Thanksgiving, this homemade pumpkin pie recipe is just the ideal gift. So, how do you make your own pie? Here is a recipe of how to make your own Halloween homemade pumpkin pie.
Check it out.
Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Typically, this is an unfussy, yet classic pumpkin pie recipe. You can either plain or, if you are feeling a little feisty, you can take it with a dollop of some softly whipped cream. In this recipe, the spices are relatively mild, but if you prefer our pie slightly spicy, you can increase the ginger and cinnamon slightly.
- Course: Dessert
- Overall Prep: 30 minutes
- Overall Cook Time: 65 minutes
- Servings: 8 slices
For the Pie Crust:
- 1 homemade or purchased pie crust
Filling for the Pumpkin Pie:
- Ground cinnamon (1 teaspoon )
- Brown sugar (1 cup )
- 1 15-ounce pumpkin puree can
- 1/2 teaspoon or a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger (ground)
- Evaporated milk 1 and 1/4 cups
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- all-purpose flour (1 teaspoon)
- 1/8 tablespoon cloves (ground)
- 3 lightly beaten large eggs
Pie crust preparation:
- Start by pre-heating your oven to approximately 400F heat.
- To prepare your pie crust by subsequently spreading this dough to a diameter of about 12-inches. Follow this by transferring the dough carefully to a plate (9-inch diameter) and ensure that it is approximately 1.5 inches in depth. Tenderly fit the dough in the plate and trim the surplus dough while fluting the edges.
- Use foil paper or parchment paper to line your dough, ensuring that you cover the bottom, as well as snuggly, fit it in the upsides and corners. Afterwards, add pie weights to fill it (dry rice or dried beans)
- Bake your crust at the earlier set 400F temperature for between 10 and 15 minutes.
- Remove it from your oven and also take out the foil/parchment paper as well as the weights.
- Return your crust into the oven and then bake for 5 more minutes.
- Take it out from the oven. Let it cool.
Tip: Aluminum foil ensures the food remains moist, facilitates even cooking, keeps the leftovers fresh, not to mention easing the cleaning process.
Preparing the filling:
- Whisk together your flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, as well as the cloves in a large bowl until they combine well
- Similarly, whisk the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, and the eggs together with a blender or electric mixer in another bowl until they combine well.
- Lastly, pour both mixes into one bowl and mix them until they combine thoroughly. You can use a blender or an electric mixer.
Pumpkin pie preparation:
- Take your pie filling and pour it into the pie crust (partially baked).
- Place the mixture back into your oven and then bake it at 400F. Do this for between 40 and 50 minutes or bake until the center of the crust mixture is just about set (until it is slightly wobbly).
- Take it out of your oven and place it on the counter top to cool completely. This can usually be between 2 to 3 hours.
- Once cooled, cover it tightly and then refrigerate it overnight or for a few hours.
Pumpkin Pie Tips:
How do you tell that your pie is done?
Take out your pie from the oven when you notice that most of it has a shiny look on top. Usually, it ought to jiggle a little as with jello. The pie’s middle might appear somewhat wet on top, but this is okay since it will continue cooking as the pie slowly cools. One other final test you can do is to take a knife and plunge it deep into our pie. If the knife comes out clean, then your pie is ready. As your pie cools, it will subsequently continue cooking and setting. Usually, this can take about 2 hours.
- Cover your pie crusts’ edges with a distinct pie crust shield to prevent over-browning
- You can make the pie crust a few days prior (2 or 3 days) but you will need to wrap it tightly and refrigerate it until you decide to use. The same goes for your pie’s filling.
- Ensure you don’t over bake your pie as this can result in cracks on your pumpkin pie! Usually, bake it for between 40-45 minutes, and as it cools, its center will cook completely and subsequently firm up.
- Prep time is not inclusive of the cooling time.